Average speeds for women

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Newbie2020

Re: Average speeds for women

Post by Newbie2020 »

Well, yesterday I managed an average speed of 16.9mph over 26.64 miles and 1294 ft of elevation. The average speed was helped a little by a tail wind on some sections (25mph on the flat was FUN!!) and some new tyres but I decided to REALLY push myself for the whole route. And I loved it! Although it took me several minutes at the end to be able to speak again and a good five minutes before I could physically get off my bike :D

To answer foxyrider the only thing I have done differently since April is way more miles. My gym closed due to Covid so I've been cycling more after work, cycling to work and cycling longer distances over the weekend. Averaging 130 miles a week over three months - previously I was doing around 70.
TrevA like your wife, I'm stronger on the flat than hills but definitely getting better going up the hills as I learn to utilise my gears more and not rely on brute strength which peters out half way up :D
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

Hi used to regularly see the otley chain gang with a woman on the front.

Lizzie armitstead I believe!!

Cheers James
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Newbie2020 wrote:
To answer foxyrider the only thing I have done differently since April is way more miles. My gym closed due to Covid so I've been cycling more after work, cycling to work and cycling longer distances over the weekend. Averaging 130 miles a week over three months - previously I was doing around 70.

In a nutshell your improvement is due to doubling your cycling! It was therefore almost inevitable that you'd improve but the bad vnews is that the scale of improvement doesn't follow a straight line, you may well have reached a plateau where improvement will require some different input. Of course you don't have to ride any faster than you are, maybe the next step is to ramp up the endurance a bit, take yourself a little further afield. The suggestion of joining a club/ group for rides is a good one, its not about the speed but you will learn some new skills, meet some 'interesting' people and broaden your cycling horizons.

Hope the bit of damp blowing around isn't putting you off too much! Have fun
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
wirral_cyclist

Post by wirral_cyclist »

Your solo average speeds will drop on a club ride that runs at exactly your pace! Trying to get 12-20 riders to flow well on even quiet rural roads will never happen BUT you'll have fun and will even likely be pushed on some sections by some members (especially those who want to be big fish in small ponds) but with most clubs you can go up a level, or two, and then you might find you get pushed a good bit, perhaps even all the time if they are all big fish in the correct pond! Try it, I went from local social riding club @12mph to riding 14mph (inside a year) with a CTC group, and that equates to 16mph solo, my next club ride will be the B+/A rides to see if I can step up again, if I succeed then after that I'll try a proper road club.
xerxes

Post by xerxes »

You can find a list of 'standard' times for various distances for age 40+ here. Obviously this is aimed at people who are competing in time trials, so may be quite a bit faster than what you are used to, but it's interesting anyway. Something to aspire to if you are that way inclined, but don't let it put you off!
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

According to the table I'm 99. :lol: :lol: :lol:
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.