Antisocial cyclists

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Tangled Metal

Re: Antisocial cyclists

Post by Tangled Metal »

Just a thought, if you're drinking whiskey then things are really bad so you would fly that code flag.
PaulaT

Post by PaulaT »

Stradageek wrote:So what is it with the average 'roadie'?

Yesterdays greetings were met with, in sequence: No response, no response, no response, - you get the picture.

I'm having the opposite problem. I just want to ride my bike and do a bit of birdwatching in peace but every plastic-potty wearing cretin in the county seems to want to poke their nose into my business. Grrrrrrr
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Is it really being antisocial to want to mind your own business and not day a superficial greeting to complete strangers with no team reason to do so? I think it's antisocial to interrupt what people are doing, their personal space, for what reason? To say hi to someone you don't know.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Tangled Metal wrote:Is it really being antisocial to want to mind your own business and not day a superficial greeting to complete strangers with no team reason to do so? I think it's antisocial to interrupt what people are doing, their personal space, for what reason? To say hi to someone you don't know.

It's the recognition of the presence of another human being,who at least you have that in common with.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

reohn2 wrote:
Tangled Metal wrote:Is it really being antisocial to want to mind your own business and not day a superficial greeting to complete strangers with no team reason to do so? I think it's antisocial to interrupt what people are doing, their personal space, for what reason? To say hi to someone you don't know.

It's the recognition of the presence of another human being,who at least you have that in common with.

But wouldn't that mean this applies to be everyone. Do you really go around saying hello or waving to everyone who is briefly in your presence?
Pebble

Post by Pebble »

May be I'm getting the wrong end of the stick here; are you saying that if someone riding in the opposite direction (with lets say a closing speed of 25mph) and that person temporarily lifts their hand off the hood, or gives a nod, or says hi. Would you be considering that as an invasion of your personal space and an unnecessary interruption to what you are doing? I have been offering these brief acknowledgements for years, never thought I could be upsetting the other rider.

----------

anyway, I have been taking notice and keeping a record of encounters with other cyclists this week

Monday, 58 mile. seen two other cyclists, first one was a bloke and we both simultaneously done the hand off the hood thing. Later in the day, battered by that gale force wind, I was stopped and sat on a gate and a passing lady rider shouted over to me 'bloody wind'.

Tuesday, 22 mile. One roadie encounter, he seemed to be in the zone and mustn't of had any spare watts for a nod.

Wednesday 37 mile. No other cyclists today, can't really blame them in this weather, only eejits out in today's cold drizzle

sum up - mid week, 2-1 to the good
arnsider

Post by arnsider »

Late this afternoon I stopped for a call of nature in a gate hole.
I'm breaking in a new saddle so I took the opportunity to stretch my legs before a got back on.
Looking back up thre road,. I saw a woman cycling purposely towards me on a sports bike.
She balled out "Are you alright" perhaps thinking I'd punctured or something.
I gave the customary reassurance and waved her by.
I think that is what we really think of on this sociability issue and in my case I was very pleased with the concern shown.
However, there are plenty of "Disagreeable types around in all walks of life and disagreeableness is a trait in human nature as recognised in psychology.
There are no Guarantees.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Tangled Metal wrote:
reohn2 wrote:

But wouldn't that mean this applies to be everyone. Do you really go around saying hello or waving to everyone who is briefly in your presence?

Not in where the there's lots of people about in towns etc,but where there's no one about I aknowledge the presence of others with a word a smile and a nod.
I see that as being cordial and showing friendly courtesy and as a result sometime have some friendly chats with others I meet,especially other cyclists though by no means exclusively.
TBH I find those I speak to who don't aknowledge my greeting as the odd ones,but they tend to be in the minority.
W H Auden
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

We differ for sure.
cycle tramp

Post by cycle tramp »

Well, if by personal space you mean your own dwelling and if by interruption you mean that I disturbed the enjoyment of a book, magazine or film, then Hell, I'm with you all the way...
However a public road is a shared space and if my greeting to you whilst you were cycling actually interrupted your train of thought, then perhaps it's a good thing I did say 'Hi'- after all you do need your mind to be somewhat focused on the here and now to safely use the roads....
And when I wave and say 'Hi' or 'Hello' or whatever, what I'm attempting to convey is that, 'I acknowledge your existence and having done so will stop and attempt to assist if you break down or I find you in a bloody mess after you encounter a hit and run driver (it's ok, I've got recognised first response training)'. Its one of those communication things, when a simple 'Hi' tends to have alot of foot notes attached to it....
so, anyway..
'Hi'
djnotts

Post by djnotts »

Stopped for 2 in apparent difficulties recently. One I helped get going again, one I failed (Not having a chain tool with me, the rusty chain having broken 2 links and jammed tight in the jockey wheels). Both - young and older - seemed surprised and grateful for my asking if ok and for stopping when they said "No!".
cycle tramp

Post by cycle tramp »

djnotts wrote:Stopped for 2 in apparent difficulties recently. One I helped get going again, one I failed (Not having a chain tool with me, the rusty chain having broken 2 links and jammed tight in the jockey wheels). Both - young and older - seemed surprised and grateful for my asking if ok and for stopping when they said "No!".

Cool!
markjohnobrien

Post by markjohnobrien »

djnotts wrote:Stopped for 2 in apparent difficulties recently. One I helped get going again, one I failed (Not having a chain tool with me, the rusty chain having broken 2 links and jammed tight in the jockey wheels). Both - young and older - seemed surprised and grateful for my asking if ok and for stopping when they said "No!".

Well done: being polite and helpful costs nothing and puts you in a good light. I notice you are from the Midlands.
Raleigh Randonneur 708 (Magura hydraulic brakes); Blue Raleigh Randonneur 708 dynamo; Pearson Compass 631 tourer; Dawes One Down 631 dynamo winter bike;Raleigh Travelogue 708 tourer dynamo; Kona Sutra; Trek 920 disc Sram Force.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Tangled Metal wrote:We differ for sure.

That seems apparent,but I'd bet you'd be glad of mine or anyone else not minding their own business if you were stranded out on a lonely road or trail somewhere needing a helping hand in the piddling down rain.

Story alert:-
Whilst out for a drive with Mrs R2 in January this year(before the virus hit)we came across a cyclist at Quernmore cross roads.
He had the bike(a Cannondale e-roadbike) downside up and seemed to be fiddling with the rear wheel,I stopped and asked if he was OK,he looked up and said no as he'd had a puncture and couldn't get a thread started on the through axle,I assisted by squeezing the dropouts in(which were surprisingly a little wider than the hub locknuts)whilst he got a start on and tightened the axle.
He asked if I was a cyclist,when I answered yes he said "I thought so,only another cyclist would've stopped to offer help".
With smiles alround and he got going again,we parted on good terms both of us feeling better for it.

Of course you wouldn't have invaded his privacy,but I feel sure he was glad I did.
W H Auden
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Since when is shooting it a hi across the road the same as stopping to help someone in difficulties? It's totally separate matter. I stop to help but I don't give a shout out to someone across the road.

We're basically discussing the greeting matter and you guys are confusing that with helping people in difficulty. You don't say hi to a motorist but if you saw one had crashed you'd probably try to help them. Or perhaps you might not I no really don't know. It really could be your argument that you only help cyclists who say hello to you and ignore everyone else.