Critical Mass

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
belgiangoth

Critical Mass

Post by belgiangoth »

Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone here has participated in a Critical Mass ride, or has strong views for/against?

(see
http://www.urban75.com/Action/critical.html
for an explanation of CM if you aren't familiar with it)
zeb

Re:Critical Mass

Post by zeb »

Have better things to do with my time, especially considering I neither like riding slowly nor breathing exhaust fumes.

Never met a club cyclists who's ever admitted to being on one.
belgiangoth

Post by belgiangoth »

Fair nuff.

I've never met someone who admitted to being a club cyclist (maybe they don't have a club round here...)
gar

Post by gar »

urban75.com/Action/critical.html

Can't come but i'll have a decco
the cormorant

Post by the cormorant »

I went to a few in 1998 and 1999 when I lived in London. They're not everyone's cup of tea but I enjoyed them. Good banter then a shandy at the end of the evening.

The police were fairly tolerant of us and often supplied a motorbike outrider or two to assist with the traffic (I'm not sure if this is still the case).

Remember to take lights along though if it's dark, the polis took a dim view of lightless participants (and rightly so).

My advice would be to go along and give it a go.
gav

Post by gav »

I went to a Critical Mass ride in Edinburgh once out of curiosity. People were asked to behave before the ride started and it proceeded fairly smoothly. I stayed right at the back observing. The route took them to the then temporary Scottish Parliament location on the Mound where they handed in a petition. At this point it started to get slightly embarrassing as a woman decided to perform a one lady blockade of the traffic. A police man was there insisting that she move but he didn’t use any force so she stayed put. I felt that I should maybe speak to her as about ten minutes had passed and the car drivers looked really mad, like they were going to hate all cyclists for ever. However I was a coward and kept in the distance. Then they proceeded to the American consulate in Regent Terrace where they wrote rude anti war slogans in chalk on the front step. At this point I went home.
TJ

Post by TJ »

John Lennon used to be of the opinion that it is better to campaign FOR something than AGAINST something.

Campaign for cycling, not against motoring, otherwise you are doomed to failure.
belgiangoth

Post by belgiangoth »

TJ, are CMers cycling TO promote cycling in the city, or cycling AGAINST cars?
Jake

Post by Jake »

JL may have been one of the good guys but I've not noticed much peace breaking out since the Amsterdam hotel room business.
Bromptophile

Post by Bromptophile »

I used to go regularly a few years ago. I haven't been on one for two to three years, but might go again to this month's, to show solidarity, as I gather that the fuzz, formerly co-operative, are getting heavy and trying to close it down.
Bromptophile

Post by Bromptophile »

P.S. - I'm talking about the Central London one, that gathers under Waterloo Bridge.
Nurgles

Post by Nurgles »

Every cyclist should experience the San Francisco CM to see how much fun a CM can be.
Its true that its more like a parade but for me its one of the most fun times I have had on a bike in 40 years.
Bromptophile

Post by Bromptophile »

San Francisco was the original CM, wasn't it?
Bit of a long way to cycle to from Hemel Hempstead, even on my trusty Brommy, I think...
Nurgles

Post by Nurgles »

San Francisco certainly was the first in 1992 and is still going strong.You need to catch a plane of course but that is no problem for titanium folders...is it?
TJ

Post by TJ »

I have been a critic of the CTC in the past, but I belive the pro-cycling approach they take is far more constructive than the anti-car approach adopted by critical mass.
I do sympathise with the aims of CM, but feel they are going about it the wrong way.