Coronavirus cafes

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
pwa

Re: Coronavirus cafes

Postby pwa » 21 Apr 2020, 7:55am

reohn2 wrote:Today's cafe stop:-20200420_125814.jpg

Trying to work out where that is. Is it near Rivington, perhaps?

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 21 Apr 2020, 9:37am

pwa wrote:

From where I was sitting this was to the left of me:-
20200420_125659.jpg

:wink:
In the previous photo,though you can't see them in the photo,to the naked eye the South Lakes,Blackpool Tower and Heysham nuclear power station were clearly visible.The towns in the shot are Chorley and Preston,with the Yarrow and Anglezarke reservoirs in the foreground.
A very clear day due to the strongish winds,I'd ridden up from Smithhills side,Coal Pit lane and a couple of Bridleways that took me up near to the TV mast and across the moor,my Garmin reckoned 800m of accent from home in Lowton.
-----------------------------------------------------------

RickH

Postby RickH » 21 Apr 2020, 10:21am

reohn2 wrote:
pwa wrote:

20200420_125659.jpg
In the previous photo,though you can't see them in the photo,to the naked eye the South Lakes,Blackpool Tower and Heysham nuclear power station were clearly visible.The towns in the shot are Chorley and Preston,with the Yarrow and Anglezarke reservoirs in the foreground.
A very clear day due to the strongish winds,I'd ridden up from Smithhills side,Coal Pit lane and a couple of Bridleways that took me up near to the TV mast and across the moor,my Garmin reckoned 800m of accent from home in Lowton.

I came up through the terraced gardens more-or-less past there on Sunday on my way home from an evening ride & we walked over to the Pigeon Tower the other day too (you're about 2 miles round the hill from our house).

I came up Coal Pit Lane & the paths on a long cut home from town last week.

If you want a proper coffee stop up that way, Pike Cottage - the isolated dwelling on the unmade part of Georges Lane the other side of Rivington Pike from where you were in the photo, now have a little takeaway shop selling fresh coffee & snacks.

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 21 Apr 2020, 10:33am

RickH wrote:
reohn2 wrote:
pwa wrote:Trying to work out where that is. Is it near Rivington, perhaps?

20200420_125659.jpg

I came up through the terraced gardens more-or-less past there on Sunday on my way home from an evening ride & we walked over to the Pigeon Tower the other day too (you're about 2 miles round the hill from our house).

I came up Coal Pit Lane & the paths on a long cut home from town last week.

If you want a proper coffee stop up that way, Pike Cottage - the isolated dwelling on the unmade part of Georges Lane the other side of Rivington Pike from where you were in the photo, now have a little takeaway shop selling fresh coffee & snacks.

Yes I rode past Pike Cottage yesterday after dropping down on the TV mast road,I knew you lived up that way somewhere :)

eileithyia

Postby eileithyia » 21 Apr 2020, 6:29pm

We were up there today, John... trying to keep out of the wind a bit and used Pike Cottage (formerly sportsmans cottage) for a brew, they have only recently opened so thought it would be prudent to support them... will certainly be using them in future...
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells

willp01908

Postby willp01908 » 22 Apr 2020, 2:11pm

Elevenses break on a grassy verge. Great to see so many other cyclists around lately. About halfway round a 30 miler - a distance I`m trying to cycle most days.
Image Attachments
20200422_115710.jpg

RickH

Postby RickH » 22 Apr 2020, 10:00pm

eileithyia wrote:We were up there today, John... trying to keep out of the wind a bit and used Pike Cottage (formerly sportsmans cottage) for a brew, they have only recently opened so thought it would be prudent to support them... will certainly be using them in future...

You weren't one of the cyclists outside when I went past shortly after 2pm were you? I was in a mainly red top on a pale blue Kona Sutra in pseudomonopannierist mode - I had 2 paniers but both were pretty much empty so I had one inside the other. I was taking a long cut, as off road as possible, to Aldi in Horwich to do some shopping (via the Terraced Gardens, Yarrow Reservior & Rivington Village).

eileithyia

Postby eileithyia » 22 Apr 2020, 10:35pm

RickH wrote:
eileithyia wrote:We were up there today, John... trying to keep out of the wind a bit and used Pike Cottage (formerly sportsmans cottage) for a brew, they have only recently opened so thought it would be prudent to support them... will certainly be using them in future...

You weren't one of the cyclists outside when I went past shortly after 2pm were you? I was in a mainly red top on a pale blue Kona Sutra in pseudomonopannierist mode - I had 2 paniers but both were pretty much empty so I had one inside the other. I was taking a long cut, as off road as possible, to Aldi in Horwich to do some shopping (via the Terraced Gardens, Yarrow Reservior & Rivington Village).

No we were up at the cafe earlier than that... around 12ish.... my (grown up) lad was in his Ribble valley kit.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 23 Apr 2020, 8:26am

I've ridden past a couple of times now,I should stop for a brew :)

colin54

Postby colin54 » 23 Apr 2020, 10:52am

Any chance of a google map location for that please eileithyia or r2 , I'd like to mark it on my OS map for future reference ?

RickH

Postby RickH » 23 Apr 2020, 1:28pm

colin54 wrote:Any chance of a google map location for that please eileithyia or r2 , I'd like to mark it on my OS map for future reference ?

According to the OS maps on my phone it is at SD 6488 1317. The building is marked on both 1:50k & 1:25k. It is named as Pike Cottage on the 1:25k & is the only building on that stretch of road/track.

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 23 Apr 2020, 2:18pm

Yesterday:-
20200422_115751.jpg

colin54

Postby colin54 » 23 Apr 2020, 2:53pm

I see it, thanks Rick.

roberts8

Postby roberts8 » 23 Apr 2020, 3:06pm

Take five on the hottest day so far, Brockham, Surrey.
423DA19A-4DB9-4323-9E1E-62645E461DCC.jpeg

eileithyia

Postby eileithyia » 23 Apr 2020, 9:50pm

colin54 wrote:Any chance of a google map location for that please eileithyia or r2 , I'd like to mark it on my OS map for future reference ?

Sorry did not get back to you and think your question has been answered, but for clarification it is basically the extension of George's Lane, turn in near the Jolly Crofters off Chorley Old Road, pass the quarries, cottages and Wilderswood and keep heading toward the Pike and Pigeon loft.