Macclesfield circular recommendations

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Pendodave

Macclesfield circular recommendations

Postby Pendodave » 21 Jun 2020, 1:14pm

Hi there.
I'll have a day in macclesfield next week and fancy a 30-50 trip into the hills to the east. I'm not at all familiar with the area (outwith a little Wierdstone of B).
Cycle.travel suggest going south through allgreave and hollinsclough to Buxton, then back to macc northwards via cats tor and billinge. This gives a 37 mile circuit with some nice ups and downs.
Does anyone have any better suggestions? I'll be on a road bike, would prefer quiet roads, but could manage a bit of gravel if necessary.
Many thanks.

The Gazman

Postby The Gazman » 23 Jun 2020, 11:51pm

Lucky you! :wink: I wish I still had easy access to the Peak District having lived in Salford a couple of years ago. However, to my eternal frustration, I wasn't aware of this beauty until earlier this year when I discovered it thanks to the person behind this account: https://twitter.com/peaksandpuddles/sta ... 1596624897.

As it's one-way only (unless you go on a Sunday, I believe), you'd have to head north-east out of Macc to reach the start of the climb, and I'd suggest doing so via the Brickworks climb out of Pott Shrigley. http://www.peakdistrictcycling.co.uk/br ... yt-valley/

You could even go as far north as Whaley Bridge before turning south towards Cats Tor to ascend that unnamed road recommended by P&P on Twitter alongside Errwood Reservoir, then right along another single track road to reach the Cat & Fiddle Inn before doubling back after maybe a few hundred yards so you can go to Buxton, Hollinsclough and Allgreave.

Considering your preference for quiet roads, I'd get off the A54 at Allgreave if I were you - as it's narrow, winding and the traffic is fast - and veer north to Wildboarclough and Macc Forest, then back to Macc via the three reservoirs for a total ride of around 45 miles. Or miss out all the water and rejoin the Cat & Fiddle just west of the inn to take you up to a round 50. :D

P.S. The only Billinge I was aware of was the village near St Helens, so do you mean Billinge Head Farm, near Rainow, on Blaze Hill which takes you past a secret bunker that is marked on Google Maps?

roubaixtuesday

Re: Macclesfield circular recommendations

Postby roubaixtuesday » 24 Jun 2020, 7:12am

You can't go wrong East of Macc if you stick mainly to minor roads. Some builds on Gazman's excellent suggestions:

For me there are two "must dos"
- the (currently completely closed to traffic) ascent of the Goyt Valley
- the little known spectacular scenery of the fossilised reefs of Chrome Hill and Park Side near Glutton Bridge.

Suggested route:

- take in the views of the Cheshire Plain and Manchester from Kerridge Ridge
- Ascend the Brickworks from Pott Shrigley
- Ascend Wind gather rocks from Kettleshulme
- Down to Errwood reservoir and up the Goyt
- Over Axe Edge
- Down to Glutton Bridge (take the first right turn about a mile after crossing the main road for the best views)
- turn right then take first right after traffic light controlled section, to Hollinsclough
- Ascend Hollinsclough Rake ,(brutal) to Flash Bar (Cafe)
- Turn left to Flash, descend (mainly) to Allgreave
- Ascend your last hill, return to Macc

*Approximate* route here - Google cycling directions takes a few odd options eg near Glutton Bridge so check it out on an OS map

https://maps.app.goo.gl/eTrD5mBL1YYxkepg6

It's a rather hard ride!

[Edit: photo of the fossilised reef of Park Side near Glutton Bridge added]
20200514_185025.jpg

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 24 Jun 2020, 8:35am

RT
That's as good a route as any,though I'd prefer the return through Wildboarclough,descend through the forest to Langley, then Macc
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

roubaixtuesday

Postby roubaixtuesday » 24 Jun 2020, 8:40am

reohn2 wrote:RT
That's as good a route as any,though I'd prefer the return through Wildboarclough,descend through the forest to Langley, then Macc

Aye, Wildboarclough is lovely and a good choice; I chose the other for a nicer final descent, it's a bit steep and enclosed down through the forest. I might be going up through there myself tonight...

Pendodave

Postby Pendodave » 24 Jun 2020, 8:47am

Hey. Thanks for these. I really appreciate it.
Was going to go Friday, but the weather looks a bit dubious. The suggestions have certainly whetted my appetite though.
I wouldn't say I have easy access to the peaks, but I have easy access to a train that goes through macc...

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 24 Jun 2020, 8:51am

roubaixtuesday wrote:
reohn2 wrote:RT

Aye, Wildboarclough is lovely and a good choice; I chose the other for a nicer final descent, it's a bit steep and enclosed down through the forest. I might be going up through there myself tonight...

Yep point taken,love it up around there and over toward the Peaks :D
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

xerxes

Re:

Postby xerxes » 2 Jul 2020, 4:47pm

The Gazman wrote:I'd suggest doing so via the Brickworks climb out of Pott Shrigley. http://www.peakdistrictcycling.co.uk/br ... yt-valley/

Alternatively the nearby climb of Blaze Hill out of Bollington is good, and slightly more strenuous.

drossall

Postby drossall » 2 Jul 2020, 10:39pm

Photos please, from another exile who started his cycling round there and misses it.