Rode into a car

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
ChrisF

Re: Rode into a car

Post by ChrisF »

richardfm wrote:.........
Thorn Mercury https://www.thorncycles.co.uk/bikes
The Thorn Mercury Mk3 is a Rohloff equipped bike, its intended use varies between fast day rides and lightweight cycle camping, with either drops or straight bars.

I'm surprised by the damage the Mercury frame sustained; I would have suspected a collapsed front wheel and/or forks rather than two frame tubes being bent like that. Is that typical (or common) for a front collision?
Chris F, Cornwall
gaz

Post by gaz »

Somehow missed this thread over the last few days. Wish you a speedy recovery PH.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
PH

Post by PH »

ChrisF wrote:I'm surprised by the damage the Mercury frame sustained; I would have suspected a collapsed front wheel and/or forks rather than two frame tubes being bent like that. Is that typical (or common) for a front collision?

Are you looking at the right photo?
Most of the visible damage on my Mercury is the forks, they're destroyed. The frame looks OK, but on closer examination the downtube has a curve to it, the examiner didn't need to look further than that to condemn it. The front wheel isn't far out of round (Though the bearings are rubbing), it takes a lot to deform a wheel on that plane, unlike a side impact where even a slight bump can pringle it.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Some people just want to scarper because they think they might be blamed for some reason, or just don't want any type of confrontation at all.
I have heard plenty of stories where people have collided with things that have stopped and blame the person that has stopped?
Happened to me three times.
First time headdown going to work uphill, I used the average 20 mile an hour going to work, But it wasn't very far.
I looked up and didn't even have time to blink, on the boot of the car still feet in toe clips but just stuck there looking stupid, push myself off the boot and onto the floor still connected to the bike, frame was bent and couldn't move the bars.
Eventually shove the forks into a bench seat on the side of the road and yanked on the rest of the bike so I could turn the wheels, rode for three months and then the frame cracked on the way home just put my hand around the crack ha ha.
Examine the boot carefully but not a single scratch can you believe that!
Second time Car came round the corner on the wrong side of the road and stopped dead, went to put my hand on the front brake but no front brake The nipple had popped out, after that decided to oil front cables ha ha.
Fork bent back Guy said are you okay, I just mumbled and dragged my bike home.
Third time on the motorbike, there is a reason why you always keep your fingers on the front brake, car pulled away at zebra crossing and stopped across it, I assumed it was moving off, I didn't have time to move my fingers onto the brake before I hit the back of the car at about half a mile an hour, just fell onto the floor as I had both feet on the pegs to.
Car drove off and car behind me got out and said do you want the blokes number he just stopped all of a sudden, I declined and put it down to experience.
Get well soon.

P.S. The time it takes you to move your fingers onto the brake is too long to avoid a collision sometimes In my experience, you live and learn don't you.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Phil Fouracre

Post by Phil Fouracre »

Blimey! Are you safe out on the roads? :-) :-)
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Phil Fouracre wrote:Blimey! Are you safe out on the roads? :-) :-)

He does make you wonder :D :D
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
Some people just want to scarper because they think they might be blamed for some reason, or just don't want any type of confrontation at all.
I have heard plenty of stories where people have collided with things that have stopped and blame the person that has stopped?
Happened to me three times.
First time headdown going to work uphill, I used the average 20 mile an hour going to work, But it wasn't very far.
I looked up and didn't even have time to blink, on the boot of the car still feet in toe clips but just stuck there looking stupid, push myself off the boot and onto the floor still connected to the bike, frame was bent and couldn't move the bars.
Eventually shove the forks into a bench seat on the side of the road and yanked on the rest of the bike so I could turn the wheels, rode for three months and then the frame cracked on the way home just put my hand around the crack ha ha.
Examine the boot carefully but not a single scratch can you believe that!
Second time Car came round the corner on the wrong side of the road and stopped dead, went to put my hand on the front brake but no front brake The nipple had popped out, after that decided to oil front cables ha ha.
Fork bent back Guy said are you okay, I just mumbled and dragged my bike home.
Third time on the motorbike, there is a reason why you always keep your fingers on the front brake, car pulled away at zebra crossing and stopped across it, I assumed it was moving off, I didn't have time to move my fingers onto the brake before I hit the back of the car at about half a mile an hour, just fell onto the floor as I had both feet on the pegs to.
Car drove off and car behind me got out and said do you want the blokes number he just stopped all of a sudden, I declined and put it down to experience.
Get well soon.

P.S. The time it takes you to move your fingers onto the brake is too long to avoid a collision sometimes In my experience, you live and learn don't you.

Your bound to have got a claim against the guy on the wrong side of the road?
I am here. Where are you?
Colin Grigson

Post by Colin Grigson »

Hope you’re feeling better soon and back out on the road
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Cowsham wrote:
NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Second time Car came round the corner on the wrong side of the road and stopped dead, went to put my hand on the front brake but no front brake The nipple had popped out, after that decided to oil front cables ha ha.

Your bound to have got a claim against the guy on the wrong side of the road?

That was nearly 50 years ago.
My bike maintenance improved in leaps and bounds from that moment on :)
Knocked off just once, The driver was foreign stopped and did not come back to see if I was okay lying on the floor, his passenger was more concerned but I just got on my bike and rode off.
I doubt anyone would even stop today would they...........
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.