Route from Doncaster to Bury st Edmunds

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Vorpal

Re: Route from Doncaster to Bury st Edmunds

Post by Vorpal »

I think Peterborough is okay for cycling. It's better than many places. Unfortunately, the cycleways are really poorly signposted, and most direct routes are not so nice.

So I tend to agree wwith PH that unless you know the cycleways, or have time to find your way around poorly signposted routes, it's better to go around.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Vorpal wrote:I think Peterborough is okay for cycling. It's better than many places. Unfortunately, the cycleways are really poorly signposted, and most direct routes are not so nice.

So I tend to agree wwith PH that unless you know the cycleways, or have time to find your way around poorly signposted routes, it's better to go around.

That's why I often give a fairly detailed route info of the cycle routes around Preston to get from south side of Bamber Bridge to north side of the city cos the cycle route signs are only to local spots, for those doing end to end.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
PH

Post by PH »

mjr wrote:Surely if you use Bourges Boulevard and the riverside, thereby avoiding most non-priority junctions but not some tightish curves, the detour to avoid Peterborough is only worth it if you cruise at maybe 25mph?

You pays your money and takes your choice :wink:
I've just looked and the difference from Peakirk to Whittelsey on the lanes through Eye is an extra 0.2 miles and if you do the bit of B road to Newborough first it's 0.7 miles shorter than going through the center of Peterborough.
Of course there'll be other results if you pick other end points, but I'll often be going though these two and my link above does just that. I've nothing against Peterborough or it's cycle paths, I'll often get a train to/from there as part of a longer ride, the route along the river can be a delight. Experience tells me that it's faster for me to go round than through and I certainly don't cruise at 25 mph.
mjr

Post by mjr »

PH wrote:
mjr wrote:Surely if you use Bourges Boulevard and the riverside, thereby avoiding most non-priority junctions but not some tightish curves, the detour to avoid Peterborough is only worth it if you cruise at maybe 25mph?

You pays your money and takes your choice :wink:
I've just looked and the difference from Peakirk to Whittelsey on the lanes through Eye is an extra 0.2 miles and if you do the bit of B road to Newborough first it's 0.7 miles shorter than going through the center of Peterborough.
Of course there'll be other results if you pick other end points, but I'll often be going though these two and my link above does just that.

Yep: I'd not go Peakirk. I'd follow the old Lincoln Road from the Deepings to Bourges Boulevard to the Riverside, which is 2km shorter than the B road using route and 3 than the back lanes. I wouldn't go through the city centre which is a cycling disaster area or even the district centres which are better. Each to their own.

It may be a good move to use a sat nav or cue sheet for either, as I bet the signs are all prone to damage and slow replacement, being away from the quasi motorways that get most of the money.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

Problem was the guy had given me a deadline and I knew the quickest way for me would be straight through gaining some easy speed from wind blocking and distraction from the architecture etc

It's a tour for another day.

The vans great btw!

Cheers James