Antisocial cyclists

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
peetee

Re: Is it me?

Postby peetee » 11 May 2020, 12:19pm

It’s the exception rather than the rule here ATM. I even get a “Hello” from walkers and horse riders. If a cyclist does ignore my greeting I just blow a raspberry at them :P . Makes me feel better. :D
Current status report:
Back on two wheels in deepest Pastyland and loving every minute. Mission: to enjoy big, bad hills again.

Tangled Metal

Postby Tangled Metal » 11 May 2020, 12:21pm

I recall that cycling as a kid you rarely met anyone so the human contact if a cheerful greeting was typical. Now you're meeting people a lot more so IMHO if you just want to enjoy your ride why is it not considered bad form to let people be?

Would you walk down the high street on a shopping trip saying hello to everyone you pass? You're probably on a job to buy X, y and z items. You've not got time to say hello. Besides you'd be considered a bit strange.

Hiking in the hills used to be a more quiet activity decades ago. Now, even the lakes is busy in winter. We used to look forward to winter to walk the more popular routes as the parking spots were usually free and the hills were not crowded. We would say hello to anyone giving eye contact but you could tell who wasn't interested by the lack of eye contact. Let them be was the correct etiquette.

Now you have to get to parking spots very early even in winter in the lakes. Popular routes never have quiet days at weekends even in winter.

Of course I'm guilty as the next guy of seeing the past through rose tinted goggles. Perhaps past times had those club riders / roadies who ignored the friendly wave etiquette. You choose to forget what you don't want to remember at times.

As for my view, before anyone calls be grumpy or other abuse, is that I greet those who greet me if I have time or notice them. I'm guilty of keeping half my brain on keeping safe and the other lost in thought. Two cyclists at pace going opposite directions can be past each other before the second person can respond. Especially if they're concentrating a bit on things other than cycling or other cyclists approaching. Cycling is a very good exercise for clearing your mind. A very good exercise for mental health. IMHO concentrating on what you're doing isn't less important than some long forgotten societal norms that probably wasn't the norm for everyone at the time.

Smallcog

Postby Smallcog » 11 May 2020, 12:27pm

I think there's a point about density. On a busy cycle route there are just too many to greet every one.

The "tribes" do separate a bit - mountain bikers, tourers and road racers. Parents with kids and anyone pootling around for fun will often say hi.

And, at the end of the day, no there's no law requiring a cheery greeting; if it ain't your think, that's ok.

Australia (where we lived for 17 years) is way more greeting orientated - apart from busy parts of cities, walkers, cyclists, sailors etc all say hello. In the outback, even car drivers acknowledge each other with a wave.

al_yrpal

Postby al_yrpal » 11 May 2020, 12:39pm

roubaixtuesday wrote:Whether in my appalling roadie lycra or going to the shop in civvies, I've found other cyclists of all stripes to be almost invariably cheery during lockdown, and felt real camaraderie from it.

In middle claarse areas people are generally much more polite... Down ere less so.

Al
Touring on a bicycle is a great way to explore and appreciate the countryside and towns you pass through. Make a difference...

roubaixtuesday

Postby roubaixtuesday » 11 May 2020, 12:43pm

al_yrpal wrote:
roubaixtuesday wrote:Whether in my appalling roadie lycra or going to the shop in civvies, I've found other cyclists of all stripes to be almost invariably cheery during lockdown, and felt real camaraderie from it.

In middle claarse areas people are generally much more polite... Down ere less so.

Al

Al, that's a very odd comment, I'm not sure what to make of it. Still, at least you've given up telling me I'm an expat, so I guess that's progress of sorts.

Keep smiling, keep greeting.

al_yrpal

Postby al_yrpal » 11 May 2020, 1:32pm

roubaixtuesday wrote:

Al, that's a very odd comment, I'm not sure what to make of it.

Exactly what it says? I lived in such an area for more than 40 years, now I dont, things are different, less gentile less polite. You seem to be the odd one out?

Al
Touring on a bicycle is a great way to explore and appreciate the countryside and towns you pass through. Make a difference...

roubaixtuesday

Postby roubaixtuesday » 11 May 2020, 1:40pm

al_yrpal wrote:
roubaixtuesday wrote:

Al, that's a very odd comment, I'm not sure what to make of it.

Exactly what it says? I lived in such an area for more than 40 years, now I dont, things are different, less gentile less polite.

Al

Al,

you do seem to be rather obsessed with where I live. I don't know why.

Cycling around the countryside, I've no idea how I would tell if other cyclists are aristocrats, lawyers or miners. Perhaps you can? Certainly, around here there is a mix of folk from suburbs, rural and big city locations, all of these being within easy reach.

And I have to say, from my own limited experience in a family with very working class roots, the idea that middle classes are more likely to give a cheery hello to a passing cyclist than working classes is not what I've observed.

roubaixtuesday

Postby roubaixtuesday » 11 May 2020, 3:49pm

Al,

I've received your PM and I won't divulge the content publicly. I am very happy to discuss any of the points raised here if you want to make them public, but I have no wish to have a separate offline private conversation.

I will just reiterate that your continued insistence that I live in or own property abroad is entirely mistaken. Why it would be so important to you even if I did have such arrangements is also a mystery to me. I have literally no idea how or why you formed such an opinion in the first place, or why you find it so hard to accept the reality is not so.

al_yrpal

Postby al_yrpal » 11 May 2020, 4:38pm

It isnt important

Al

roubaixtuesday

Postby roubaixtuesday » 11 May 2020, 4:41pm

al_yrpal wrote:It isnt important

Al

Very good. I expect you'll stop constantly bringing it up then :wink:

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 11 May 2020, 4:46pm

IME it's a mixed response across the spectrum,I concluded long ago that some people are just pig ignorant end of,it's that simple.
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 11 May 2020, 4:50pm

al_yrpal wrote:

Al

Really,you think so?
Dream on,my experience across the spectrum is that some people wouldn't piddle on you if you were on fire irrespective of their "class".
I cycle therefore I am.

al_yrpal

Postby al_yrpal » 11 May 2020, 5:36pm

reohn2 wrote:Really,you think so?
Dream on,my experience across the spectrum is that some people wouldn't piddle on you if you were on fire irrespective of their "class".

I am only surmising but from your posts and from others who live nearby you seem to be in a bit of a anti cyclist hotspot.

Al

ossie

Postby ossie » 11 May 2020, 6:01pm

Likewise...all good stuff. The only ignores I've had are from the odd frustrated dad at the front or rear of the family convoy (the mums always smile) the roadies usually nod when I'm in my spandex, I mean lycra....but always have...its all getting a bit much mind, I seem to be nodding constantly as there are so many cyclists.

Edit..sorry to butt in.. this thread appears to have gone a bit weird

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 11 May 2020, 6:06pm

al_yrpal wrote:
reohn2 wrote:Really,you think so?

I am only surmising but from your posts and from others who live nearby you seem to be in a bit of a anti cyclist hotspot.

Al

The discussion is about people to people interaction.
Wherever I go and I've travelled widely throughout the country,I find some people pig ignorant whatever their apparent "class",that's my experience and they can't all be "lower class"(your classifications not mine) individuals can they?

Just to be clear,no one mentioned social class until you brought it up :roll:

Anti cycling is more apparent where motor traffic is more dense,though that isn't an exact science either,and has to be said it is a small minority of drivers who display such behaviour.
Almost everytime I ride I experience the motoring loonie who simply can't wait the number of seconds on one hand to get past.Twice today in my 35mile ride I was overtaken on a blind bend by such idiots,one who had to perform an ES due to the approaching SUV they couldn't see coming the other way.The other who over took me as I was overtaking a stupidly parked car on the apex of a tight bend,which was only good luck there was nothing coming the other way.
I cycle therefore I am.