Kilometres or miles

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
roberts8

Kilometres or miles

Post by roberts8 »

I noticed my strava is showing kilometres and I was going to change to miles. More people I know are quoting distances in kilometres which is not a problem having spent a fair time touring in Europe but I was curious if more people are going metric which is confusing as directional posts are in miles.
[XAP]Bob

Re: Kilometres or miles

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Always miles...
Because that's what distances in the UK are measured in. And when on the continent I just have to remember that the miles are short (and any error is therefore in my favour, rather than to my detriment).
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
whoof

Post by whoof »

All speedometers and gps devices set to kilometres.
Pete Owens

Post by Pete Owens »

It is astonishing that more than half a century has gone by since the UK adopted the metric system yet imperial units still cling on in our road signage.
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

Km (although I don't really care).
Every speedo type thing I've ever had came with a default in km and I just left them alone.

When running my watch is set to Km to although I set the laps to miles so it beeps every mile...

I can switch fairly easily between them in my head anyway.
Ant...

Post by Ant... »

Kms for distance and Mts for climbing. Just feels right.
Mr.Benton

Post by Mr.Benton »

I use Kilometers for self propelled journeys by bike, walking or canoe. I find it easier to measure meters/kilometers on an OS map which is what I generally use for navigation on those journeys.

Plus a journey in Km sounds much more impressive than a journey in miles.
"I cycled 100km today" sounds a lot further than "I cycled 60miles today".
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

For distance still to be ridden, miles are less intimidating
For distance completed, kilometres are more impressive.

This is cyclelogical. :oops:
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Pete Owens wrote:It is astonishing that more than half a century has gone by since the UK adopted the metric system yet imperial units still cling on in our road signage.

That is a queer business, maybe after b***t it shall be resolved
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
yostumpy

Post by yostumpy »

Kilometres for me, as Audax use km mostly.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Pete Owens wrote:It is astonishing that more than half a century has gone by since the UK adopted the metric system yet imperial units still cling on in our road signage.

Yes. In the absence of leadership from the Government I support doing this from the grass roots. Metricate now.

Jonathan
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

thirdcrank wrote:For distance still to be ridden, miles are less intimidating
For distance completed, kilometres are more impressive.

This is cyclelogical. :oops:

It also sounds better if you say you drove 264 miles to see your parents rather than 430 km.
Or driving 30 miles to test your eyesight rather than 48 kilometres.

Perhaps he should have used leagues, 76 leagues to see your parents sounds almost OK.
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

I live in a country where the signposts are in miles. I grew up with miles and think that way. When riding in a kilometre country I easily convert to miles in my head so that I can compare distance to go with something familiar at home.

Some people like to use kilometres for everything. They say this is because some of their riding is in Audax events which are in km. Some others, I am convinced, use km because the numbers are a bit more impressive. I recall a post on a forum where the person was pleased that they had averaged 20 kph on their commute. Sounds so much more impressive than 12.5 mph :P
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Obviously you go faster if you use kilometres, although that's not always a plus...
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
yostumpy

Post by yostumpy »

tatanab wrote: I recall a post on a forum where the person was pleased that they had averaged 20 kph on their commute. Sounds so much more impressive than 12.5 mph :P

Sounds like me, trying desperately, to come to terms with 'Recumbent Technology'.. :wink: