Do you ever consider the worse that can happen?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Jdsk

Re: Do you ever consider the worse that can happen?

Postby Jdsk » 14 Jun 2020, 9:54am

Phil Fouracre wrote:David Speigelhalter has some interesting ideas if you take a look.

Yes, outstanding work on public understanding of risk.

Jonathan

Peter F

Postby Peter F » 14 Jun 2020, 1:26pm

Phil Fouracre wrote:Seriously though: a very difficult thing to quantify - how do you assess risk? David Speigelhalter has some interesting ideas if you take a look. Personally, I nearly died in a non cycling accident eight years ago, and it does make you look at things slightly differently. Whatever you do, you have to enjoy it while you can, as none of us are going to live forever!

I own the Norm Chronicles and I'm a bit of a fan of David Speigelhalter.
Accurately assessing risk unless you have access to data is impossible and even then data tends to tell you about averages. So you can calculate the average probability of dying on a bicycle but that doesn't tell you about individual risk and the impact of your own specific behaviour or environment.
There are lots of things people worry about doing, such as cycling on the road,but what will kill most of us will be far more mundane.

rmurphy195

Postby rmurphy195 » 14 Jun 2020, 9:53pm

Vantage wrote:I'm no more likely to stop cycling to avoid the risk of being squished than I am to stay indoors forever because I'm on the shielding list.
I don't take unnecessary risks, but I'm not going to spend my last few days on this world regretting things I didn't do when I should have.
Life's too short to wrap yourself up in cotton wool.

+1, though it has taken a while to get over being T-Boned about 5 years ago. Still get nervous, nearly had it happen again today. I do find myself getting angry at people's behaviour ever since then, where I didn't before. Somtimes have to practice anger management, sometimes I fail and give a finger wave, reduces the tension somehow. Now carry a video cam as a silent witness, but have given up complaining to the police

PS I've been cycling since the late 50's! (1950's that is!)
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !

arnsider

Postby arnsider » 17 Jun 2020, 11:57am

Just a practical tip.
Carry a space blanket, so prividing you are conscious, you can get someone to protect you from hypothermia while the ambulance is coming!!!