Anyone found the roads less busy and/or motorists driving better?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
hemo

Re: Anyone found the roads less busy and/or motorists driving better?

Postby hemo » 21 Mar 2020, 9:34am

Surely now wherever any reunion was to be held it will no longer happen.

As regards to traffic certainly in parts of Surrey yesterday traffic was almost very light to non existent and past 1800hrs I only saw mainly key workers/delivery vehicle son the road.
This morning early little road traffic, super market car parks were already pretty well full at 07.40 as I e-biked in to town.

mjr

Postby mjr » 21 Mar 2020, 11:09am

It was light traffic here most of yesterday, but then heavier than usual in the evening. I suspect the reports of Londoners heading for second homes on the coast now that schools have closed are true. Lynn had its first two C19 deaths confirmed yesterday. They won't be the last.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.

johncarnie

Some groups did not read the memo!

Postby johncarnie » 21 Mar 2020, 11:36am

Out for my solo ride this morning, lots of solo cyclists about, BUT 3 groups of at least 10 doubling up!

Bonefishblues

Re: Some groups did not read the memo!

Postby Bonefishblues » 21 Mar 2020, 11:37am

Was also the case in Bicester this morning, I noticed.

Carlton green

Postby Carlton green » 21 Mar 2020, 1:24pm

Some folk really aren’t understanding what’s going on or think that what ever restrictions are in place either apply to others only and can simply be ignored. I’ve always thought that there was a difference between a Cyclist and a person on a bike, a Cyclist being the later but with a bit more about them and more interest in both the folk around them and the well being of the world in general. Maybe I’m wrong, but when we became Cycling U.K. we diluted something special that the CTC had and gained folk who had different attitudes (like me first and go faster regardless).

Cugel

Postby Cugel » 21 Mar 2020, 1:39pm

Carlton green wrote:Some folk really aren’t understanding what’s going on or think that what ever restrictions are in place either apply to others only and can simply be ignored. I’ve always thought that there was a difference between a Cyclist and a person on a bike, a Cyclist being the later but with a bit more about them and more interest in both the folk around them and the well being of the world in general. Maybe I’m wrong, but when we became Cycling U.K. we diluted something special that the CTC had and gained folk who had different attitudes (like me first and go faster regardless).

Iss, iss! The change of label to CUK attracted all them 4chan cuks, which are numerous there. 4chan is noted for the overwhelming presence of self-centred little skinbag loonpots of every ilk & tittle.

On the other hand, 4chan creatures, including the cuks, are not known for their ability to get out of the computer chair to exercise anything beyond their typing finger and junkfud-chomping maw. Many seem unable to walk let alone ride a bike about vigorously.

So ...... your sociological analysis of cuks-on-a-bike may be faulty, perhaps to the same degree as astrological predictions or homeopathic explanations of medicinal processes.

Cugel, anthropologically interested in the effects of The Corona on various zeitgeists and socially-rendered mind-states.

Morzedec

Postby Morzedec » 21 Mar 2020, 1:45pm

Um: Cug, a translation, please? Sorry if I'm a little dim or slow, but if this is important then I'd like to join in.

Happy days? - Not too sure.
Image Attachments
Donzere.jpg

hemo

Postby hemo » 21 Mar 2020, 1:52pm

The ejits will always stick together.

gaz

Postby gaz » 21 Mar 2020, 2:41pm

Earlier anecdote was based on a couple of trips to/from work on my usual traffic-lite route and some walking about near both work and home.

Update to the anecdote following shopping trip yesterday and a present drop today, both on busier roads through town and residential streets. Much less traffic. More speeding. Some very inattentive driving.

I'm being particularly wary around junctions. Drivers usually only look for motor vehicles, now they're looking with even less expectation of seeing one.
2020 : To redundancy ... and beyond!

PH

Postby PH » 21 Mar 2020, 3:09pm

Carlton green wrote:Maybe I’m wrong, but when we became Cycling U.K. we diluted something special that the CTC had and gained folk who had different attitudes (like me first and go faster regardless).

Those who like to knock CTC/CUK never seem to pass up an opportunity to do so, but there is nothing in the OP to suggest these groups had anything to do with the CTC.
My local CTC group (very much still CTC and doing what it’s done for nearly 100 years) cancelled the entire five rides a week program was soon as advised to do so. As far as I’m aware the neighbouring MGs have done the same.

gxaustin

Postby gxaustin » 21 Mar 2020, 3:23pm

I saw loads of cyclists out today - in 1s and 2s, but keeping apart

softlips

Postby softlips » 21 Mar 2020, 3:48pm

mercalia wrote:
softlips wrote:Central London was virtually empty today. Lovely cycling through.

I have been wondering about London. At what time of the day? I never like going up there becuase of the all crowds

I got the train from Doncaster to Kings Cross, getting off the train at 10:00 and cyclist to Kings College Hopital, cycled back around 15:00. Train home to Doncaster. The trains were virtually empty.

mjr

Postby mjr » 21 Mar 2020, 4:08pm

PH wrote:
Carlton green wrote:Maybe I’m wrong, but when we became Cycling U.K. we diluted something special that the CTC had and gained folk who had different attitudes (like me first and go faster regardless).

Those who like to knock CTC/CUK never seem to pass up an opportunity to do so, but there is nothing in the OP to suggest these groups had anything to do with the CTC.
My local CTC group (very much still CTC and doing what it’s done for nearly 100 years) cancelled the entire five rides a week program was soon as advised to do so. As far as I’m aware the neighbouring MGs have done the same.

Local CTC member group has cancelled, as has klwnbug, but one CTC affiliate group is currently discussing on social media how to subvert the advice. :evil:
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.

The utility cyclist

Postby The utility cyclist » 21 Mar 2020, 4:18pm

hemo wrote:Surely now wherever any reunion was to be held it will no longer happen.

As regards to traffic certainly in parts of Surrey yesterday traffic was almost very light to non existent and past 1800hrs I only saw mainly key workers/delivery vehicle son the road.
This morning early little road traffic, super market car parks were already pretty well full at 07.40 as I e-biked in to town.

We're having a private mickey up and BBQ in one of the lads back gardens, loads are coming 8) :lol:
roads still busy yesterday on one of the main shopping/residential areas, went to the beach this morning, plenty of people driving and East Yorkshire is very low pop density which is why I enjoy cycling that way from the smoke.

The utility cyclist

Postby The utility cyclist » 21 Mar 2020, 4:20pm

mjr wrote:It was light traffic here most of yesterday, but then heavier than usual in the evening. I suspect the reports of Londoners heading for second homes on the coast now that schools have closed are true. Lynn had its first two C19 deaths confirmed yesterday. They won't be the last.

Congestion charge has been lifted by the anti cycling mayor, hardly surprising that London roads might be busier at times.