Bike sales

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Oldjohnw

Bike sales

Post by Oldjohnw »

Who'd of thought?

Two wheels good … Bike sales soar as UK takes to cycling

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyl ... _clipboard
John
Paulatic

Re: Bike sales

Post by Paulatic »

Things your local bike shop wishes you knew: a thread
1) we are insanely busy right now. Everyone wants a bike or their old bike fixed for lockdown use
2) if what you want is a new bike under £800, you're out of luck or in for a long wait unless you're a midget or a giant - everything in small, medium or large is sold out at all the suppliers
3) we're drowning in repair work and this means prioritising - if you're an NHS or food shop worker you're at the front of the queue. If you're not, you're going to have to wait a while.
4) on a related note, now is not the time to bring us 3 sets of cross wheels for new tub gluing, or for a nice long chat about gear inches.
5) this is the biggie - if no-one answers the phone within 5 or 6 rings, no-one is going to. If you leave it ringing off the hook the ten-deep queue of customers at the door isn't going to miraculously disappear so we can answer it. You're just stressing everyone out.
6) social distancing makes everything take longer. In normal times we'd have 4 or 5 mechanics working on bikes. The layout of the shop makes it dangerous to have more than 2 or 3 together and only 1 person can serve customers at a time.
7) we're sorry about that, but not so sorry we're going to risk killing each other for your convenience.
8)we're all delighted by the huge surge in interest in cycling and hope you all stick with us while we try to keep you all moving!
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

I bet bike thefts are up also? so lock your down!
flat tyre

Post by flat tyre »

Five minute wonder in my view, once the traffic and weather returns to normal all these would be cyclists will be back in their cars.
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

flat tyre wrote:Five minute wonder in my view, once the traffic and weather returns to normal all these would be cyclists will be back in their cars.

Haha. I wondered how many posts before the first curmudgeon of spring appeared!

More people buying bikes?

20200523_102258.jpg
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

There are enough bikes already, no need for more, but certain persons have more than they need :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
colin54

Post by colin54 »

Aldi must be kicking themselves for cancelling their spring bicycle special buys event , though it's been heartening seeing all the family groups out cycling and dressed in normal clothes.
Nu-Fogey
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

If someone wants a decent road bike they could bid for my Mercian which I just put on Ebay :lol:

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

My LBS has had a queue outside virtually all day, when I finally got in at 2nd attempt, he'd sold 4 road bikes, had suggested to one lady (with the gales we have today) it probably isn't the best day to test ride a new MTB, and a shelf of helmets that was full at the start of the day was half empty by 2pm.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

eileithyia wrote:My LBS has had a queue outside virtually all day, when I finally got in at 2nd attempt, he'd sold 4 road bikes, had suggested to one lady (with the gales we have today) it probably isn't the best day to test ride a new MTB, and a shelf of helmets that was full at the start of the day was half empty by 2pm.

Yep, have to admit I was amused by the well heeled, new, "cyclist" who'd bought a bike from the LBS for his new ride (NB. 3.5 mile round journey, on the flat). He seemed to be a bit shocked that I was thinking about a £100.00 cheap bike for said commute (NB.He'd spent £1800.00 :lol )

Probably cheap compared with the merc, bmw or both. Never mind, at least his bike will be for sale soon
Marcus Aurelius

Post by Marcus Aurelius »

It’s nice to see all the new cyclists out and about. How long it lasts is a debate that’s going to go on and on.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

gbnz wrote:
eileithyia wrote:My LBS has had a queue outside virtually all day, when I finally got in at 2nd attempt, he'd sold 4 road bikes, had suggested to one lady (with the gales we have today) it probably isn't the best day to test ride a new MTB, and a shelf of helmets that was full at the start of the day was half empty by 2pm.

Yep, have to admit I was amused by the well heeled, new, "cyclist" who'd bought a bike from the LBS for his new ride (NB. 3.5 mile round journey, on the flat). He seemed to be a bit shocked that I was thinking about a £100.00 cheap bike for said commute (NB.He'd spent £1800.00 :lol )

Probably cheap compared with the merc, bmw or both. Never mind, at least his bike will be for sale soon

OTOH.......
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Marcus Aurelius wrote:It’s nice to see all the new cyclists out and about. How long it lasts is a debate that’s going to go on and on.

the moment it rains hmmm thats also me :lol:
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

Cyril Haearn wrote:There are enough bikes already, no need for more, but certain persons have more than they need :wink:

Isn't there some sort of formula for the ideal number of bikes? :wink:
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

roubaixtuesday wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:There are enough bikes already, no need for more, but certain persons have more than they need :wink:

Isn't there some sort of formula for the ideal number of bikes? :wink:

Just like books, no earthly reason to have more than one :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies