Back to normal

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Revolution

Back to normal

Post by Revolution »

Better get used to the resumption of dangerous driving: Having enjoyed cycling over the last couple of weeks with much reduced traffic, today I suffered my first close pass of the month :) Faced with the dilema of arriving at his destination 10 seconds later or running a cyclist into the verge, the motorist behind me opted for the latter and overtook on a blind bend with oncoming traffic.
In case you are wondering if I reported it? I didn't - assuming I may get the following response from the police :-

"We have examined the circumstances surrounding the journey to fill in the destination here including ANPR, witness evidence and a review of Mr drivers name here press conference and have concluded that there might have been a minor breach of the Regulations that would have warranted police intervention but no enforcement action would have been taken." :lol:
hemo

Re: Back to normal

Post by hemo »

Yes normal service seems to being resumed now that the Morton's of the driving world have been let loose.
brooksby

Post by brooksby »

On my six miles into work this morning:

(1) Nearly taken out by a woman driving a Golf who thought that the best place to overtake a bike was obviously on a narrow residential road with a bend toward the right and with large trees and shrubbery completely blocking the view of any oncoming traffic; when she met the Range Rover coming the other way, the driver of which slammed on their brakes, she 'automatically' swerved back toward her side of the road, 'forgetting' that I was between her and the kerb;

(2) On the narrow (-ish) shared-use cycle path I later use, I met a portly middle-aged* gentleman (*that means he was older than me, and I'm pushing fifty) riding an undersized MTB toward me and with a spaniel running beside him on an extending lead THAT HE WAS HOLDING ONTO ( :evil: );

(3) On the final approach into the city, a jogger suddenly leapt sideways into the road about a metre ahead of me as she noticed another jogger approaching (whom I hadn't seen, I think they'd come out of a gate, otherwise I would have taken a bit more care and given her a wider berth) - she didn't look before leaping...

Yes - I think we are back to 'normal' (and then some...).
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Its been very noticable this week that the apres school run in the afternoon has resulted in traffic jams worse than pre Covid around Fishponds!

OTOH i walked into central Brizzle yesterday, no traffic, no people, very much a ghost town :shock:

On my ride today there certainly was more traffic than the last few weeks but i'd still call it quiet. I only had one sort of incident on the ride, a truck pulling in a bit too soon after passing me, otherwise all the other traffic has been courteous and respectful.

As a 'born again' runner i've found myself having to run in the road a few times for SD purposes, i try to run against the traffic if i can so i can see the dangers. I would be checking behind if i was about to step into the road if i was running with the traffic, heck you might even have to stop :wink:
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
hemo

Post by hemo »

One thing most noticeable now more vehicle are back on the road is the rise in polluted air via ones nose the smell is not good after the much cleaner air of late, before one simply didn't notice it much. I for one will be continuously wearing my Buff/s or P3 mask from now and for ever.