How to report an assault?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Raph

How to report an assault?

Postby Raph » 25 Jun 2020, 11:41am

On a ride yesterday a self-styled prankster leaned out of a transit van window and whacked me with (I think) a belt. Felt like he was giving it quite some welly as I felt it through the stuff in my rear pockets and got a very slight bruise (not bad enough to be obvious in a pic).

Luckily I got fairly clear rear video of him leaning out and taking a good swipe, and very clear front video of him smiling at me to make sure I knew it was deliberate. Got the number plate too. Files too big to upload but I'm hopefully going to crop them to the relevant bits.

I can assume he was doing it to several cyclists during that journey, unless it just happened to occur to him at that moment.

What's the best way to report this?

In the past I've sent a couple of vids to the cops, in one case it was dangerously careless driving with a 10-ton dump truck, I got a call back and they did ring the driver and had a word. In another I don't think they bothered even though it was a road rage incident where a van driver tried to crush me against bollards.

I'm thinking I've got to take a different tack this time so it doesn't just get ignored. It needs to be on record and the guy identified. And his face is SO clearly visible in the vid! He's obviously really proud of himself. It's very likely he would have done it to lots of people during the day.

rotavator

Re: How to report an assault?

Postby rotavator » 25 Jun 2020, 11:52am

There is a thread about a similar type of assault on Singletrack:

https://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/punched-when-cycling-down-a-hill-at-55km-h-wtf/

You need to report it to the police and chase them if they do little or nothing.

Jdsk

Postby Jdsk » 25 Jun 2020, 12:39pm

Don't delay reporting.

Which police area? An increasing number have easy ways of uploading these.

Jonathan

PS: Your call whether you publicise this in other ways. Familiar with CyclingMikey on YouTube?
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCm6g2GP912ku4lPd-155-Vw

Redvee

Postby Redvee » 25 Jun 2020, 1:44pm

From your location I'm guessing you'll be reporting this to Thames Valley plod asap. Most police forces have a video upload portal hidden somewhere on their website, look for dashcam uploads. When dealing with my local force they ask the same questions twice in quick succession but that won't put me off. They do like footage of two minutes either side of the incident but that's not always possible especially if the incident happens closer than two minutes from home. The registered keeper of the vehicle might not play ball but if there is clear footage of the guilty party then the registered keeper could get punished for failing to comply.
Most forces have a 7 day time limit of the event, I try and report anything the following day.

thirdcrank

Postby thirdcrank » 25 Jun 2020, 2:00pm

From your description of the incident, this was an assault so report it as such to the police covering the area where it occurred, not some extra-close overtake. The longer you delay reporting it, the less importance some may think you attach to it.

===================================================
In answer to the question posed by the thread title I'd say calling 101 is now appropriate.

velotrev

Postby velotrev » 25 Jun 2020, 3:53pm

In your report you also need to make sure you emphasise how "alarmed " and "distressed" it made you feel and hopefully this will flag up and be taken more seriously than "just" a traffic offence.

PT1029

Postby PT1029 » 25 Jun 2020, 5:27pm

The police will be more interested if the van is untaxed/no MOT etc.
Put the van details in here : https://vehicleenquiry.service.gov.uk/ (closed for maintenece as I write), it says if the vehicle is taxed and has an MOT.

If it is a business van, contact the owner if details visible on your video, if the business owner was not in the van, I'm sure he/she would like to hear about it. I did this years ago, and got a reply saying the employee had been told in no uncertain terms it would not be happening again. Sometimes your boss is worse than the police....

I think somewhere on here someone said they used a "Section 29"(?) complaint (I can't find a link, I looked just now and it seemed to only relate to cycles), if I have the right section, if someone complains under that section about a vehicle causing fear and distress (or similar wording), and there is a similar complaint (within 12 months?), the vehicle can be siezed.

Pebble

Postby Pebble » 25 Jun 2020, 5:43pm

I would imagine the police would be very keen to act with this, just go into your local police station and say you were assaulted and here's the evidence. I really can't see how the police could pretend it has happened in that parallel universe that traffic exists in, a strange parallel universe where laws don't really matter

eileithyia

Postby eileithyia » 25 Jun 2020, 5:59pm

Go straight to the police, do not pass go, do not collect £200. That's what I did when I was assaulted like that regardless of not having the wonderful evidence you have. Sadly with no footage or CCTV there was little they could but give them a warning. But their card was marked in case of any future incidents.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells

fastpedaller

Postby fastpedaller » 25 Jun 2020, 6:42pm

This reminds me of a similar assault that took place on several time trial riders at an event. The Police were called and said the riders weren't independent (even though they had reported the car number on reaching the time-keeper, and were riding independently). The Police did not follow up. The next week a (very fast) rider suffered the same, but there was a slight hold up before the next roundabout, and he remedied the situation with the car occupants! When he got back to the event HQ the Police were waiting and questioned him. He said he knew nothing, and the Police said 2 guys were at Hospital, so rider said "how many people am I alleged to have beaten? do you have independent witnesses"? I believe he heard no more, and the 'funny guys' didn't appear the following week.

Raph

Postby Raph » 25 Jun 2020, 6:42pm

Thanks for all the very helpful replies.

Just after posting the above I went on the Thames Valley online thingy and reported it as a crime rather than a traffic incident. I got a call soon after, made an appointment for them to ring me tomorrow morning, I'll find out how to upload the videos.

I've trimmed the vids down as they're 4Gb and 1/2Gb respectively, but I've got the entire ride still saved so if needed I can show there wasn't any previous argiebargie that led to the incident, it was completely random and unprovoked.

My other half who witnessed it from 50 yards back had only just got on the bike cos we'd stopped to discuss the route - as they passed her she wasn't yet on the bike. She might have got hit as well if she'd already been riding.

I sometimes wonder about carrying an RPG launcher... bit heavy I suppose, and would only get used once in every 10 years, unless I include idiots, in which case it would be every ride. Such as the guy who overtook the other day on a blind corner... sure enough a land rover towing a horse box comes round the corner, and said imbecile has no choice but to swerve back in sharpish and potentially shove me into the hedge. Luckily good reflexes and good brakes, I was fine.

PS back to topic - the reg number comes out as taxed and MOTed.

Jdsk

Postby Jdsk » 25 Jun 2020, 6:46pm

Raph wrote:Just after posting the above I went on the Thames Valley online thingy and reported it as a crime rather than a traffic incident. I got a call soon after, made an appointment for them to ring me tomorrow morning, I'll find out how to upload the videos.

Good start. I suggest making a written list of things you're going to tell them whether you're asked directly or not. It's easy to forget something. (See also medical consultations!)

Jonathan

Raph

Postby Raph » 25 Jun 2020, 7:12pm

I don't see any point over-egging the hurt, there was none, the only result is I know there's a guy somewhere who's a twerp, that's not really news and I know from facebook and youtube comments from a million idiots that they're around, it's inevitable you bump into them occasionally.

BUT as t0ssres go he's slightly more dangerous than the average, and will probably up his game if he gets away with this round. I should probably ask the cops about posting up the vids, though I'm sure they'll just say don't do it. This really is a guy with a serious problem.

Anyway I wrote it all down when I got home from the ride, including OS grid ref and exact time confirmed by the rear camera... and will have it in front of me when I'm talking to the cops.

fastpedaller

Postby fastpedaller » 25 Jun 2020, 8:19pm

Well done - let's hope they take action. If they don't (presumably) you're free to distribute footage to the press et al?

thirdcrank

Postby thirdcrank » 25 Jun 2020, 9:12pm

There's certainly nothing to be gained and a lot to lose by telling anything other than the truth.

The police need the full evidence, especially unedited video footage. This can be compelling evidence so if it goes to court and is contested, the defence will try hard to have it excluded. Any suggestion of editing is a no-no. If you have made notes, make sure they are dated and signed and show them to the police. Notes made at the time or soon after an event can be used by the person making them to refresh their memory when giving evidence.