Macclesfield circular recommendations

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Pendodave

Macclesfield circular recommendations

Post by Pendodave »

Hi there.
I'll have a day in macclesfield next week and fancy a 30-50 trip into the hills to the east. I'm not at all familiar with the area (outwith a little Wierdstone of B).
Cycle.travel suggest going south through allgreave and hollinsclough to Buxton, then back to macc northwards via cats tor and billinge. This gives a 37 mile circuit with some nice ups and downs.
Does anyone have any better suggestions? I'll be on a road bike, would prefer quiet roads, but could manage a bit of gravel if necessary.
Many thanks.
The Gazman

Post by The Gazman »

Lucky you! :wink: I wish I still had easy access to the Peak District having lived in Salford a couple of years ago. However, to my eternal frustration, I wasn't aware of this beauty until earlier this year when I discovered it thanks to the person behind this account: https://twitter.com/peaksandpuddles/sta ... 1596624897.

As it's one-way only (unless you go on a Sunday, I believe), you'd have to head north-east out of Macc to reach the start of the climb, and I'd suggest doing so via the Brickworks climb out of Pott Shrigley. http://www.peakdistrictcycling.co.uk/br ... yt-valley/

You could even go as far north as Whaley Bridge before turning south towards Cats Tor to ascend that unnamed road recommended by P&P on Twitter alongside Errwood Reservoir, then right along another single track road to reach the Cat & Fiddle Inn before doubling back after maybe a few hundred yards so you can go to Buxton, Hollinsclough and Allgreave.

Considering your preference for quiet roads, I'd get off the A54 at Allgreave if I were you - as it's narrow, winding and the traffic is fast - and veer north to Wildboarclough and Macc Forest, then back to Macc via the three reservoirs for a total ride of around 45 miles. Or miss out all the water and rejoin the Cat & Fiddle just west of the inn to take you up to a round 50. :D

P.S. The only Billinge I was aware of was the village near St Helens, so do you mean Billinge Head Farm, near Rainow, on Blaze Hill which takes you past a secret bunker that is marked on Google Maps?
roubaixtuesday

Re: Macclesfield circular recommendations

Post by roubaixtuesday »

You can't go wrong East of Macc if you stick mainly to minor roads. Some builds on Gazman's excellent suggestions:

For me there are two "must dos"
- the (currently completely closed to traffic) ascent of the Goyt Valley
- the little known spectacular scenery of the fossilised reefs of Chrome Hill and Park Side near Glutton Bridge.

Suggested route:

- take in the views of the Cheshire Plain and Manchester from Kerridge Ridge
- Ascend the Brickworks from Pott Shrigley
- Ascend Wind gather rocks from Kettleshulme
- Down to Errwood reservoir and up the Goyt
- Over Axe Edge
- Down to Glutton Bridge (take the first right turn about a mile after crossing the main road for the best views)
- turn right then take first right after traffic light controlled section, to Hollinsclough
- Ascend Hollinsclough Rake ,(brutal) to Flash Bar (Cafe)
- Turn left to Flash, descend (mainly) to Allgreave
- Ascend your last hill, return to Macc

*Approximate* route here - Google cycling directions takes a few odd options eg near Glutton Bridge so check it out on an OS map

https://maps.app.goo.gl/eTrD5mBL1YYxkepg6

It's a rather hard ride!

[Edit: photo of the fossilised reef of Park Side near Glutton Bridge added]
20200514_185025.jpg
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

RT
That's as good a route as any,though I'd prefer the return through Wildboarclough,descend through the forest to Langley, then Macc
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

reohn2 wrote:RT
That's as good a route as any,though I'd prefer the return through Wildboarclough,descend through the forest to Langley, then Macc

Aye, Wildboarclough is lovely and a good choice; I chose the other for a nicer final descent, it's a bit steep and enclosed down through the forest. I might be going up through there myself tonight...
Pendodave

Post by Pendodave »

Hey. Thanks for these. I really appreciate it.
Was going to go Friday, but the weather looks a bit dubious. The suggestions have certainly whetted my appetite though.
I wouldn't say I have easy access to the peaks, but I have easy access to a train that goes through macc...
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

roubaixtuesday wrote:
reohn2 wrote:RT

Aye, Wildboarclough is lovely and a good choice; I chose the other for a nicer final descent, it's a bit steep and enclosed down through the forest. I might be going up through there myself tonight...

Yep point taken,love it up around there and over toward the Peaks :D
W H Auden
xerxes

Re:

Post by xerxes »

The Gazman wrote:I'd suggest doing so via the Brickworks climb out of Pott Shrigley. http://www.peakdistrictcycling.co.uk/br ... yt-valley/

Alternatively the nearby climb of Blaze Hill out of Bollington is good, and slightly more strenuous.
drossall

Post by drossall »

Photos please, from another exile who started his cycling round there and misses it.
ChrisL

Re: Re:

Post by ChrisL »

xerxes wrote:
The Gazman wrote:I'd suggest doing so via the Brickworks climb out of Pott Shrigley. http://www.peakdistrictcycling.co.uk/br ... yt-valley/

Alternatively the nearby climb of Blaze Hill out of Bollington is good, and slightly more strenuous.

Or compare both climbs by dropping through Rainow after the first then turning right to come back through Kerridge and Bollington for the second.
Pendodave

Post by Pendodave »

roubaixtuesday wrote:You can't go wrong East of Macc if you stick mainly to minor roads. Some builds on Gazman's excellent suggestions:

- the little known spectacular scenery of the fossilised reefs of Chrome Hill and Park Side near Glutton Bridge.

Suggested route:

- Over Axe Edge
- Down to Glutton Bridge (take the first right turn about a mile after crossing the main road for the best views)
- turn right then take first right after traffic light controlled section, to Hollinsclough

*Approximate* route here - Google cycling directions takes a few odd options eg near Glutton Bridge so check it out on an OS map

It's a rather hard ride!

[Edit: photo of the fossilised reef of Park Side near Glutton Bridge added]20200514_185025.jpg

Evening all.
I finally got round to doing this route today, in what passed for a weather window in quite a grim week.
Many thanks. It was really interesting and well planned out.
I was feeling particularly chipper after descending the dry valley down to Glutton bridge... sadly had to push up hollingsclough rake and the very last climb before the descent into macc.
In my defence, I'm old, had a few kg on the back (panniers with food, clothing for the trip home and water), and East Herts is no preparation!
I might have to start reading all those new cassette threads (have a compact c/s with 11/27 cass).
All in all, a grand day out. Northerners are lucky to have it on their doorstep.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Yes it's a geat area for trying out your climbing legs :D
W H Auden
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

Pendodave wrote:
roubaixtuesday wrote:You can't go wrong East of Macc if you stick mainly to minor roads. Some builds on Gazman's excellent suggestions:

Suggested route:

- Over Axe Edge

It's a rather hard ride!

[Edit: photo of the fossilised reef of Park Side near Glutton Bridge added]20200514_185025.jpg

Evening all.
I finally got round to doing this route today, in what passed for a weather window in quite a grim week.
Many thanks. It was really interesting and well planned out.
I was feeling particularly chipper after descending the dry valley down to Glutton bridge... sadly had to push up hollingsclough rake and the very last climb before the descent into macc.
In my defence, I'm old, had a few kg on the back (panniers with food, clothing for the trip home and water), and East Herts is no preparation!
I might have to start reading all those new cassette threads (have a compact c/s with 11/27 cass).
All in all, a grand day out. Northerners are lucky to have it on their doorstep.

Chapeau!

I *did* say Hollinsclough Rake was brutal. At least the scenery is a great back drop to the suffering.

34/27 is a hard gear if you're carrying anything. With the right derailleur you can probably get an 11-34 on most set ups.

Happy to recommend slightly less severe rides!
drossall

Post by drossall »

Memories of riding the Buxton CC mountain time trial round that area. I came last. Twice I think :lol:

North Herts is flatter too. :D