New Bike

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
frank

New Bike

Postby frank » 12 Jun 2008, 8:35pm

After years of riding second hand and cheap bikes due to finances i finally had enough money to buy a decent road bike.
Last Saturday i bought a Specialized tarmac elite 2008. WOW . :lol:

eileithyia

Postby eileithyia » 12 Jun 2008, 10:43pm

Enjoy... :lol:
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 12 Jun 2008, 10:46pm

Mick F. Cornwall

workhard

Postby workhard » 13 Jun 2008, 1:55pm

in the same vein I'm about to shell out more cash on a bike (£700) than I paid for my current car (£600) - at age 47 I've finally got my priorities sorted.

meic

Postby meic » 14 Jun 2008, 12:22am

Once you have paid for food and accomodation, there is no better way to spend the rest of your money than on a bike.
However it isnt necesary, you can have fun and fitness from a rubbish tip escapee bike.
Yma o Hyd

Lawrie9

Postby Lawrie9 » 14 Jun 2008, 11:42am

I paid £40 for my lightweight racer and it goes like the wind, has an aura of mystique , charm, classic looks and craftsmanship that you just don't find with modern bikes. There are loads of wonderful used bikes out there if you know what to look for and don't have to be a heap of problems. I also have a mountain bike bought new.
Well its a beautiful morning here hoping to go on one of my wilderness rides in the hills amidst the hundreds of wind turbines. They are quite huge when you get close to the and make quite a satisfying wooshing noise. I don't know why people are so against them.
Whether off on your new or old bike ... may the force be with you.

120717anon

Postby 120717anon » 15 Jun 2008, 3:26pm

Gym = £60 Per Month/ £720 Per Year
Car = Anything from £1000 (inc maintainence) to £endless Per Year

Or bike = Anything from a few quid!

brianleach

Postby brianleach » 17 Jun 2008, 8:32am

I have had a number of cheap bikes over the years and even did a weekend in Normandy on a Probike Raptor last August.

However with a view to a longer spell in Brittany this year I have purchased a Claud Butler Regent and although not that expensive (well it's all relative) I have to say it is a different league.

I just want to get on it and ride. Anywhere will do and it seems capable of going for miles, unlike me at the moment who doesn't yet seem to be able to get past 20 miles!

Cheers

Brian

fatboy

Postby fatboy » 17 Jun 2008, 8:34am

brianleach wrote:However with a view to a longer spell in Brittany this year I have purchased a Claud Butler Regent and although not that expensive (well it's all relative) I have to say it is a different league.

I felt exactly the same when I got my Dawes Horizon. I paid just over £300 two years ago but I've done 4500 miles (about 6p a mile so far) and most have made me smile!
"Marriage is a wonderful invention; but then again so is the bicycle puncture repair kit." - Billy Connolly

la_bicicletta

Postby la_bicicletta » 28 Jun 2008, 1:59pm

Its a great feeling, isn't it?

I recently went for a 'new' 2007 Claud Butler Levante. I'm trying to commute
part of my journey to work every day, works out about 15 or 16 miles, some good hills on the way. And I arrive at work relatively unstressed, and feeling sharper.

Used to drop bar machines, I was a little unsure at first, but the upright position over the straight bars is great in traffic.

Its a nice bike, I'll be taking it for a longish run tomorrow (40 to 50 miles).

Good prices on them online as well.

lb

Nerazzurri

Postby Nerazzurri » 28 Jun 2008, 4:32pm

After having my new bike for 7 days, I managed 11 miles today - I'm very impressed, considering I'm out of condition and have poor health!

Really enjoyed it, along the Clyde on route 75. If the weather (and my legs) hold, I'll also do the couple of uphill miles to my girlfriends later; that would be my first time on roads so I'm a little anxious but I've got to do it sometime!

So far I'm not regretting trying a bike, even if I never manage the mileage that you guys achieve. If it lets me get around for my shopping and some pleasure mileage I'll be getting rid of the dent in my wallet, sorry car, in a couple of months when my road tax and insurance expire.

Beakyboy

Postby Beakyboy » 29 Jun 2008, 5:04pm

When working away and I ring home I ask my missus how the bike is, how she is and how the kids are in that order. Its not deliberate and she used to get a tad peeved but she used to it now.
May the wind always be at your rear!

james_h

Postby james_h » 30 Jun 2008, 3:48pm

Out of interest Frank, how do find your new bike compared to the cheapies you'd been riding previously?

Manx Cat

Postby Manx Cat » 30 Jun 2008, 8:23pm

It is indeed a great feeling to be able to get your self exactly what you want. Waiting now for pics please!

Mary

frank

Postby frank » 3 Jul 2008, 7:40pm

I have had the bike now just over three weeks. Compared to the other bikes i have it is an absoloute dream. I have done 456 mile so far .
When you start pedalling you seem to be at 20m.p.h before you no it ,the accelaration is amazing.
Riding this bike has made me a lot fitter than i was . I still ride my tourer to work and i can feel the benifits from riding my specialized tarmac.
The bike is worth every penny i spent on it.
I take it for its free service in the morning at Bike Scene in Guisbourough.