Government Petitions

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
tykeboy2003

Government Petitions

Postby tykeboy2003 » 11 Jun 2020, 1:45pm

I started a petition about funding for canal towpaths to be upgraded to cycle routes on 12 May but it's still says it's under review. Anyone done one before? If so how long did it take before it went live?

RobC

Re: Government Petitions

Postby RobC » 11 Jun 2020, 2:34pm

They’re currently experiencing a massive backlog due to the pandemic- it took 5 weeks for one organised by my employer to be made public.

tykeboy2003

Postby tykeboy2003 » 11 Jun 2020, 8:30pm

RobC wrote:They’re currently experiencing a massive backlog due to the pandemic- it took 5 weeks for one organised by my employer to be made public.

Thanks RobC, I guess it might be a week or two more then.

Postboxer

Postby Postboxer » 12 Jun 2020, 8:08am

I've often wondered about how wide canals need to be these days and whether they could be narrowed in places to allow for widening of the towpaths, as they're often constrained in built up areas. I even jokingly suggested draining and paving them, to get a wide, traffic and junction free route straight into the city centre.

pwa

Postby pwa » 12 Jun 2020, 8:24am

Postboxer wrote:I've often wondered about how wide canals need to be these days and whether they could be narrowed in places to allow for widening of the towpaths, as they're often constrained in built up areas. I even jokingly suggested draining and paving them, to get a wide, traffic and junction free route straight into the city centre.

There will be exceptions, but having navigated canals I can tell you that most feel a bit too narrow when you are on a boat, with corners that feel too tight. But as I say, there will be exceptions to that and in some very specific settings that might be a good idea. It is also worth noting that the tow path side of the canal is where boats tie up, it is their parking area. They can and do moor anywhere on the tow path side that is not putting them in the way of passing boats. So you have to keep the parking space and either have mooring rings or a grass strip to bang mooring pegs in. Canals vary a lot so it has to be a case-by-case thing.

tykeboy2003

Postby tykeboy2003 » 12 Jun 2020, 10:59am

Postboxer wrote:I even jokingly suggested draining and paving them, to get a wide, traffic and junction free route straight into the city centre.

There is one such "canal" between Swarkestone and Derby city centre, all tarmac but on the first section it's actually the old towpath, the cut being full of trees. Nearer the city the whole thing has been levelled and tarmaced making an excellent route into the city from the south.

I accept that in many places the towpaths are quite narrow but there would till be enough room for a tarmac path of up to 2m wide and still leave room for boats to put in mooring pegs between the water and any new surface.

I can forsee another problem, fishermen. Most are ok, however, some use really long rods (without reels) which they draw right back across the path...

Vantage

Postby Vantage » 12 Jun 2020, 11:18am

I quite like the 'natural' look of canal towpaths.
There's too much tarmac and paving out there as it is imo.
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.

Tangled Metal

Postby Tangled Metal » 12 Jun 2020, 11:20am

There's a popular fishing spot near Arnside where fishermen use long poles same cast by flicking the line from across the road out into the channel. I've driven along there navy times and thought I'd get our car or van snagged. I'm not a fan of anglers since I've seen many of them show their nasty and antisocial side. You'll not be popular taking their oil slick covered fishing grounds from them!!!! :lol:

There's a canal behind our house and we see fishermen a fair bit. I've often wanted to walk up to one of them to tell them where and how to get some big fish. Usually by walking 5 minutes along the canal and scooping them up with a net where there's a few floating, dead ones.

Width of canals were designed for the needs of the industry along the route of the canal. They're often based on standard widths (there's wide and narrow barges btw) and the ability to pass reach other with space. Very efficient. You really could not make the towpath wider without extending out from the canal unless you intended to shut the canal down.

oomilegs

Postby oomilegs » 13 Jun 2020, 9:39am

If there's tarmac going spare I would prefer if it was used to fill potholes.

This would benefit all road users.

Anyway, if canals were drained where would we get rid of all the old bicycles, supermarket trollies, etc ?

Paul G

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 13 Jun 2020, 9:45am

I've posted a few times that canals and many rivers should have good quality cyclepaths beside them they would then along with ugraded footpaths(not footways) make for good long and short distance active travel routes.

Edit:- just to add that canals and rivers are mostly flat which is ideal for active travel :)
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

tykeboy2003

Postby tykeboy2003 » 19 Jun 2020, 8:25am

Vantage wrote:There's too much tarmac and paving out there as it is imo.

Fair point, but the environmental impact would be minimal and it would make the routes available all year round. Certainly far better than the impact of another road widening or another stretch of motorway, or HS2 for that matter - things which governments seem to have no trouble finding money for.....