Longer rides post CV lockdown.

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
ossie

Re: Longer rides post CV lockdown.

Post by ossie »

mjr wrote:
pwa wrote:
mjr wrote:50 miles max. Lack of toilets is a nuisance.

Fortunately the hedges have now leafed up, which was useful today when I needed a comfort stop.

Isn't public urination and defecation likely to increase hostility towards cyclists?

The idea is that you don't attract an audience.

Just having a look at my stats and I've done over 800 miles since "lockdown", nothing much has changed really although I've limited my rides to 50 miles for no other reason than I have a sore neck.
pwa

Post by pwa »

Had an accident today and pondered whether it required stitches. I did it gardening, of course. Maybe I should have stayed out on the bike a bit longer and left the gardening alone.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Tetanus immunisation up to date?

Jonathan
pwa

Post by pwa »

Jdsk wrote:Tetanus immunisation up to date?

Jonathan

Er, dunno, think so....... yes. :D
arnsider

Post by arnsider »

The whole point of the stay at home message is to avoid tying up the emergency services with road accidents.
No if's ands or buts!
if you come off or worst still, hit a pedestrian, you are tying up A and E resources and that is unacceptable.
All these cock a snoop answers don't wash!
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

arnsider wrote:The whole point of the stay at home message is to avoid tying up the emergency services with road accidents.

The most important aim of the advice to stay at home is to reduce transmission of the virus.

arnsider wrote:if you come off or worst still, hit a pedestrian, you are tying up A and E resources and that is unacceptable.

EDs have been very quiet since the outbreak started.

I don't consider the need to avoid accidents as very different from that in normal times.

Jonathan
DaveReading

Post by DaveReading »

arnsider wrote:The whole point of the stay at home message is to avoid tying up the emergency services with road accidents.

Is the stay-at-home message only aimed at cyclists, then?

I thought it applied to everyone, whether or not they were planning to indulge in dangerous activities like cycling.
mjr

Post by mjr »

No if's ands or buts!
if you come off or worst still, hit a pedestrian, you are tying up A and E resources and that is unacceptable.
All these cock a snoop answers don't wash!

Gardening is more likely to end you in A&E than cycling but hasn't been banned either. The above answer is wrong, right down to misspelling "snook".
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Cycling isn't banned and never has been.
John
Icsunonove

Post by Icsunonove »

Oldjohnw wrote:Cycling isn't banned and never has been.

Indeed. We were actively encouraged to get some exercise.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Icsunonove wrote:

Unless of course you live in Wales! i had to go through the principality on todays ride, for about 2 miles as you can't avoid it from the Severn Bridge - looked much the same as England to me but with fewer people exercising than last time i did the transit.

The gang of grass cutters on the cycle path were observing very good SD from the gp and between themselves. :D
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Icsunonove

Post by Icsunonove »

foxyrider wrote:
Icsunonove wrote:

Unless of course you live in Wales! i had to go through the principality on todays ride, for about 2 miles as you can't avoid it from the Severn Bridge - looked much the same as England to me but with fewer people exercising than last time i did the transit.

The gang of grass cutters on the cycle path were observing very good SD from the gp and between themselves. :D

You have reminded me of how much I'm (we all) are missing out on this year. I've only been over the bridge once thus far, on the Dean audax just before lockdown.
gaz

Post by gaz »

gaz wrote:Plotting a 50 for later this week. Probably a bit too ambitious.

Put the plan into action yesterday. Loaded up with about 3.5 litres of water, a ham roll and an apple. Set off to see a couple of sites.

Forgot my sunhat, barring that it all went well.
IMG_20200520_112133.jpg

IMG_20200520_113556.jpg

Must try for a couple more next week.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
arnsider

Post by arnsider »

In answer to jdsk, Really.
So if I ride alone and stay away from shops and other congregations of people, I am at risk of transmitting the virus?
My assertion that exposing yourself to accidents and resulting trips to A&E remains along with yours that contagion may also result.
Love all!
Why do you choose to round on my suggestion?
I’ve not been 100% conscientious so I’m as guilty as the next.
Yes, I have been out on local rides if nothing else to stop going crackers!
I had a very salutary and painful experience that I have recounted elsewhere on here.
You may not consider A&E saturation to be an issue, but you don’t make the rules and those that do have to consider contingency in this dynamic situation.
They don’t have the luxury of “Taking a view”
Oh and thanks for putting me right about my poor spelling.