Covid 19 and Spitting

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
carlislemike

Covid 19 and Spitting

Postby carlislemike » 27 Mar 2020, 10:04am

Ok, spitting is not necessarily high etiquette in social circumstances but when cycling, it is necessary. However, is the consensus that you shouldn’t in these days of Covid 19? Must say, after a real slog, I can’t see how it can be curbed. Obviously cycling alone there’s no whip back effect on others but is acceptable?

kwackers

Re: Covid 19 and Spitting

Postby kwackers » 27 Mar 2020, 10:11am

Some folk seem to be habitual spitters when exercising (or indeed not).
Can't say I've ever seen the point of losing valuable liquid.

In fact the only time I've ever spat was when I got a wasp in my mouth (it still managed to sting me even though it came out in several parts).

Cyril Haearn

Postby Cyril Haearn » 27 Mar 2020, 11:13am

Disgusting, not necessary, swallow it!

I really hate people who lick their fingers when handling cash at the food store etc, I mean I hate the habit :?
Last edited by Cyril Haearn on 27 Mar 2020, 11:39am, edited 1 time in total.
Entertainer, kidult, curmudgeon
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we dislike mortons

100%JR

Postby 100%JR » 27 Mar 2020, 11:24am

My advice is if you feel you need to then do so but don't admit to it especially on the internet :wink:

MOARspeed

Postby MOARspeed » 27 Mar 2020, 2:42pm

Cyril Haearn wrote:Disgusting, not necessary, swallow it!

I really hate people who lick their fingers when handling cash at the food store etc, I mean I hate the habit :?

At work we use biometric scanners for clocking in/out, if you roll up after everyone else, you get to put your finger into 40 different brands of spit, as the <FFE> don't understand that if it's not working, then their hands are simply too cold. :x
Last edited by Graham on 27 Mar 2020, 9:11pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: FFE . . .family-friendly edit

pwa

Postby pwa » 27 Mar 2020, 2:57pm

At work a week or two back a colleague had those thin plastic gloves on (alternative to latex) and found his Samsung phone, that goes off fingerprints, let him in anyway :lol:

fullupandslowingdown

Postby fullupandslowingdown » 27 Mar 2020, 5:48pm

MOARspeed wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:Disgusting, not necessary, swallow it!

At work we use biometric scanners for clocking in/out, if you roll up after everyone else, you get to put your finger into 40 different brands of spit, as the <FFE> don't understand that if it's not working, then their hands are simply too cold. :x

steady on there son, they only told us to make sure your finger is clean. Maybe clearer instruction is required.
Last edited by fullupandslowingdown on 28 Mar 2020, 12:20am, edited 2 times in total.

carlislemike

Postby carlislemike » 27 Mar 2020, 6:00pm

Wow a different turn. Went out after posting this original thread start, to return to the replies and find I’m a pariah. Ride today was not strenuous but spotted a lot of kitted out cyclists but not in club gear. Lot of spitting at the top of Westow Hill as they recovered from that beastly ascent. No real answer. Lots of clubs ask you to check before you let fly, obviously an issue all round. As for other things like wetting fingers before counting cash, that is totally unacceptable. You could get high on the coke traces on some of those!

botty

Postby botty » 27 Mar 2020, 7:12pm

it is necessary.

No it's not. Stop it!

Cunobelin

Postby Cunobelin » 27 Mar 2020, 9:19pm

botty wrote:
it is necessary.

No it's not. Stop it!

+1

The Coronavirus you just shared with the population can survive several days... thank you

Lots of people have coughs at the moment and many will be Covid related. They have all the same "problems" so by default should be allowed to spit all over the place?

There is no need and no excuse

ferrit worrier

Postby ferrit worrier » 28 Mar 2020, 7:33am

I remember when I was a nipper buses had a sign up inside " please refrain from spitting. Spitting causes consumption ((TB) " no need to spit it's your body fluid keep it, I don't want it.
Percussive maintainance, if it don't fit, hit it with the hammer.

peetee

Postby peetee » 28 Mar 2020, 8:57am

It’s gross. So is the habit of high velocity nostril cleaning that I have seen in fast club runs.
As for disposal of tissues I am incredulous that the NHS is not more specific about where this should be done. They state that they should be binned but say nothing about that bin being covered which, I would have thought, must be an important consideration. A living room bin by an open door or window would be inadvisable, surely?
Current status report:
Back on two wheels in deepest Pastyland and loving every minute. Mission: to enjoy big, bad hills again.

mikeymo

Postby mikeymo » 28 Mar 2020, 9:42am

Mmmm. Fascinating, uplifting subject for discussion. Perhaps we should open it up to look at other "essential" personal habits:

Nose picking - best digit to use? Dominant hand or not? Eat it afterwards?

Ear wax removal - q-tip or pencil? Or leave it to the professionals?

Onanism - alone or with a partner? Preferred brand of tissue? Electrical assistance - yes or no?

On the other hand, maybe some things really are best kept to oneself. Bodily fluids, for instance.

RickH

Postby RickH » 29 Mar 2020, 6:31pm

peetee wrote:A living room bin by an open door or window would be inadvisable, surely?

Why do you think that?

Are you worried the tissues might get blown away by a gust of wind & contaminate someone? Viruses aren't going to be suddenly jumping out of the window to make their escape! :wink:

MikeF

Postby MikeF » 29 Mar 2020, 7:02pm

Spitting is not necessary at all. It's a disgusting filthy habit and you shouldn't be doing it at anytime let alone under current circumstances.
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master