Do you ever consider the worse that can happen?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
hamster

Re: Do you ever consider the worse that can happen?

Postby hamster » 12 Jun 2020, 3:06pm

and 70 people a year die getting out of bed.

cycle tramp

Postby cycle tramp » 12 Jun 2020, 5:16pm

Depends what you mean by 'what's the worst that can happen ?'...
...I guess I'm different to most others, in that I died at the side of the road, when i decided to park my lightweight motorcycle in the front of an on coming transit delivery van...
..thanks to the paramedics I got brought back again (although not without some on going complications). I'm definitely well into my 'angel time', and since then live with the attitude that every day is a blessing.. (sorry, trite but true)...so, for me the worst that can happen is that I don't make the best use out of each day...
...hearing about people who've been hit from behind is always worrying.. but sometimes knowing how the tragic event occurred might be useful...for instance I try not to go out riding when the sun is low and bright, incase I end up riding along a road into the sun where I may not be seen by other persons, I'll also try and wear something bright (I think Richard Ballatine worked out if a motorist is travelling at 60 miles per hour, and your travelling at 15, and the motorist sneezes then they will have gained 15 metres on you, with their eyes shut)....as it makes sense to bring to the awareness of everyone on the road that I'm here as well as them. I also ride an upright bike so I look like a person rather than 'a cyclist' too and I'll also try and avoid A roads, (and sometimes kn heavy traffic I'll summon a psychic shield*)
However, I am aware that sometime I'll die (again) but on a more permanent basis. And it will probably be full of pain, confusion and noise... much like my birth.
With this in mind, I could die once in a road collision, but if I do... it will only happen the once (probably...) but I could be upset every single day that I haven't been out for a bike ride, and that could be an awful lot of days between now and when I pass away..
My sympathies go to the friends and families of those named in the newspapers

(* I don't expect people to believe this, and you have to be stupid to put your trust in it... but it's a mind trick which was shown to me by a druid... also worth considering is the prayer of St John)

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 12 Jun 2020, 6:25pm

hamster wrote:and 70 people a year die getting out of bed.

I s'pose it all depends who they've been in bed with :shock:
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

DaveBeck

Postby DaveBeck » 12 Jun 2020, 6:47pm

reohn2 wrote:

Or whose bed it was!

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 12 Jun 2020, 8:31pm

DaveBeck wrote:
reohn2 wrote:

Or whose bed it was!

Well there is that too :shock:
I cycle therefore I am.

lbomaak2

Postby lbomaak2 » 12 Jun 2020, 9:11pm

For myself (at age 61), I do consider the worst that could happen, and carry on cycling regardless. None of the incidents I have been involved in, whether the fault of an idiot in charge of half a ton of metal, or due to my own stupidity, have resulted in long-lasting damage to myself. I am still conscious that the next false move could result in death or disablement. But it is not going to stop me doing something I love and believe to be an all-round Good Thing.

What worries me, however, is a recent conversation with my son (aged 21). He was knocked off by an idiot in charge of half a ton of metal last November, and escaped with remarkably light injuries, given the severity of the impact. He was telling me that he doesn't really feel safe on a bicycle any more, and prefers to be protected by a metal box. He did get a second-hand bike to replace the one that was mangled in the collision, and has ridden it a few times, but very rarely. Any advice on how I might help him to get his confidence back would be welcome.

tykeboy2003

Postby tykeboy2003 » 12 Jun 2020, 10:36pm

I've never really worried about the potential for serious injury - or worse - whilst riding my bike. However, in 2012 I came off and broke my left shoulder blade (nobody to blame but myself and a traffic calming feature I didn't see) and then in January this year I was assaulted by a bush on a stormy night on my commute whilst doing about 20mph resulting in a cracked skull, separated collar bone and a few cracked ribs.

I console myself with the thought that it could have been worse, I could have been driving and smashed into a lamp post or something. At least I'm still here and still cycling....

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 12 Jun 2020, 11:31pm

My greatest concern is simply that if I get wiped out by an idiot/lunatic/mad person driving a car,who will look after my disabled wife?
I cycle therefore I am.

Pete Owens

Postby Pete Owens » 13 Jun 2020, 2:06am

liamba wrote:All of a sudden, something that has never played on my mind is starting to cause some concerns. Are incidents on the rise or is this just an unfortunate run of tragedies?

If you start worrying about that it is worth putting the level of risk in context and remind yourself about the denominator:
https://www.gicentre.net/blog/2013/11/24/risk-cycling-and-denominator-neglect
Mile for mile cycling is safer than walking and by cycling you are actually increasing your life expectancy since the health benefits far outweigh the small risks involved.

eileithyia

Postby eileithyia » 13 Jun 2020, 10:04am

Not read all the responses.

My will has been made to protect those that I love as best as I possibly can.

Last year I thought I might have cancer, gave me time to face the fact I might be preparing for the worst that could happen. I realised then that i would have time to prepare unlike so many people who never know what is around the corner.

To be fair do you worry about getting up, walking out of your door, going on a bus or plane, driving your car, going to the theatre...

In actual fact if the worst does happen (and lets be honest we all go sometime, being alive alone is a terminal state), yo won't be here to know about it.
For me the worst that could happen is some sort of terrible disease such as Alzheimers.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells

Jon Lucas

Postby Jon Lucas » 13 Jun 2020, 11:31am

I don't consider the worse that could happen when I get on my bike, I just enjoy the ride, and have done so for the last 50 years.

However, the OP specifically talks about being hit from behind by a vehicle. IMO the chances of this happening have increased alarmingly in recent years. There are a number of reasons for this, but the one that worries me most is that drivers have many distractions while driving, not least their mobile phones, and especially with larger vehicles (and HGVs these days are far larger than they ever were), they take less notice of smaller objects, i.e. us, on the road.

A couple of years ago I did come very close to having an incident which would almost certainly have left me dead, and it did make me consider the dangers more. I was cycling on an urban main road (single carriageway) where I live and making a right turn off it, so was positioned fairly centrally in the road well in advance of the junction. As I neared it I noticed that the first car coming towards me on the other side was flashing its lights and coming to a stop, despite that blocking the traffic. I realised it was signalling to me, and moved across to the opposite side of the road in front of it, and just at that moment a huge lorry that had been coming up behind me whizzed past going at a speed that was far quicker than the 30mph limit. I assume the driver just hadn't seen me and am very glad the opposing driver took the action they did, as I doubt I would be here today if they hadn't.

pwa

Postby pwa » 13 Jun 2020, 11:36am

I do consider the worst that is likely to happen, which is that I eat too much fat and salt and don't get out on my bike enough and end up having heart or vascular problems and have a hear attack or a stroke. That is the most likely of the severe health routes that I may face. Death or injury on the bike is an unlikely result of trying to avoid that.

hemo

Postby hemo » 13 Jun 2020, 11:42am

Not something I ponder about myself and one does as others do and try to aware of ones surroundings esp behind.
General driving was tolerable before the lock down as over the years we adjust to the poor driving standards on the road, however currently with quieter roads the more dangerous element of driver I believe are the ones who are using them more. The speedsters, the I don't care w****er's who can't wait five/ten seconds to go by safely and the ones who have no idea about road positioning at or when negotiating a junction. The numbers of these driver's probably hasn't increased but the % of them on the road is higher per capita of vehicles currently on the road.

Peter F

Postby Peter F » 14 Jun 2020, 8:19am

liamba wrote:I’ve been cycling ever since I was a kid and never thought about the consequences of being knocked off. In the last few weeks two cyclists died when hit from behind on a road I cycled not three weeks ago (https://www.bucksfreepress.co.uk/news/1 ... r-wycombe/), I’ve just found out a friend of a friend died on his bike when hit from behind yesterday (https://www.getreading.co.uk/news/readi ... h-18394630) and browsing Cycling Weekly I see a gentlemen has died when hit from behind when cycling in Yorkshire (https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/late ... own-457658).

All of a sudden, something that has never played on my mind is starting to cause some concerns. Are incidents on the rise or is this just an unfortunate run of tragedies?

The way I look at it is that there are 70 million people in the UK and about 600,000 die every year. Of those about 2,000 die on the roads. Every time you here about a car crash do you worry about getting into a car? There have been 4 fatalities on a road near me over the last 18 months, three car drivers and one occupant.

Phil Fouracre

Postby Phil Fouracre » 14 Jun 2020, 9:36am

‘three car drivers and one occupant’

Ah! that explains it, were the drivers remotely controlling the cars?

Seriously though: a very difficult thing to quantify - how do you assess risk? David Speigelhalter has some interesting ideas if you take a look. Personally, I nearly died in a non cycling accident eight years ago, and it does make you look at things slightly differently. Whatever you do, you have to enjoy it while you can, as none of us are going to live forever!
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity