Careful out there - hit by a cab

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
bigjim

Careful out there - hit by a cab

Post by bigjim »

Be careful out there people. Hit by a cab from Brittania Cars, Heywood in Birch this morning who just drove off. I'm ok , just a couple of small bruises, but the next person he targets might not be be so lucky. Police their usual useless self who can't pick up the phone. One of the problems with cycling alone these days, nobody to witness or catch a number plate etc. Traffic seems to be faster and taking more risks. I've had more "incidents" since the lockdown than normal. Rang taxi Licensing in Rochdale, but nobody manning phones.
gaz

Re: Careful out there.

Post by gaz »

Sorry to hear, hope you and the bike mend fast.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
TrevA

Re: Careful out there - hit by a cab

Post by TrevA »

bigjim wrote:Be careful out there people. Hit by a cab from Brittania Cars, Heywood in Birch this morning who just drove off. I'm ok , just a couple of small bruises, but the next person he targets might not be be so lucky. Police their usual useless self who can't pick up the phone. One of the problems with cycling alone these days, nobody to witness or catch a number plate etc. Traffic seems to be faster and taking more risks. I've had more "incidents" since the lockdown than normal. Rang taxi Licensing in Rochdale, but nobody manning phones.

Front and rear camera is the answer, worth having even if, like me, you never look at the footage. I bought a Fly6 and Fly12 a few years ago, and recently refitted them after a left hook incident, that the Police didn’t take forward due to no witnesses.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
PH

Post by PH »

Glad it wasn't any worse, heal soon.
it is getting a bit frightening out there, less traffic but what there is seems to be behaving far worse than normal.
bigjim

Post by bigjim »

Cheers all. just a bit of bruising for me. Bike never touched, so got off very lightly. Police rang me this morning to confirm details. Admitted there is really nothing they can do without witnesses, They did ring the licensing authority and reported it and told me they would ring Taxi company and have a word. Which is something, if true. Anyway he has logged it. No choice I suppose as I filled in a long online form in that took me 40 mins.
I've got a camera gathering dust in the drawer that I've charged up and will be fitting as soon as I've worked out how to use it. lost the instructions a long time ago.
Grandad

Post by Grandad »

lost the instructions a long time ago.
Very good chance there will be a copy on line
tykeboy2003

Post by tykeboy2003 »

Good to hear that you're not badly hurt.

In my experience taxi drivers are amongst the worst drivers out there. I don't mean your hackney carriage (black cab) type who are generally well versed in the HC etc but the private hire type.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Hope you're mending well Jim,taxi drivers can be some of the worst and most agressive drivers I've come across :twisted:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
mig

Post by mig »

sorry to hear that bigjim. as a fellow manchester cyclist i find this such a lot.

re. taxis. how do they fit in with current government guidelines re. social distancing?
bigjim

Post by bigjim »

Grandad wrote:
lost the instructions a long time ago.
Very good chance there will be a copy on line

Thought of that. However can't find a make or model on it. Obviously top of the range. LOL
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

TrevA wrote:
bigjim wrote:Be careful out there people. Hit by a cab from Brittania Cars, Heywood in Birch this morning who just drove off. I'm ok , just a couple of small bruises, but the next person he targets might not be be so lucky. Police their usual useless self who can't pick up the phone. One of the problems with cycling alone these days, nobody to witness or catch a number plate etc. Traffic seems to be faster and taking more risks. I've had more "incidents" since the lockdown than normal. Rang taxi Licensing in Rochdale, but nobody manning phones.

Front and rear camera is the answer, worth having even if, like me, you never look at the footage. I bought a Fly6 and Fly12 a few years ago, and recently refitted them after a left hook incident, that the Police didn’t take forward due to no witnesses.

You need to look at the footage occasionally, even if just to check that it *is* recording
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

With the Fly 12, you can view the footage on your phone, which I do very occasionally. You might be able to this with the updated Fly6, but mine is the slightly older model. I do take the SD card out and look at it sometimes.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
RH20

Post by RH20 »

For many years I have had a head camera whilst riding on the road. I have now started wearing a camera when riding on the Trans Pennine Trail, not that there are any vehicles on the TPT but since the coronavirus fiasco there are more people walking than I have seen before. Why you might ask do I need a camera when riding on a trail designated for walkers, cyclists and horse riders. Answer, uptight never seen before walkers, ‘you are not leaving 2 meters distance when passing,” you should not be riding on this footpath”. All this and abuse from people who one never saw before coronavirus and more than likely won’t see after we are back to normal.
Years of riding on the Trans Pennine Trail, and always slowing to walking pace when passing other trail users I have never encountered this problem before. Other cyclists commenting on the same problem. I now wear the camera in case I need evidence of the abuse that seems to be playing out now.
It is sad that we need to wear a camera when cycling on the road, but what is it coming to when we need to wear a camera in case we are abused by walkers?
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

I don't know that trail. What's your estimate of your distance from them?

Jonathan
The utility cyclist

Post by The utility cyclist »

Glad you're okay but telling cyclists to be careful, why? This is the type of language I expect from those that don't know better.
it's not us on bikes, the vulnerable that need to be careful is it? This isn't having a go but highlighting how we continue to not tell those doing the harm to adjust their behaviour and keep aiming the behaviour modification at the vulnerable/victims.

We can be as 'careful' as we can be, until we get to the point we are barely even cycling any more, and we will still get smashed into, still get cut up and so then for some they simply give up cycling altogether, that's why despite all the noise there's been no increase in cycling over 14 years as a nation, that from last years journey data.