Just one of those days

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
rmurphy195

Just one of those days

Postby rmurphy195 » 15 Jun 2020, 7:44pm

Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !

mjr

Re: Just one of those days

Postby mjr » 15 Jun 2020, 8:18pm

"This is a private video. Please sign in to verify that you may see it."
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.

philvantwo

Postby philvantwo » 15 Jun 2020, 9:19pm

Can't watch it!!

RickH

Postby RickH » 15 Jun 2020, 10:19pm

You probably need to change the privacy setting to "unlisted" so you can share it using the link without it being visible to all & sundry.

rmurphy195

Postby rmurphy195 » 16 Jun 2020, 10:56am

Sorry, just realised I wasn't logged in when I uploaded, so for reasons of its own Youtube created another channel or account or something. Have now put it where it should have been, hope it works
https://youtu.be/CeuI4JeRWl0
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !

mercalia

Postby mercalia » 16 Jun 2020, 11:17am

I wish I could do 25mph on a bike, continuously. Thats part of the trouble. I bet many drivers are caught out by such speed. some thing you need to take into account on narrow roads

rmurphy195

Postby rmurphy195 » 16 Jun 2020, 11:37am

mercalia wrote:I wish I could do 25mph on a bike, continuously. Thats part of the trouble. I bet many drivers are caught out by such speed. some thing you need to take into account on narrow roads

Freewheeling,downhill! I rarley pedal once the speed gets up to about 20, on the flat its all I can do to mange 13-15.

NATURAL ANKLING

Postby NATURAL ANKLING » 16 Jun 2020, 12:39pm

Hi,
Second encounter does look a bit like you are on the wrong side of the road :!:
Image Attachments
FDAC1A5E-AC8A-47EF-B336-17BA8FF87C0F.png
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.

NATURAL ANKLING

Postby NATURAL ANKLING » 16 Jun 2020, 1:13pm

Hi,
First incident is very typically that of a dangerous impatient driver, you just need your wits about you.
Last junction incident is very typical what car drivers do and they seem to wait until you're right on them before they pull out sometimes they don't even see you.
On the junction turning right my advice is don't indicate until the last second and then quickly get around to the car before they have time to realise what you're doing.
Otherwise they Make an attempt to pull out before you arrive and sometimes get it wrong and try to drive over the top of you :twisted:
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.

peetee

Postby peetee » 16 Jun 2020, 3:04pm

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
Second encounter does look a bit like you are on the wrong side of the road :!:

As the cyclist is already occupying the section of road with no central division they have right of way. Additionally the approaching vehicle is on a section of divided highway but cannot occupy only their side of the road because it is too narrow so, again, the cyclist has right of way in that section too.
Current status report:
Back on two wheels in deepest Pastyland and loving every minute. Mission: to enjoy big, bad hills again.

wirral_cyclist

Postby wirral_cyclist » 16 Jun 2020, 3:22pm

Incident #1 Typical impatient driver, would have done the same with you in a slower vehicle of any description.

Incident#2 50:50 you're all over the road

Incident #3 All cars turning right cut the corner to retain speed, and so the driver expects you'll do the same and thus pass behind him, so he isn't intending to cross your path, he panicked, he should have let you pass when he realised you intended to take the turn properly.

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 16 Jun 2020, 3:23pm

First incident the driver was in the wrong totally overtaking in the face of oncoming vulnerable traffic which was dangerous.
Second one,the cyclist had plenty of room to his left with nothing stopping him moving over,I can't understand he didn't just do that after all the car had no room to his left
Third one I'd give the driver the benefit of the doubt as he probably thought he was doing the cyclist a favour by getting out of his way so he didn't have to slow down but could have a clear smooth line turning right,perhaps the driver mistimed it,though TBH the cyclist had plenty of room and nowhere near a T bone incident.
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

mikeymo

Postby mikeymo » 16 Jun 2020, 4:55pm

In the second "incident" what exactly were you expecting the driver of the red Vauxhall to do? As far as I can tell, they were on their side of the road, correctly positioned, and there was room for you to proceed, on your side of the road. Am I missing something?

On the other two, first driver dangerous idiot.

3rd driver, options are:

1. Selfish driver who doesn't care about other road users.

2. They judged from their speed and yours that they could pull out safely. Did you have to brake to avoid a collision? You crossed the junction correctly, you weren't forced onto the opposite carriageway. If you watch the wheels of the pickup, it never comes to a halt, so it has still got some of that momentum that makes all the difference when accelerating out of a junction like that. It may not have been the manoeuvre you were expecting, but doesn't mean the driver was wrong.

3. Maybe they thought they were "helping you out" by getting out of your way (as others have said). And after all, see 2. above.
Hilarious, pithy, or philosophical signature.

flat tyre

Postby flat tyre » 16 Jun 2020, 8:47pm

The first incident could have been avoided by you taking a strong primary position to block the overtake until past the oncoming cyclists, at which point you can move in to let the following vehicle overtake.

rmurphy195

Postby rmurphy195 » 17 Jun 2020, 4:46pm

My goodness, what controversy I seem to have stirred up - hostility yet! Maybe I edited the video too closely, so here's a couple of clarifications

Incident #1 - I had been maintaining my position however when you hear a horn right behind you, at the same time as an engine being accelerated hard, and there is oncoming traffic, it becomes a matter of prudence. To put it another way, when I moved over it was avoiding action, no way did I want to feel responsible for the consequences of a collision with the oncoming cyclists, they were closer than they look, and they also are going downhill probably faster then me!.

Incident #2 - the roads over the dam are very narrow, with on that section pedestrian refuges about 2m long by 1m wide and an entrance to the footpath around the lake on the left, which is where most of the pedestrians were - so I rode on the right, past some pedestrians with a couple of other cyclists a few yards behind me (the ones the white van is squeezing past). A couple of stills to illustrate this follow. Realistically to pass a vehicle even of the size of the red car earlier than where I moved to the left means stopping with your wheels against the kerb, and leaning away from the car so as not to scratch the paint with your pedal, so this really is a place to assert one's road position. (The mike didn't pick up the stream of invective from the driver!)

Grabbed Frame 1.jpg
Image Attachments
Grabbed Frame 2.jpg