£50 for bike repair

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Peter F

Re: £50 for bike repair

Postby Peter F » 9 Jun 2020, 4:44pm

My local bike shop can't cope with demand for repairs as it is. Took a wheeling on Saturday for a new freewheel and I can collect it on the 7th of July :shock:

I'd have done it myself but I have a backlog of jobs that need doing and I would need to buy a tool to extract the bearings.

I

De Sisti

Postby De Sisti » 9 Jun 2020, 4:56pm

Peter F wrote:My local bike shop can't cope with demand for repairs as it is. Took a wheeling on Saturday for a new freewheel and I can collect it on the 7th of July :shock:

I'd have done it myself but I have a backlog of jobs that need doing and I would need to buy a tool to extract the bearings.

I

Peter F

Postby Peter F » 9 Jun 2020, 5:06pm

Should have said "wheel in" not wheeling :lol:

mjr

Postby mjr » 9 Jun 2020, 5:34pm

Peter F wrote:a new freewheel [...] and I would need to buy a tool to extract the bearings.

Aside: what freewheel needs bearings extracted with a special tool? I often service bearings while the freewheel is off on some bikes, but that's a pliers-and-cone-spanners job.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.

Peter F

Postby Peter F » 9 Jun 2020, 7:15pm

mjr wrote:
Peter F wrote:a new freewheel [...] and I would need to buy a tool to extract the bearings.

Aside: what freewheel needs bearings extracted with a special tool? I often service bearings while the freewheel is off on some bikes, but that's a pliers-and-cone-spanners job.

The wheel has pressed in sealed cartridge bearings, not cup and cone.

mjr

Postby mjr » 9 Jun 2020, 10:24pm

Peter F wrote:
mjr wrote:Aside: what freewheel needs bearings extracted with a special tool? I often service bearings while the freewheel is off on some bikes, but that's a pliers-and-cone-spanners job.

Oh. On the only one of those I've done, I knocked one set out with the axle and the other out with a drift, using a hammer with a bit of old inner tube secured over its face, supporting the hub on an offcut of plastic pipe. Is that wrong? :)
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.

AndyK

Postby AndyK » 9 Jun 2020, 11:42pm

mjr wrote:
Peter F wrote:
mjr wrote:Aside: what freewheel needs bearings extracted with a special tool? I often service bearings while the freewheel is off on some bikes, but that's a pliers-and-cone-spanners job.

Oh. On the only one of those I've done, I knocked one set out with the axle and the other out with a drift, using a hammer with a bit of old inner tube secured over its face, supporting the hub on an offcut of plastic pipe. Is that wrong? :)

Yes, you're supposed to use an old screwdriver. Only posers have "drifts". :D

Peter F

Postby Peter F » 10 Jun 2020, 6:52am

AndyK wrote:
mjr wrote:
Peter F wrote:The wheel has pressed in sealed cartridge bearings, not cup and cone.

Yes, you're supposed to use an old screwdriver. Only posers have "drifts". :D

:shock:

I'm sure there is absolutely no chance whatsoever of you damaging the bearing with an old screwdriver. No none at all :lol:

peetee

Postby peetee » 10 Jun 2020, 10:33am

Peter F wrote:My local bike shop can't cope with demand for repairs as it is. Took a wheeling on Saturday for a new freewheel and I can collect it on the 7th of July :shock:I

This is not unusual. I am trying to get stock in to help my local club riders with some repair work and so much is unavailable. Even stuff such as Inner tubes, which I used to buy 50 at a time, are out of stock.
As for the £50 voucher, I wonder if the bearer will be free to present it at any cycle repair point or if it will only be accepted by a select few?
Last edited by peetee on 10 Jun 2020, 1:25pm, edited 1 time in total.
Current status report:
Back on two wheels in deepest Pastyland and loving every minute. Mission: to enjoy big, bad hills again.

PH

Postby PH » 10 Jun 2020, 11:45am

mjr wrote:1. I think that question comes from bitter experience of government putting out lots of warm words, less funding and even less action.

While this in undoubtedly true, it this case the warm words in themselves have a value. We have a government saying cycling is important enough that they're going to do something about it, if repeated enough that message might make more of a difference than the subsidised bike repairs.

Pdhmobile

Postby Pdhmobile » 11 Jun 2020, 8:41pm

Sounds like we have a few bike repairers in this thread?
Are you mobile? I'm thinking about setting up myself as a part time thing, do you guys make a decent living from it?
Do you think the£50 voucher will be a money earner for you?

peetee

Postby peetee » 12 Jun 2020, 12:46pm

Pdhmobile wrote:Sounds like we have a few bike repairers in this thread?
Are you mobile? I'm thinking about setting up myself as a part time thing, do you guys make a decent living from it?
Do you think the£50 voucher will be a money earner for you?

With reference to my previous post it all depends on just how that voucher is redeemable..... probably only against ones Income Tax bill, I would imagine. :roll:
As for making a decent living, it’s possible to make a profit working from home, answering enquiries from 7am to 11pm seven days a week with stated opening hours of 8 to 8 which most but not all customers conform to.....but do you really want to?
Last edited by peetee on 12 Jun 2020, 12:54pm, edited 1 time in total.
Current status report:
Back on two wheels in deepest Pastyland and loving every minute. Mission: to enjoy big, bad hills again.

Jdsk

Postby Jdsk » 12 Jun 2020, 12:54pm

We're just starting a free bike scheme in Oxford for "key workers". Volunteers doing the repairs and inspections and parts centrally funded.

Jonathan