Two metre rule

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
peetee

Two metre rule

Postby peetee » 26 May 2020, 9:58am

It is becoming obvious to me that the local council is not taking advantage of the current situation. They continue to trim verges and ignore dangerous potholes. On the coast road near me there is a stretch of road running steeply downhill where the surface is in a terrible state (yes it has been reported). Intermittent tree cover makes it very difficult to spot but It has been ignored for weeks. As the road continues uphill, potholes there have been marked for repair. It is not difficult to work out which represent the greater danger to cyclists.
Everyone in the nation is now used to a slower pace of life which includes keeping a distance from unrelated individuals. Given the continued poor state of the roads and the difficulty of making swerve-free progress on a bicycle perhaps CyclingUK and other organisations should be taking advantage of the high profile of the 2m rule and putting that forward for vehicles passing cyclists? After all, why should the welfare of a stranger in a queue be of more value than a stranger on a bike?
Last edited by peetee on 27 May 2020, 11:51am, edited 2 times in total.
Current status report:
Back on two wheels in deepest Pastyland and loving every minute. Mission: to enjoy big, bad hills again.

fastpedaller

Re: Two metre rule

Postby fastpedaller » 26 May 2020, 11:21am

Re the potholes.... I've recently reported some (via fillthathole) and put the comment "now's an ideal time for you to fix these defects whilst the weather is favourable and there is very little traffic"

Peter F

Postby Peter F » 26 May 2020, 12:35pm

The roads are in a poor state in places near me, but let's be honest, I very much doubt there is going to be a lot of funding for this sort of thing now and in the near future. Not given the damage to the economy and the cost of the furlough scheme.

philvantwo

Postby philvantwo » 26 May 2020, 1:30pm

Here in south staffs some roads are in a bad state and now the council want £46 to empty your green bin once a fortnight. Meanwhile the CEO of the council is on a disgusting salary of £210,000.

gaz

Postby gaz » 26 May 2020, 9:05pm

My experience remains that once a person sits in the driving seat of their metal box, concern for anybody outside the metal box most often goes out the (probably open) window.

If you aren't in the car with them they've already ticked the distancing box (even with windows open or the top down).

If you need them to slow down so you can move further into the lane to give space to pedestrians on the pavement you can forget it. You and the pedestrian chose not to be in a distancing box and therefore deserve whatever's coming, be that risk of contamination or a high speed collision :evil: .
2020 : To redundancy ... and beyond!

foxyrider

Postby foxyrider » 26 May 2020, 9:12pm

and of course there is talk of reducing the 2m rule to fall in line with WHO guidance to allow people to actually return to work in situations that are not a huge shed or open office area.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!

mattsccm

Postby mattsccm » 26 May 2020, 10:09pm

Dream on. It's not a priority for most people.

Marcus Aurelius

Postby Marcus Aurelius » 26 May 2020, 11:42pm

foxyrider wrote:and of course there is talk of reducing the 2m rule to fall in line with WHO guidance to allow people to actually return to work in situations that are not a huge shed or open office area.

The ‘2 meter rule’ has been a real bug bear of mine from the outset. That figure was plucked out of the air, seemingly totally at random. The WHO guidance has always been for 1 meter separation, which would make a lot of things easier at present.

Peter F

Postby Peter F » 27 May 2020, 7:16am

Marcus Aurelius wrote:
foxyrider wrote:and of course there is talk of reducing the 2m rule to fall in line with WHO guidance to allow people to actually return to work in situations that are not a huge shed or open office area.

The ‘2 meter rule’ has been a real bug bear of mine from the outset. That figure was plucked out of the air, seemingly totally at random. The WHO guidance has always been for 1 meter separation, which would make a lot of things easier at present.

It wasn't plucked out of the air.
https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-52522460

pwa

Postby pwa » 27 May 2020, 8:26am

Marcus Aurelius wrote:

I would also add to that the fact that outdoors, and where people are simply passing and not spending much time together, being close to someone is generally seen as being less risky than it is indoors and when people are close for protracted periods.

Marcus Aurelius

Postby Marcus Aurelius » 27 May 2020, 11:42am

pwa wrote:I would also add to that the fact that outdoors, and where people are simply passing and not spending much time together, being close to someone is generally seen as being less risky than it is indoors and when people are close for protracted periods.

That’s quite right

peetee

Postby peetee » 27 May 2020, 11:53am

peetee wrote: organisations should be taking advantage of the high profile of the 2m rule and putting that forward for vehicles passing cyclists? After all, why should the welfare of a stranger in a queue be of more value than a stranger on a bike?

I would welcome comments on this particular point. Perhaps campaign along the lines of “2m. You give it in a queue so give it on the road too.”
Current status report:
Back on two wheels in deepest Pastyland and loving every minute. Mission: to enjoy big, bad hills again.

Cyril Haearn

Postby Cyril Haearn » 27 May 2020, 12:04pm

More than 2m where possible
Entertainer, intellectual, idealist, PoB
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies

[XAP]Bob

Postby [XAP]Bob » 27 May 2020, 12:12pm

Downhill and uphill are relative to direction of travel surely (of course a one way road only has one permissible direction of travel)
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.

peetee

Postby peetee » 27 May 2020, 1:01pm

[XAP]Bob wrote:Downhill and uphill are relative to direction of travel surely (of course a one way road only has one permissible direction of travel)

Sorry, you’ve lost me.
Current status report: