Is this a fake?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
mikeymo

Re: Is this a fake?

Post by mikeymo »

[XAP]Bob wrote:
mikeymo wrote:
kwackers wrote:It's also the same technique used in films to make the background fall away or come closer, they zoom (or go wide) whilst simultaneously moving the camera to keep the subject the same size in the frame.

Yes, I know how dolly zoom works thanks. That's in movies, this is a still.

But a movie is just a sequence of photos.

The 84,432nd photo in Vertigo is my favourite.
mikeymo

Post by mikeymo »

Some of the comments here:

https://road.cc/content/news/mail-accused-distorting-truth-mamil-madness-story-272475

pretty much echo what I said. for instance:

"It's a clickbait ponzi scheme."

On those occasions when I end up visiting the Daily Mail website, prompted to do so by some outraged liberal progressive vegan Guardian-reading lefty :wink: I usually give up fairly soon. The amount of pop up adverts makes the whole thing unusable.

And never mind distortion and lies caused by using "zoom" lenses, I particularly like:

"And here they're attacking a guy #running who is miles away from anyone else." There's some real distortion of distance going on there.

Still, it's good that "Regent's Park Cyclists" have cancelled their organised group rides. Just like every cycling club round here.
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

mikeymo wrote:I'm the only person who's actually bothered to make a serious effort to find out how far apart the cyclists are, longitudinally, by comparing the distances apart to road markings. I don't know exactly where they are, as I don't know Regent's Park. Google Street View doesn't allow downloads, but if they were on the Outer Circular they could be a very long distance apart. I'm not enough of an expert to be able to tell from the photograph. And I daresay even a professional photographer would need know the image format (probably "full frame") to even have a hope of estimating lens focal length and object distance.

You can measure stuff in google maps.

I had a look around the outer circle and the marks are all about the same distance apart which is 3.5m.
So you're looking at 7m between the first and second place bicycles ignoring any lateral offset.

That's a hugely long lens.
mikeymo

Post by mikeymo »

kwackers wrote:
mikeymo wrote:I'm the only person who's actually bothered to make a serious effort to find out how far apart the cyclists are, longitudinally, by comparing the distances apart to road markings. I don't know exactly where they are, as I don't know Regent's Park. Google Street View doesn't allow downloads, but if they were on the Outer Circular they could be a very long distance apart. I'm not enough of an expert to be able to tell from the photograph. And I daresay even a professional photographer would need know the image format (probably "full frame") to even have a hope of estimating lens focal length and object distance.

You can measure stuff in google maps.

I had a look around the outer circle and the marks are all about the same distance apart which is 3.5m.
So you're looking at 7m between the first and second place bicycles ignoring any lateral offset.

That's a hugely long lens.

Yes, that's why I used the word "if", as I was making a comparison to the other photographs of parking place markings I have already posted. You'll need to look back in this thread. There's a limit to how much work I'm prepared to do to get at "the truth"

Apparently they were at some lights:

https://twitter.com/RPcyclists/status/1246790536217989121/photo/1
https://twitter.com/RPcyclists/status/1246790536217989121/photo/2
robing

Post by robing »

The irony is that the anti cycling brigade are angry that cyclists stopped at a red light :roll:
DaveReading

Post by DaveReading »

Photo taken from a long way away = fake.

I've learned something new.
The utility cyclist

Post by The utility cyclist »

fullupandslowingdown wrote:blimey. of course it's taken with a telephoto..
though admittedly some are level with others, the general distancing is in accordance with rules.
But we were told not to go in groups, and distance or no distance, this is still clearly a group run.
But when was it actually taken. If you go back through all the google results, it's earliest appearance is "2 days" ago, with several appearances between 1 and 2 days ago. So unless the photographer with his professional kit, was quick to return to base from his sojourn to Regents Park for essential business, then the picture could have been taken even before 2 days ago.

Cyclists were photographed riding extremely close together through Regents Park in London,

taxileaks london
again I say, let us remember who had said what, who did what, when all this is over, and show our approval through our patronage.

I for one would prefer if london taxi drivers wouldn't pass so extremely close to me.

© Licensed to London News Pictures. 04/04/2020. London, UK. Cyclists exercising in close proximity around Regents Park in London, during a pandemic outbreak of the Coronavirus COVID-19 disease. The public have been told they can only leave their homes when absolutely essential, in an attempt to fight the spread of coronavirus COVID-19 disease. Photo credit: Ben Cawthra/LNP

No it isn't, you have no idea, there are people riding bikes distanced correctly all about to hit traffic lights.
fullupandslowingdown

Re: Is this misleading photojournalism?

Post by fullupandslowingdown »

exhibit0.png

© Licensed to London News Pictures. Photo credit: Ben Cawthra/LNP

waiting at the lights.

exhibit1.png

note the cyclist on the outside white helmet, black mufti

exhibit2.png

note where white helmet, black mufti has gone, in the space of 4 white line segments, cutting across the young lady who was giving the look to the older guy in yellow.

Nah, you're completely correct, none of these cyclists were riding in a group, I apologise for misleading the others. I don't suppose it suggests irresponsible cycling by one cyclist either.
mikeymo

Post by mikeymo »

The utility cyclist wrote:No it isn't, you have no idea, there are people riding bikes distanced correctly all about to hit traffic lights.

Absolutely. The traffic lights at the junction of Smith Square and St John's Avenue I think, please correct me if I'm wrong.
The utility cyclist

Post by The utility cyclist »

fullupandslowingdown wrote:
waiting at the lights.

note the cyclist on the outside white helmet, black mufti

note where white helmet, black mufti has gone, in the space of 4 white line segments, cutting across the young lady who was giving the look to the older guy in yellow.

Nah, you're completely correct, none of these cyclists were riding in a group, I apologise for misleading the others. I don't suppose it suggests irresponsible cycling by one cyclist either.

so you're now down to presuming one cyclist has cut up another on the basis of a 'look' using a still photo, :lol: :lol: you're getting really desperate now aren't you. The guy with the white helmet is more than 2 metres from the lady by that last photo, so no breach of social distancing.
You need to get your eyes checked before going back on the roads in any capacity, so lame on your part, have another go at tucking yourself up :lol:
mikeymo

Post by mikeymo »

The utility cyclist wrote:The guy with the white helmet is more than 2 metres from the lady by that last photo, so no breach of social distancing.
But are "the guy with the white helmet" and the female aristocrat both members of Regent's Park Cyclists?
https://road.cc/content/news/how-much-distance-should-you-leave-cyclist-ahead-272229
mikeymo

Post by mikeymo »

mikeymo wrote:
The utility cyclist wrote:No it isn't, you have no idea, there are people riding bikes distanced correctly all about to hit traffic lights.

Absolutely. The traffic lights at the junction of Smith Square and St John's Avenue I think, please correct me if I'm wrong.

You didn't say, could you just confirm where these traffic lights are that you refer to? You do seem to be very confident about their location, so I assume you are familiar with the layout of Regent's Park.
DaveReading

Post by DaveReading »

mikeymo wrote:

I'd love to help, but I can't find either of those names in the vicinity of Regent's Park.
mikeymo

Post by mikeymo »

DaveReading wrote:Photo taken from a long way away = fake.

I've learned something new.

Or maybe photo we don't like = fake.