south croydon to east croydon to farringdon to liverpool street

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
beanwalls

south croydon to east croydon to farringdon to liverpool street

Postby beanwalls » 12 Jun 2020, 8:19pm

Hi All,

First post... I'm looking at moving house and wondering about the commute options in different areas. South Croydon is a possibilty but there are many more trains from East Crodyon and I wondered what the cycle is like, especially when I get into the busy bits around Croydon station (which I currently don't know at all)... Any thoughts?

Also, when getting into central London, I then need to get to Liverpool Street (or Stratford, but LS seems easier) and can either go to London Bridge or Farringdon. Has anyone got experience of either of those cycle journeys and can give me a sense of how busy they'll be etc?

It would be getting a 6:30 / 6:45am train in Croydon and then around 7am when heading from London Bridge / Farringdon.

Thanks all.

Grandad

Re: south croydon to east croydon to farringdon to liverpool street

Postby Grandad » 12 Jun 2020, 11:56pm

If you will be commuting by bike then this is the place to get advice. Your reference to trains makes me wonder though.

mjr

Postby mjr » 13 Jun 2020, 12:37am

I don't know Croydon.

Farringdon to Liverpool Street is easy road cycling, heading south on Turnmill Street, around the end of Smithfield Market onto Long Lane to its south side, then continue straight ahead into Beech Street, Chisel Street and Sun Street and then you basically hit the side of Liverpool Street station.

Alternatively, ride Cycleway 6 south to Fleet Street, left into Ludgate Hill (probably a hook turn), right side of St Paul's, left fork at the traffic lights into Queen Victoria Street, left of the Duke of Wellington, second left into Old Broad Street and then you hit the station front.

London Bridge to Liverpool Street is either direct and busy (over London Bridge, fork right onto the A10 and keep going) or fiddly (south to Snowfields, west on Quietway 14 to CS7 Southwark Bridge, straight ahead until you can turn right onto Queen Victoria Street and continue as above.

If you're intending to take a non folding bike, check whether it's allowed at that time.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.

beanwalls

Postby beanwalls » 13 Jun 2020, 1:00am

Grandad wrote:If you will be commuting by bike then this is the place to get advice. Your reference to trains makes me wonder though.

Great, thanks. I'll be going by bike to East Croydon and then again once I get to London Bridge or Farringdon. And then again once I get out of London, but I've been doing that route for a while and have it figured out.

beanwalls

Postby beanwalls » 13 Jun 2020, 1:04am

mjr wrote:I don't know Croydon.

Farringdon to Liverpool Street is easy road cycling, heading south on Turnmill Street, around the end of Smithfield Market onto Long Lane to its south side, then continue straight ahead into Beech Street, Chisel Street and Sun Street and then you basically hit the side of Liverpool Street station.

Alternatively, ride Cycleway 6 south to Fleet Street, left into Ludgate Hill (probably a hook turn), right side of St Paul's, left fork at the traffic lights into Queen Victoria Street, left of the Duke of Wellington, second left into Old Broad Street and then you hit the station front.

London Bridge to Liverpool Street is either direct and busy (over London Bridge, fork right onto the A10 and keep going) or fiddly (south to Snowfields, west on Quietway 14 to CS7 Southwark Bridge, straight ahead until you can turn right onto Queen Victoria Street and continue as above.

If you're intending to take a non folding bike, check whether it's allowed at that time.

Very helpful, thanks. So Farringdon sounds a lot easier. Busy from London Bridge doesn't sound great. It's a folding bike so allowed, but slower and bumpier...