Cyclist deaths double during lockdown

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
nez

Re: Cyclist deaths double during lockdown

Post by nez »

The utility cyclist wrote:Not cyclists but plod again not bothered by dangerous driving even when a kid nearly gets mown down.
They've told the parents they cant do anything :twisted: bunch of disgusting liars!
https://www.facebook.com/Elizabeth.Mary ... =3&theater

The rules on Zebra crossings appear to be breaking down. The zig zag is meant to indicate no overtaking, no parking, but I see cars stopped while someone goes into shops on zig zags round here every day. And if I see them I presume Essex police must see them
Postboxer

Post by Postboxer »

nez wrote:
The utility cyclist wrote:Not cyclists but plod again not bothered by dangerous driving even when a kid nearly gets mown down.
They've told the parents they cant do anything :twisted: bunch of disgusting liars!

The rules on Zebra crossings appear to be breaking down. The zig zag is meant to indicate no overtaking, no parking, but I see cars stopped while someone goes into shops on zig zags round here every day. And if I see them I presume Essex police must see them

Possibly untaxed vehicle too. Seems the police may now be investigating some more.
The utility cyclist

Post by The utility cyclist »

Postboxer wrote:
nez wrote:

Possibly untaxed vehicle too. Seems the police may now be investigating some more.

Only as it's bad PR, it's dangerous driving all day long and should be a fine + years disqualification+ test resit under S.36 of the RTO Act 1988, but it won't because the police and CPS are a bunch of weak kneed cretins.
lescargo

Post by lescargo »

Bmblbzzz wrote "Too late then etc"
So what might CTC do to reduce/prevent some of these fatalities, now and in future?

It's official now!
The pm is saying if you can; ride your bike to work!!

But doesn't mention it can, evidently, be dangerous!!

Can we now have Mr Tuohy daily on national tv warning these vulnerable, many effectively cycling novices/"renaissants"
that probably 20% of * drivers have NEVER ridden a bike and of the remaining 80%, many haven't cycled since teens.
This is a golden opportunity to address the lack of empathy between drivers and cyclists.
Right now there are drivers incensed about how they will be inconvenienced by new pop-up cycleways but might ,just, listen when
it is explained that this is deemed to be necessary while so many cyclists are being killed/injured by careless, incompetent
or even malevolent drivers.
Will CTC kremlin do anything to nationaly highlight these increased fatalities.
Don't hold your breath.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Mr Tuohy has gone

Enforcement is the only thing that works
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
lescargo

Post by lescargo »

Punishment is the only answer!!
I accept, yes it could make a difference IF APPLIED PROPORTIONATLEY.
But, cyclist v motorist it never happens.
20% drivers never rode a bike.

February I sat through trial "causing death through careless driving"
Driver not guilty. after quote BBC news-80 years old cyclist has died from his injuries fafter collision with a car
on A177 ' Shinncliffe @ 8 30 today.
Jury, 12 people, guess 10 drivers none of whom would have wanted to go to jail after accidently, not wilfully, killing someone.
80 yearold cyclist , 10,000 miles year would have been 70 that day, former bank manager, telegraph crossword everyday.
But, as mentioned he was wearing dark clothing but wasn't wearing a helmet

The wing mirror of the TESSLA had struck his undersaddle toolbag.

The fool on the no-brake fixie fails to AVOID the idiot pedestrian goes to jail to appease public bias.

However what are CTC at the Surrey Kremlin doing to highlight how vulnerable these potential returning cyclists really are?
Don't hold your breath!
mjr

Post by mjr »

Who knows? They're not going to do it in public readily because they don't want to scare any returning cyclists away.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Pete Owens

Post by Pete Owens »

lescargo wrote:The pm is saying if you can; ride your bike to work!!

But doesn't mention it can, evidently, be dangerous!!

In case you hadn't been following the news there is a virus doing the rounds that is killing hundreds everyday. This means using public transport is dangerous in a way cycling simply isn't.
Can we now have Mr Tuohy daily on national tv warning these vulnerable, many effectively cycling novices/"renaissants"
that probably 20% of * drivers have NEVER ridden a bike and of the remaining 80%, many haven't cycled since teens.
This is a golden opportunity to address the lack of empathy between drivers and cyclists.
Right now there are drivers incensed about how they will be inconvenienced by new pop-up cycleways but might ,just, listen when
it is explained that this is deemed to be necessary while so many cyclists are being killed/injured by careless, incompetent
or even malevolent drivers.

Oh dear yet another poster popping up to advocate this nonsense. With apologies to those I have already had to point this out to this needs to be spelled out yet again:

Creating temporary cycle lanes is the last thing we should be doing during the pandemic (unless your objective is to try to infect as many cyclists as possible to generate herd immunity). In order to stay safe and maintain social distancing we need to be able to use the whole width of the carriageway – not directed into a narrow space shared with or in close proximity to pedestrians.

Indeed we need to avoid existing cycle lanes in order to keep ourselves safely distant from pedestrians. We should ride on the carriageway at least 2m out from the kerb and be prepared to move further out still if pedestrians need to step into the carriageway to pass each other safely.
mjr

Post by mjr »

No, all cycleways and lanes should be widened to 3m to enable distances to be kept. It's really disappointing that vehicularists would even oppose this and see new and returning cyclists feel forced into buses and cars rather than dare see the possibility that they are mistaken and that protected spaces encourage cycling.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Ideally we could use the whole width of the carriageway, and it was lovely to be able to do this during the first few weeks of lockdown. But now, especially at commuting times, the roads are busy again and most people - I'd say especially those who are new to cycling - aren't brave enough to cycle at 10 or 15mph in front of impatient drivers.

Perhaps that's sad but it's sadly true. However, it's also sadly true that we don't generally have decent cyclepaths and those we do have (facilities generally not technically just paths) are often so bad, it's easier for even the timid to use the road. Hmm. Not good.
tiglon

Post by tiglon »

Pete Owens wrote:In case you hadn't been following the news there is a virus doing the rounds that is killing hundreds everyday. This means using public transport is dangerous in a way cycling simply isn't.

There have always been viruses that kill a lot of people. As is the case with those, this one only kills people who are vulnerable for particular reasons with the usual exceptions. Coronavirus death statistics report deaths where coronavirus is mentioned on the death certificate (it has to be if the person tested positive, because it is a "notifiable disease") - in many cases this was not the cause of death.

Cycling is pretty safe in general too - around 100 cyclists dying on UK roads per year. Yes, that's 100 more than would be perfect, but roads are never going to be 100% safe regardless of rules, driver attitudes or modes of transport. It is what it is - live with it or never leave your house.

If you test positive for coronavirus, then decide to ignore self isolation rules and go for a bike ride the following day and are hit by a car causing your death, it would count as a "coronavirus death" in the official statistics.

Worry less, do more.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

tiglon wrote:There have always been viruses that kill a lot of people. As is the case with those, this one only kills people who are vulnerable for particular reasons with the usual exceptions.

Which are the other viruses that kill a lot of people but only when they're vulnerable?

And what are 'the usual exceptions" for this virus that aren't included in "particular reasons"?

Thanks

Jonathan
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

tiglon wrote:If you test positive for coronavirus, then decide to ignore self isolation rules and go for a bike ride the following day and are hit by a car causing your death, it would count as a "coronavirus death" in the official statistics.

Utterly wrong.
lescargo

Post by lescargo »

Peter Owens (twinned with John Bercow?) read the topic title!!
Cycling deaths X 2
HALFORDS Bike sales X 2

Co-incidence?
Not the faintest idea of statistics A} death corona infection on public transport against B]"new cyclist" fatalities?
Tragic that B die while avoiding A.

Is the NATIONAL CYCLING ORGANISATION unable to do anything about this?
Or can it be, as ,was it Mjr?, put it, they wont want to discourage returning cyclists.

What I am asking for is that these good citizens (novice/rennaissant cyclists) taking up cycling for first time
for many years just to get to their work, get some guidance about the real world on the road out there in
"no man's land".
Perhaps, as DVLA. does as we reach 70, we renew our licence and answer some questions CTC could put some
guidelines together for HALFORDS to hand out with new bikes?
Boris can you ensure that these good citizens are refunded the vat/tax. on their new bikes; they would have got this
back on "bike to work scheme"

Peter I do not know what particular section of my post qualified me, in your blinkered opinion, as "yet another
poster's nonsense".
I'm sure you would learn from Pedal2 slowly's post 8 may.
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

Quite possibly some of the inaction by CUK is because their self announced title as the national organisation isn't true ?
Possibly if there was the funding and the power something might happen.
Whilst no deaths are good I do wonder that if we removed the aberrations to normal riding we would see the increase. By which I mean inexperienced riders and of course more people doing anything means more incidents involving activity. Not really a true comparison. For example I bet the accidents at climbing walls have dropped off lately.