Careful out there - hit by a cab

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
deep thinker

Re: Careful out there - hit by a cab

Post by deep thinker »

Wearing my cyclist's hat, cabs are among the biggest threats on the road. Wearing my pedestrian's hat, they are a close second behind cyclists :shock: I would have called the taxi company. You might not have got a positive outcome, but you never know. Cameras are a must these days, and the instructions will certainly be online.
The utility cyclist

Post by The utility cyclist »

deep thinker wrote:Wearing my cyclist's hat, cabs are among the biggest threats on the road. Wearing my pedestrian's hat, they are a close second behind cyclists :shock: I would have called the taxi company. You might not have got a positive outcome, but you never know. Cameras are a must these days, and the instructions will certainly be online.

How are cyclists the second biggest threat behind cabs when the stats prove that pedestrians are a bigger threat to pedestrians when it comes to killing themselves when there's a collision between a person on a bike and a pedal cyclist? The anti cycling 'review' into cycling safety which pushed for death by dangerous cycling and other laws stated that pedestrians were 50% more at fault for their own deaths than the person on a bike.

How many pedestrians are assaulted and killed by other pedestrians out on the streets, sorry but factually you're wrong despite your feelings.
bigjim

Post by bigjim »

Cameras are a must these days, and the instructions will certainly be online.

Spent some time googling and no instructions. No make or model on camera.
mjr

Post by mjr »

[XAP]Bob wrote:
TrevA wrote:I bought a Fly6 and Fly12 a few years ago, and recently refitted them after a left hook incident, that the Police didn’t take forward due to no witnesses.

You need to look at the footage occasionally, even if just to check that it *is* recording

You also need to check the timestamp regularly. Norfolk Constabulary recently declined to proceed because the timestamp was 20+ minutes wrong. Action cameras aren't the greatest at keeping time.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
mjr

Post by mjr »

bigjim wrote:
Cameras are a must these days, and the instructions will certainly be online.

Spent some time googling and no instructions. No make or model on camera.

Your images don't display for me. If I right-click and pick "View Image", I get asked to sign in to Google!
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
bigjim

Post by bigjim »

Strange they open fine on my laptop.

tim-b

Post by tim-b »

Hi
Action cameras aren't the greatest at keeping time.

No, and mine has a ridiculous system where I input the time and date into a config file on the micro SD card and then load that onto the camera.
Needless to say it doesn't get done often so I "show" the camera my GPS time at the start of the ride which gives an accurate time that is going to be auditable against the camera timestamp throughout the few hours that I'm out
Hopefully I'll never need to test its admissibility :) , but I'd challenge most human witnesses to give an accurate time for events and yet their evidence is accepted
Regards
tim-b
~~~~¯\(ツ)/¯~~~~
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

mjr wrote:
[XAP]Bob wrote:
TrevA wrote:I bought a Fly6 and Fly12 a few years ago, and recently refitted them after a left hook incident, that the Police didn’t take forward due to no witnesses.

You need to look at the footage occasionally, even if just to check that it *is* recording

You also need to check the timestamp regularly. Norfolk Constabulary recently declined to proceed because the timestamp was 20+ minutes wrong. Action cameras aren't the greatest at keeping time.

That doesn't seem correct procedure - If an example of poor driving happened and is on camera what difference does it make whether the time is incorrect?
mjr

Post by mjr »

fastpedaller wrote:
mjr wrote:Norfolk Constabulary recently declined to proceed because the timestamp was 20+ minutes wrong. Action cameras aren't the greatest at keeping time.

That doesn't seem correct procedure - If an example of poor driving happened and is on camera what difference does it make whether the time is incorrect?

I think the driver could claim or prove they were elsewhere at that time. Cameras rarely get the driver's face clearly.