Speed and the fear of falling off

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
mikeymo

Re: Speed and the fear of falling off

Post by mikeymo »

SeptCollines wrote:
mikeymo wrote:
Peter F wrote:I hit a sheep at about 15 mph. It was hiding behind a bush and it lept out into the road as I passed.

This reads like something from a dodgy insurance claim! I've met a few sheep, they really aren't smart enough to "hide".

Some are clever enough to learn how to roll over cattle grids!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/3938591.stm

Yes, but those are Yorkshire sheep. Of course they're clever.
Peter F

Post by Peter F »

mikeymo wrote:
SeptCollines wrote:
mikeymo wrote:
This reads like something from a dodgy insurance claim! I've met a few sheep, they really aren't smart enough to "hide".

Some are clever enough to learn how to roll over cattle grids!

Well I was cycling in North Yorkshire.
But no, they're still thick as....
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

Peter F wrote:
mikeymo wrote:
SeptCollines wrote:Some are clever enough to learn how to roll over cattle grids!

Well I was cycling in North Yorkshire.
But no, they're still thick as....

In Yorkshire & Cumbria there are sheep clubs devoted to "cycling", which is their name for waylaying the two wheeled beasts they find cluttering up their domain, with their gel-litter and loud whizzing noises. They have a number of tactics and procedures ......

Cyclists below!
Cyclists below!

Keep a look out for cyclists whilst I have me dinner.
Keep a look out for cyclists whilst I have me dinner.

Psst! Seen any cyclists?
Psst! Seen any cyclists?

They don't expect one from up here.
They don't expect one from up here.

Hoogerland incident (shoulda seen the cyclist)!
Hoogerland incident (shoulda seen the cyclist)!

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

Cugel wrote:In Yorkshire & Cumbria there are sheep clubs devoted to "cycling", which is their name for waylaying the two wheeled beasts they find cluttering up their domain, with their gel-litter and loud whizzing noises. They have a number of tactics and procedures ......
I used to live on the edge of the New Forest, and I swear that ponies would stand at the side of the road waiting for you. Here he comes-- wait for it -- wait for it - cross NOW.
The utility cyclist

Post by The utility cyclist »

pwa wrote:The thing that scares me and makes me slow down is not the thought of what will happen to my head (with or without a lid) but the prospect of experiencing that moment of terror as you fly though the air, and whatever level of pain follows. That is what causes me to slow down on fast descents.

To that extent, fear is useful.

I had a few moments to think about where to bail when I got a tankslapper coming down here some years ago https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.9758938,-0.2529326,3a,75y,135.47h,72.27t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sOO2WsXTe27rIaqInUQoF0A!2e0!7i13312!8i6656, it's not steep or even that long but I'd accelerated hard off the bend at the top so was already doing 40mph within a short distance of the road going downward when it happened. I was dong everything to control it, somehow I muscled it and scrubbed off enough speed to get things under control but was a few seconds of thinking this could really hurt and spotting somewhere on the verge edge to 'throw' myself into, as you can see there are some bushes. That did unnerve me for a while but it wasn't the fear of crashing or pain that slowed me down, it was that I'd just lost a bit of confidence in my ability and still not understanding the why.

I don't think about what ifs in the sense you describe, I go at a speed that I feel is right for the occasion, for me it's not about fear factor controlling things, it's really not something I consider, to me it's about riding within yourself, not with fear but with respect. How you ride and how fast can be different on any given day, be it weather, the bike you're riding or simply just how you feel on the day and what you want from the ride.

I still want to get a buzz but you can get that from almost any aspect of a ride, giving it the beans on the hybrid and hitting 37mph or so on the short slope just off the back of the estate into the next town to the supermarket can be exhilarating.

On the odd occasion I'll head onto the dual carriageway from Luton to Hitchin and you can hit 50mph without too much effort barring a headwind, in reality it's not much of a challenge as the road is wide, the surface is pretty decent and the bend at the bottom is very open.