Coronavirus cafes

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Marcus Aurelius

Re: Coronavirus cafes

Postby Marcus Aurelius » 23 Apr 2020, 10:02pm

My Garmin kept sending me the wrong way today. Fortunately I was never more than 20 miles from home, that was lucky.

1D51E280-566A-42D3-8180-4FD12E4F348D.jpeg

I stopped at a war memorial for today’s Corona cafe stop,

8083CAE6-3EDF-4A1B-A738-80FE76898D5C.jpeg

It’s a lovely little gazebo thing, with benches to sit on. The weather was superb all day.

colin54

Postby colin54 » 24 Apr 2020, 7:20am

Much obliged for the directions eileithyia.

eileithyia

Postby eileithyia » 24 Apr 2020, 8:29am

colin54 wrote:Much obliged for the directions eileithyia.

No problem, obviously there are other ways, up Foxholes or any of the numerous tracks that lead up to the 'road'.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells

T-800

Postby T-800 » 27 Apr 2020, 3:00am

My Corona Cafe is at home after a ride 8)
When I ride solo I rarely do more than 40miles so eat a snack and drink on the go.
I do miss a swift post ride pint outside my local though....

Oldjohnw

Postby Oldjohnw » 27 Apr 2020, 3:08am

On Sunday, as with most cycling days (roughly 3/4 days per week) I did my 40 miles leaving home at about 11.00am, having a picnic lunch in the beautiful Borders countryside. Most people who pass me by, whether on foot, cycling, in cars, lorries or agricultural vehicles give a friendly wave and if feasible a verbal greeting.

Some days I just have my coffee out.

I have a collapsible stool as once off the bike I can't stand too long.
John

CyberKnight

Postby CyberKnight » 27 Apr 2020, 4:59pm

My cafe stops consist of planning a route to a known cake stop and basically eating a flapjack or similar standing outside the gates.
Yesterday rode to cannock and you could get into the grounds through a pedestrian walkway so here i stood with my bar supping my water bottle before riding home.
I am limiting my rides to shorter distances , maybe 40-50 miles max .
Image Attachments
IMG_20200426_160101036.jpg
John Wayne: "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on... I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."

foxyrider

Postby foxyrider » 27 Apr 2020, 8:03pm

I passed 6 - yes 6, open roadside tea/snack bars on todays ride so although i ate my sandwich enjoying a view of the Severn i felt obliged to support oneof the tea bars for a cuppa a little further down the road.

I could tell you where they all are but zen i would have to kill you :lol: but seriously, if you are riding in s Glocs i can point you to their locations by pm - don't want to attract crowds do we?
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!

colin54

Postby colin54 » 27 Apr 2020, 11:28pm

Standing room only at the Long Flap Cafe today 'Somewhere in England', note the pillbox in the background.
P1130189.JPG

I was slightly alarmed to see next to my wheel, this sinister item, spooky, perhaps even spo-key.
P1130193.JPG

Nice just to stand still for 5 minutes and watch some Lapwing and Swallows swooping about over the adjacent fields.
I think I'm going to stick to the roads from now on though, the towpath was too crowded and tricky to keep a distance from other folk out for their exercise.

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 28 Apr 2020, 8:01am

Colin
It's the L&L canal west of Parbold but I can't quite remember the location :?
I know what you mean about the towpaths,especially near to towns such as Wigan

PS,there's things you can do with bottle tops.....
-----------------------------------------------------------

colin54

Postby colin54 » 28 Apr 2020, 10:07am

reohn2 wrote:Colin
It's the L&L canal west of Parbold but I can't quite remember the location :?
I know what you mean about the towpaths,especially near to towns such as Wigan

PS,there's things you can do with bottle tops.....

Hi John, Yeah, I turned around just before the DW stadium, it was too busy for me.
I know a little about bottle top re-purposing, my brother used to be a zob stick player in a jug band,
I might make him one for his next birthday, I think I'll pop back for the Corona ones today to start me off, it's summat to do.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNfukDkHuJ4

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monkey_stick
This is my own feeble effort at re-cycling ...
P1130202.JPG

The pill box is just here, to the top left of the solar panels, I didn't realise, but should have known, that the Poplars were screening the sewage works, as I ride past it and under the canal often enough, wot an idyllic spot for a cuppa !
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.59310 ... !1e3?hl=en
Here's the road underneath the canal (Deans Lane), out the back of Newburgh with original uneven and worn flagstones and cobbles, always slick from water leaking through the bridge and a steep down hill approach past the treatment plant (on the left), it's also infested by black flies at this time of year, what's not to like ! I never touch my brakes on this bit, I bet a few have come a cropper in the past. I heard a bloke in a local cycle cafe complaining about cracking his helmet having come off at this spot a couple of years back. If you didn't already know, you can get onto the canal towpath here, up some stairs on the other side of the bridge from my picture.
P1120790.JPG

Have a good 'un one and all, take care out there !

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 28 Apr 2020, 11:39am

colin54 wrote:Hi John, Yeah, I turned around just before the DW stadium, it was too busy for me.

Yep towpath around Wiggin is looniesville ATM

I know a little about bottle top re-purposing, my brother used to be a zob stick player in a jug band

Such talent :)

I might make him one for his next birthday, I think I'll pop back for the Corona ones today to start me off, it's summat to do

I know where there's plenty,in fact enough for a forest of zob sticks :wink:

This is my own feeble effort at re-cycling .

The world loves a trier :)

The pill box is just here, to the top left of the solar panels, I didn't realise, but should have known, that the Poplars were screening the sewage works, as I ride past it and under the canal often enough, wot an idyllic spot for a cuppa !
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.59310 ... !1e3?hl=en
Here's the road underneath the canal (Deans Lane), out the back of Newburgh with original uneven and worn flagstones and cobbles, always slick from water leaking through the bridge and a steep down hill approach past the treatment plant (on the left), it's also infested by black flies at this time of year, what's not to like ! I never touch my brakes on this bit, I bet a few have come a cropper in the past. I heard a bloke in a local cycle cafe complaining about cracking his helmet having come off at this spot a couple of years back. If you didn't already know, you can get onto the canal towpath here, up some stairs on the other side of the bridge from my picture.
P1120790.JPG

I know the area very well as you probably guessed,I was up that end last Wednesday,the photo of the sculpture I posted was at Halsall,It's to commemorate the navvies who dug the canal by hand in the 18th century.
I have a great book on the history of the L&L by Mike Clarke a very interesting,exhuastive and excellent read. AAMOF I'm re-reading ATM.
A good s/hand available copy here if you're interested:- https://www.abebooks.co.uk/servlet/Book ... 1-_-title1
-----------------------------------------------------------

AndyK

Postby AndyK » 28 Apr 2020, 2:12pm

This was my home-made-flapjack-and-a-swig-of-water stop on Sunday.
IMG_20200423_175015.jpg

Grandad

Postby Grandad » 28 Apr 2020, 4:04pm

I think that to qualify as a coronavirus cafe there should be something to serve as a raised seat, otherwise it's a coronavirus picnic :D

First post is an example of what I mean. I have found several more field gate barricades since.

Cyril Haearn

Postby Cyril Haearn » 28 Apr 2020, 4:07pm

Disagree, one sits when cycling, one should stand while taking a rest :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies

pedalsheep

Postby pedalsheep » 28 Apr 2020, 5:49pm

This was a mighty fine spot for a little light refreshment recently. Lifeventure insulated mug in a stubby mitt on the seat tube bottle cage

P1020306.JPG
'Why cycling for joy is not the most popular pastime on earth is still a mystery to me.'
Frank J Urry, Salute to Cycling, 1956.