Corona ride mishaps

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
ossie

Re: Corona ride mishaps

Postby ossie » 6 May 2020, 7:35pm

On my regular route today (NCN25) there was a sign at a crossing asking for information from anyone who had helped the cycling victim of a serious accident. Extremely unusual at this location.

Okay that accident may well have happened virus or not but the sheer number of leisure cyclists on the road daily has far exceeded anything I've seen in cycling the same routes for several decades.

There have been numerous mechanicals, families with kids walking up hills they wouldn't dream of doing ordinarily and loads of really good stuff as well, Fathers / mothers daughters and sons in various combinations - on road bikes and everything in between.

On a personal level my BB30 bottom bracket suddenly went creak city yet the company I ordered the bearing fit from have taken my money and failed to deliver . That's been the biggest drama apart from an early lockdown blowout (but I understand you don't want to include them) it was quite spectacular though.
Last edited by ossie on 6 May 2020, 8:04pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mike Sales

Postby Mike Sales » 6 May 2020, 7:39pm

ossie wrote: That's been the biggest drama apart from an early lockdown blowout (but I understand you don't want to include them) it was quite spectacular though.

I think many of us would be interested in hearing about a spectacular blowout, if it's all the same to you.

sjs

Postby sjs » 6 May 2020, 7:44pm

foxyrider wrote:
peetee wrote:I am confused. You seem to be describing the likelihood of injury to start a discussion on mechanical problems. How does a puncture or broken chain impact on NHS resources?

It doesn't but that was the line used to deter us from venturing beyond the front gate

And if one of these unlikely incidents occurs (last time for me probably 25 years ago), and if there is a partner willing to drive to some country lane to retrieve unlucky rider and bike, is it such a big deal, even in these panicky times?

pwa

Postby pwa » 6 May 2020, 7:45pm

Mike Sales wrote:
ossie wrote: That's been the biggest drama apart from an early lockdown blowout (but I understand you don't want to include them) it was quite spectacular though.

I think many of us would be interested in hearing about a spectacular blowout, if it's all the same to you.

I think I had one of them at 6am today, but that's another story.

pwa

Postby pwa » 6 May 2020, 7:46pm

sjs wrote:
foxyrider wrote:
peetee wrote:I am confused. You seem to be describing the likelihood of injury to start a discussion on mechanical problems. How does a puncture or broken chain impact on NHS resources?

It doesn't but that was the line used to deter us from venturing beyond the front gate

And if one of these unlikely incidents occurs (last time for me probably 25 years ago), and if there is a partner willing to drive to some country lane to retrieve unlucky rider and bike, is it such a big deal, even in these panicky times?

No it isn't.

Cyril Haearn

Postby Cyril Haearn » 6 May 2020, 8:04pm

ossie wrote:On my regular route today (NCN25)
.. families with kids walking up descents

Walking up descents? I am a bit confused :wink:
Entertainer, intellectual, idealist, PoB
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies

ossie

Postby ossie » 6 May 2020, 8:05pm

Cyril Haearn wrote:
ossie wrote:On my regular route today (NCN25)
.. families with kids walking up descents

Walking up descents? I am a bit confused :wink:

Suitably edited, I was going downhill though... :wink:

foxyrider

Postby foxyrider » 6 May 2020, 8:45pm

nigel8322 wrote:My chain broke around 8 miles from home (April 2019). I was aggravated that I hadn't got a chain tool with me so had to phone for a lift. When I got home I carefully examined the (almost new) chain and was shocked to find 5 other side plates with cracks. Clearly a deeply faulty chain so not mending it on the road may have saved me from a more serious accident. It was an 11 speed KMC chain, but internet searches seemed to show they were no worse nor better than others for faults. During the Covid crisis I'm carrying a spare chain.

By coincidence, my failure was on a KMC chain, 7 speed though.

I've been using 11sp KMC SL chains without issue for the last 5 years, one has seen 10000km and is still going strong!

As it was the quicklink that failed, i didn't have a 7sp spare, i'm not too concerned - i'll have a spare one for next time out - maybe a full chain is a bit excessive?
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!

nez

Postby nez » 6 May 2020, 10:41pm

I have carried a spare link for ever... before that a chain tool. A few weeks ago my chain broke and I had to use the link for the first time ever. The feeling of 'yes I was prepared' was transcendental

TrevA

Postby TrevA » 6 May 2020, 11:17pm

Mike Sales wrote:There was a batch of Sun Tour freewheels which had a fault which allowed the face plate to unscrew in use.
Mine did so on a club run, spilling balls onto the tarmac.
I collected as many as possible and reassembled the freewheel. A screwdriver and rock completed the job.
I completed the run, freewheeling as little as possible.

Tell me about it! Mine unscrewed itself halfway up a French Alp (The Col du Forclaz between Aigle and Chamonix). I look down and see the lock ring hanging off and the ball bearings rolling back down the hill. Luckily, we had the foresight to take a spare freewheel and the tools to change it, so at the top of the climb, we changed it and I had no further problems for the Tour
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com

Grandad

Postby Grandad » 6 May 2020, 11:49pm

Luckily, we had the foresight to take a spare freewheel and the tools to change it,

How many riders would carry these on tour today?

A reflection of the improvement in the quality of components or a less cautious approach to the risks of problems when touring?

Manc33

Postby Manc33 » 7 May 2020, 12:39am

I got it to a point where the only tools I didn't have on me while out, was a pedal spanner, a bottom bracket tool and a chain whip with its tool (and 1/2" socket). Those tools are a bit beyond the pale for carrying around in a backpack and would easily outweigh all other tools.

Every other thing is either an allen key or a torx.

Here's what I take out:

- The Topeak Alien 3 (this alone covers so much, it's got a chain hook and chain tool on it - effectiveness unknown)
https://www.topeak.com/global/en/produc ... alien--iii

- Chainring bolt tool Shimano TL-FC20 - small, weighs 18g, could turn out to be a necessity.
- Plastic tyre levers.
- Mini-pump.

I guess what's missing is hub cone spanners and they are quite light. How prepared do you need to be. :shock:

There's only one chain tool I have used in my lifetime that's never failed (and has been used over and over again for probably 2 decades) and that's the old hexagonal shaped Cyclo one:

Last edited by Manc33 on 7 May 2020, 12:50am, edited 1 time in total.
When two cyclists get married, they should throw anodized cable crimps instead of confetti.

nez

Postby nez » 7 May 2020, 12:48am

Manc33 wrote:Here's what I take out:

- The Topeak Alien 3 (this alone covers so much, it's got a chain hook and chain tool on it - effectiveness unknown)

- Chainring bolt tool Shimano TL-FC20 - small, weighs 18g, could turn out to be a necessity.
- Plastic tyre levers.
- Mini-pump.

It was the alien tool hook I used when I used my chain link. It’s not really necessary but is fantastically convenient. I don’t take tyre levers but I do take workshop plastic gloves

Manc33

Postby Manc33 » 7 May 2020, 12:51am

nez wrote:
Manc33 wrote:Here's what I take out:

- Plastic tyre levers.
- Mini-pump.

It was the alien tool hook I used when I used my chain link. It’s not really necessary but is fantastically convenient. I don’t take tyre levers but I do take workshop plastic gloves

The chain hook on the Alien tool is thin and I'd only use it for emergencies. I ended up making a stronger one from an old spoke, but I never take it out (scared of losing it lol). They are easy to make though with vise grips/pliers/hacksaw/file.

I wish Bondhus or Snap-On would make a bike specific multi-tool like the Alien. Yeah it would cost twice as much... but I'd probably buy it. Who knows how hard the metal is on the Alien, it says it's made in Taiwan on the inside.
When two cyclists get married, they should throw anodized cable crimps instead of confetti.

peetee

Postby peetee » 7 May 2020, 6:38am

Manc33 wrote:
There's only one chain tool I have used in my lifetime that's never failed (and has been used over and over again for probably 2 decades) and that's the old hexagonal shaped Cyclo one:

I find it very amusing to see immaculately presented Park Tool workshop storage walls in online videos and websites as if they are indispensable and one cannot function without them. My experience of their kit is not good. Cyclo tools, on the other hand, I rate highly. In the 35 years I have been building and fixing bikes I have never had a Cyclo tool fail me. Some have been bought to replace other brands that wore down or broke but others, such as the headset and BB spanners have been with me the whole time. It’s a brand that isn’t praised as often as it should be IMHO.
Current status report:
Back on two wheels in deepest Pastyland and loving every minute. Mission: to enjoy big, bad hills again.