Coronavirus cafes

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Marcus Aurelius

Re: Coronavirus cafes

Postby Marcus Aurelius » 17 Apr 2020, 12:23pm

mikeonabike wrote:The police have issued new guidance confirming that it's ok to take for a brief refreshment/rest stop during your exercise. So no need to hide while you eat your sandwich and have a drink - but obviously a full picnic would be stretching it.

Implicit in this is that it's ok to exercise for more than 60 minutes - or you wouldn't be needing to stop.

The reason for the implicit lack of a time limit is fairly obvious. The police are using bikes a lot, at present. If they put a limit of 60 minutes on cycling, they’d score a spectacular own goal.

Marcus Aurelius

Postby Marcus Aurelius » 17 Apr 2020, 12:27pm

Here’s my stop from yesterday

A very nice little green and some nice weather to go with it.

foxyrider

Postby foxyrider » 17 Apr 2020, 12:29pm

mikeonabike wrote:The police have issued new guidance confirming that it's ok to take for a brief refreshment/rest stop during your exercise. So no need to hide while you eat your sandwich and have a drink - but obviously a full picnic would be stretching it.

Implicit in this is that it's ok to exercise for more than 60 minutes - or you wouldn't be needing to stop.

But am i allowed to answer the call of nature? :wink:
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!

pwa

Postby pwa » 17 Apr 2020, 12:29pm

Marcus Aurelius wrote:

The reason for the implicit lack of a time limit is fairly obvious. The police are using bikes a lot, at present. If they put a limit of 60 minutes on cycling, they’d score a spectacular own goal.

Being out for exercise is not the same as being out for essential work. The police will justify their being out and about because it is the latter.

But there is no time limit on cycle rides anyway. Just don't make it look like your legitimate cycle ride is an excuse for a picnic and all should be well.

mikeonabike

Postby mikeonabike » 17 Apr 2020, 1:16pm

foxyrider wrote:

But am i allowed to answer the call of nature? :wink:
A rest is allowed - not necessarily in a "restroom" as the Americans euphemistically put it. :lol:

Marcus Aurelius

Postby Marcus Aurelius » 19 Apr 2020, 3:54pm

Today’s stop off for a breather. It was a very nice day. Unfortunately it was nice enough to bring the pee takers out in force. Lots of people in groups, riding around, some looked obviously like family units ( that’s fine ) some looked like clubby idiots extracting the urine, and it seemed that one of the ecilop patrols shared my view, as a group of five on road bikes, were being ‘engaged and encouraged’ in a lay-by, on my way home. I hope they got a large dose of ‘enforcement’ as well.

foxyrider

Postby foxyrider » 19 Apr 2020, 6:31pm

Todays stop was a Gloucestershire Cotswolds grassy bank - very nice sat in the sun looking out towards the Forest of Dean and the Welsh hills. And keeping with the thread title, i even found another roadside cabin open for business but i had my munchies in my pocket so didn't stop, tempting as it was :wink:

Of course, as MA says, there were plenty of people out - the number of cars parked by Bath race course was ludicrous and that wasn't the only place i saw the 'entitled' ignoring what is after all, pretty clear instruction. There were a lot of bikes being ridden and for the most part, sensibly but the group of @9 clearly keen riders (not racing types but 'serious' leisure riders) sweeping towards Bath in a loose peloton really were taking the urine.

Any legislation is only as good as the enforcement and logistically its much easier for the plod to marshall city parks than rural roads.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!

pedalsheep

Postby pedalsheep » 19 Apr 2020, 6:43pm

Lovely lunch stop on my favourite bench by Newtown creek yesterday watching a gleaming white Little Egret which was reflected perfectly in the still water. Bliss!
'Why cycling for joy is not the most popular pastime on earth is still a mystery to me.'
Frank J Urry, Salute to Cycling, 1956.

eileithyia

Postby eileithyia » 20 Apr 2020, 8:38am

Yesterday it was MIL's front garden as we took bread and milk supplies, then had a brew in the garden.... brews placed in porch, plate and mugs wiped down with dettol wipes after before being replaced in porch..... Pee stop was down a quiet side lane (so I thought) except 2 walkers were on the lane and then 2 cars passed (a road to nowhere) before I had a bit of peace... at least more leaves are appearing on the trees....
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells

Oldjohnw

Postby Oldjohnw » 20 Apr 2020, 9:08am

foxyrider wrote:Todays stop was a Gloucestershire Cotswolds grassy bank - very nice sat in the sun looking out towards the Forest of Dean and the Welsh hills. And keeping with the thread title, i even found another roadside cabin open for business but i had my munchies in my pocket so didn't stop, tempting as it was :wink:

Of course, as MA says, there were plenty of people out - the number of cars parked by Bath race course was ludicrous and that wasn't the only place i saw the 'entitled' ignoring what is after all, pretty clear instruction. There were a lot of bikes being ridden and for the most part, sensibly but the group of @9 clearly keen riders (not racing types but 'serious' leisure riders) sweeping towards Bath in a loose peloton really were taking the urine.

Any legislation is only as good as the enforcement and logistically its much easier for the plod to marshall city parks than rural roads.

The latter point is presumably why the directions are a bit imprecise. If it were an hour absolute, who could police 65 minutes? The wind might have hot up or you may be more tired than you realised. A soft touch within guidelines is almost always the best option.
John

pedalsheep

Postby pedalsheep » 20 Apr 2020, 9:59am

eileithyia wrote: Pee stop was down a quiet side lane (so I thought) except 2 walkers were on the lane and then 2 cars passed (a road to nowhere) before I had a bit of peace... at least more leaves are appearing on the trees....

Yes the closure of toilets can be a bit awkward for us females! I was just clambering over a fence to nip behind the hedge when a herd of cows came galloping up from the next field! :roll: Hastily abandoned that idea and moved on to the next likely spot. After heavy rain in the morning the ground was really sticky so I then spent 5 minutes hopping about on one leg trying to poke the mud out of my cleats with a stick! :lol:
'Why cycling for joy is not the most popular pastime on earth is still a mystery to me.'
Frank J Urry, Salute to Cycling, 1956.

mjr

Postby mjr » 20 Apr 2020, 10:10am

Yesterday's stop:
Image Attachments
Image2144081200496160545.jpg
Not quite Keukenhof
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.

matt2matt2002

Postby matt2matt2002 » 20 Apr 2020, 1:27pm

Colliston Aberdeenshire.
Coastal stops are the best for me. Only 18 miles from home
Image Attachments
IMG_20200417_131419316_HDR.jpg
2017 Ethiopia.5 weeks.
2018 Marrakech 2 weeks.
Lots more in hot countries.
Always on a Thorn Raven/Rohloff hub.

eileithyia

Postby eileithyia » 20 Apr 2020, 10:49pm

pedalsheep wrote:
eileithyia wrote: Pee stop was down a quiet side lane (so I thought) except 2 walkers were on the lane and then 2 cars passed (a road to nowhere) before I had a bit of peace... at least more leaves are appearing on the trees....

Yes the closure of toilets can be a bit awkward for us females! I was just clambering over a fence to nip behind the hedge when a herd of cows came galloping up from the next field! :roll: Hastily abandoned that idea and moved on to the next likely spot. After heavy rain in the morning the ground was really sticky so I then spent 5 minutes hopping about on one leg trying to poke the mud out of my cleats with a stick! :lol:

:lol: :lol:
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 20 Apr 2020, 10:52pm

Today's cafe stop:-
20200420_125814.jpg
-----------------------------------------------------------