Corona ride mishaps

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
mjr

Re: Corona ride mishaps

Postby mjr » 12 May 2020, 4:31pm

xerxes wrote:Surprised to read on this thread of someone calling for assistance for a broken chain when only 8 miles from home. For one thing that's walking distance, at a pinch. And for any problems that don't involve an unusable wheel, you can average 7-8 mph just by scooting the bike along with your feet (you may need to lower your seat a bit).

You don't know they have uninjured feet. Two years ago (I think - not checked), I was riding around with a broken toe and I'm pretty sure could not have walked 8 miles or scooted the bike at any sort of speed.

And I broke my toe doing nothing unusual at home. So far, historically, I'm safer out cycling!
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.

Graham

Postby Graham » 12 May 2020, 4:49pm

During lockdown, I was reducing the size of a duvet cover. Whilst measuring the width I cut myself on the edge of a steel tape measure.

It was a superficial cut, but yielded an impressive amount of blood.

Danger zone : Indoors : DIY : sewing activities : Lidl tools . .. better to go cycling.

foxyrider

Postby foxyrider » 12 May 2020, 9:09pm

Graham wrote:During lockdown, I was reducing the size of a duvet cover. Whilst measuring the width I cut myself on the edge of a steel tape measure.

It was a superficial cut, but yielded an impressive amount of blood.

Danger zone : Indoors : DIY : sewing activities : Lidl tools . .. better to go cycling.

you know what they say about people blaming their tools..... :lol:
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!

fastpedaller

Postby fastpedaller » 12 May 2020, 9:19pm

jimlews wrote:Lost my pump climbing over a five bar gate.

Don't know if that counts as a mishap.
Certainly unfortunate.It was only a valley and a half later that I noticed and despite retracing my wheeltracks, when I got back to the gate...no pump. Fortunately no punctures ensued.

Not during Corona times, but a few years back I lost my mini pump when it shook off down a track - A mile later I noticed....... Either go back (and risk a puncture on the track) or chance the 30 miles home. I chose the latter and fortunately didn't puncture. I now have a releasable cable tie as an additional security.

jimlews

Postby jimlews » 19 May 2020, 8:25pm

It was all the fault of the fair sex.
I was having a 'road least travelled' sort of ride.
It started out on the dead end cycle way that goes to a little villagette called Hollybush tucked inconspicuously into the side of the valley. I normally turn round there and retrace my wheel tracks because it's pretty much the end of the world. But I noticed an alluring little path wending its way through the trees and down to the river. Very picturesque. Except that the forestry had been clear felled on the other side and it looked as if an artillery barrage had just passed through. But revealed for the first time was a forestry track that was just asking to be explored. So off I went, over the footbridge to the other side.
The track was very rideable going South, but in a Northerly direction it took on a distinctly vertical tendency. Choosing the path of least resistance I headed South. Track soon became path and the foliage closed in making the ambience a bit mysterious. Fortunately, no duelling banjos were in evidence and it was soon obvious that path was actually following a disused railway line with the sleepers and even rusty rails lying here and there and a lineman's hut that still looked almost habitable. Certainly, the local druggies seemed to think so, judging by the graffiti.

But all good things come to an end and I was eventually faced with the choice of returning to the main road or chancing my luck along a little path that plunged into the undergrowth. No contest. And all was well for a while; I could even ride the bike, whilst fending off the Triffids; at least until the going became distinctly rocky and the sounds of the rushing river ever louder.
The view from the bank was boulder strewn fast flowing and ahh! Two visions of loveliness seated upon the far shore. I couldn't possibly turn back now! So I shouldered the bike in approved RSF fashion and started hopping intrepidly from boulder to boulder. About half way across and all was well, so I glanced up to see how my performance was being received by the distaff beauties. At precisely which point a treacherous stone turned under my foot and I was deposited into the river on my aris. Difficult to maintain one's dignity at such moments. But there is no better 'reality check' for the ageing voluptuary than a trouser full of river water.
When I got home the saddlebag contained about a pint of river water.
Who said Carradice bags aren't waterproof!

Jdsk

Postby Jdsk » 19 May 2020, 8:32pm

Probably naiads.

Jonathan

jimlews

Postby jimlews » 19 May 2020, 8:35pm

Jdsk wrote:Probably naiads.

Jonathan

We live in hope.

Cowsham

Postby Cowsham » 20 May 2020, 9:24am

Looks like Carol Kirkwood ( weather girl ) has had a cycling mishap during lockdown. Hit by car.

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-52720147

Grandad

Postby Grandad » 20 May 2020, 10:06am

"Knocked off by a car" - more positive than the usual "in collision with".

hemo

Postby hemo » 20 May 2020, 8:21pm

I had spectacular off last week, a high side and right over and off the bike. My pedal lhs struck a felled/cut log left at the side of a track, said log was cover by under growth and invisible to the eye. Handle bars needed straightening, rim wasn't buckled but needed 10 mins in my trueing stand and left crank arm carbo fibre smashed and took all the force through the pedal.
Me personally now come out bruised right elbow and both legs severely bruised just above the knees and on the insides of the upper knees, also although wearing gloves some scars/scabs to rhs wrist/top side.

foxyrider

Postby foxyrider » 20 May 2020, 8:36pm

I've had a Corona ride mishap!

Well nothing that serious and tbf could have happened almost anytime. Nice bit of downhill on the A46, under the trees, bang! No, not a deflation but rather, i think a bigger lump of tree, hidden in the shadows detached one front mudguard stay from said mudguard. Not a complete disaster as i run double stays although i'm wondering why the safety release didn't work, it usually comes off just looking at it! Of course, by the time i got home, the Law of Sod had been enacted and the matching stay on the other side had given out too.

Sortable and not the end of the world but having started the thread i thought i should contribute! :wink:
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!

Cowsham

Postby Cowsham » 21 May 2020, 8:24am

hemo wrote:I had spectacular off last week, a high side and right over and off the bike. My pedal lhs struck a felled/cut log left at the side of a track, said log was cover by under growth and invisible to the eye. Handle bars needed straightening, rim wasn't buckled but needed 10 mins in my trueing stand and left crank arm carbo fibre smashed and took all the force through the pedal.
Me personally now come out bruised right elbow and both legs severely bruised just above the knees and on the insides of the upper knees, also although wearing gloves some scars/scabs to rhs wrist/top side.

Don't ride in the forest during lockdown unless you'd like to join a few corona infested people in hospital for a few days. I had an mtb mishap in the forest a few months ago before lockdown or corona but couldn't tell you what happened cos I don't remember the actual crash. Spent four days in hospital cos they saw two brain bleeds /bruises after the scan because I had been knocked out for a few minutes and my mates rang the ambulance. No other injuries except a very stiff / sore neck. Had to be checked every 4 hours to make sure nothing untoward was taking place inside my skull other than the naughty stuff when the young nurses were checking me over. :roll:

A couple of weeks ago someone else local did the same only he had broken his neck. Mtb in forest is not what you want to be doing at this juncture.

Vantage

Postby Vantage » 14 Jun 2020, 8:37am

Couple weeks ago I was returning home from a 30 mile ride and only had about 4-5 miles left to go.
I was on the A666 Blackburn Road and my rear end was becoming unbearably painful so I got off the bike to walk for a while. Slowly. Very slowly.
As I approached the short descent to Green Arms Road I figured I'd coast to the bottom and pootle home at a slower than usual pace so on the bike I got and rolled away. Pain in my left butt cheek. Lots of it. I barely stayed on the bike and tried to limp up the other side of the dip but my ar*e was having none of it. Off the bike again for even slower walking up the hill. Progress was almost nil.
It was getting late and rush hour(s) traffic was picking up and as I crested the hill I again tried to ride. With great difficulty I had my right leg over the saddle and clipped in. I pushed off and rolled for a couple yards then tried to get my left foot on the pedal.
Holy crapola I can't even begin to describe the pain but it had me yell in agony and toppled me off the bike. I managed to crawl onto the grass bank and could only drag the bike a little off the road. Half the bike was hanging out over the lane of a busy, fast A road. I lay there thinking it was only a matter of time before a truck or van or car would hit the thing. Couldn't get up, couldn't move at all.
I was there thinking the worst and wondering what the hell I was gonna do now. Phoned mum and asked if anyone in the family had a car big enough to squeeze me and the bike into. She'd call me back.
A few minutes later a very nice chap pulled up and offered to help. He'd seen me on his way home to Darwen thought I'd been knocked off and offered me a lift home. He lifted the bike into his car then helped me up and into the passenger seat. Had a chat on the way home. Carried my bike up the 20 or steps to my front door and again helped me up too.
Gave him my last 15 quid and thanked him.

Seems I had a bad case of cramp. It still twitches now and again but it's getting better.
Goes to show. Even in times where we're all at risk of catching a potentially deadly bug, there's some damn nice decent people out there willing to put themselves at risk to help a fellow human.
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.

Sweep

Postby Sweep » 14 Jun 2020, 8:51am

Yes, a nice story vantage, thanks. Strange symptoms of cramp, ie that you didn't immediately recognise it as such. Do you use zero tabs? I recommend them.
Sweep

Vantage

Postby Vantage » 14 Jun 2020, 9:33am

That's all I can think it was Sweep. No injuries before that.
Just water and glucose in my bottles.
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.