Antisocial cyclists

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
reohn2

Re: Antisocial cyclists

Postby reohn2 » 2 Jul 2020, 9:49pm

TM
The helping someone is IMO just an extension of passing the time of day.
I don't shout "HI" acoss the road at anyone,but speak a friendly gesture to them and as I say it's the minority who don't respond in kind.
Anyway if someone being friendly toward you upsets you so much I'll leave it at that
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

Tangled Metal

Postby Tangled Metal » 2 Jul 2020, 11:22pm

It's not the same. People help others despite never saying hi or waving or any other form of social contact.

It doesn't bother me but I don't think it can be called antisocial to not reply we all have our own views on what is social and what isn't. Not saying hi or waving to strangers isn't antisocial any more than saying hi or waving is. It might bother some though. There are people who do not like stranger contact and no doubt you might know some medical reasons for that. I'm not among them but I am not a waver neither.

PS if I don't wave back will you still stop to help me if needed? I will stop to help you even if you did give me an wave that I didn't want. :)

arnsider

Postby arnsider » 3 Jul 2020, 8:32am

Agreed and no doubt, if you passed me ignoring me and not letting on, then further down the road, you came off injuring yourself, you would be sanguine if I just rode by!

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 3 Jul 2020, 8:39am

Tangled Metal wrote:It's not the same. People help others despite never saying hi or waving or any other form of social contact.

That's very true,you don't have to have a previous introduction to stop and help someone,that goes without saying.
What I and others are saying is that helping someone out is just a furtherance of being friendly by aknowledging them by a simple friendly gesture,to me smiling and aknowledging others is a natural thing to do.

It doesn't bother me but I don't think it can be called antisocial to not reply we all have our own views on what is social and what isn't.
Not saying hi or waving to strangers isn't antisocial any more than saying hi or waving is.

I've not said it's antisocial despite the thread title.I just find it strange for people not to aknowledge others in a one to one passing situation where there's no one else about,you have a different view,enough said.
One thing I have found though is that during the the lockdown people have tended to be more friendly and smiley,though that could be a consequence of being couped up most of the time with less human contact or possibly even more human contact with someone they may be finding it hard to live with 24/7 without a break,who knows.

. There are people who do not like stranger contact and no doubt you might know some medical reasons for that

A very small minority I strongly suspect,but I also suspect the younger generations and a minority of older ones too have a 'stranger danger' paranoia due to their upbringing of what I'd term as close parenting for most of their childhood,there's a lot goes deep in at an early age that's carried through to adulthood not all of it good.Just a theory.

PS if I don't wave back will you still stop to help me if needed? I will stop to help you even if you did give me an wave that I didn't want. :)

Yes and thank you.
I cycle therefore I am.

Navara

Postby Navara » 3 Jul 2020, 9:24am

I stopped to offer assistance to a rider a couple of months back.It turned out he lives about 10 houses down from me on our Cul-de-Sac.He'd got a puncture and snapped all three of his levers trying to get the tyre off.He was sat looking a bit lost as he was about 5 or 6 miles from home and his wife was at work so he was facing a long walk.Having sorted him out we then rode on together.We now ride together once a week or so work dependent.
We've been neighbours for 20+ years and other than a "hello" as we pass walking the dog we've never really met or spoken.
(He's also purchase some decent tyre levers).

Pebble

Postby Pebble » 3 Jul 2020, 9:36am

Pebble wrote: I have been taking notice and keeping a record of encounters with other cyclists this week

Monday, 58 mile. seen two other cyclists, first one was a bloke and we both simultaneously done the hand off the hood thing. Later in the day, battered by that gale force wind, I was stopped and sat on a gate and a passing lady rider shouted over to me 'bloody wind'.

Tuesday, 22 mile. One roadie encounter, he seemed to be in the zone and mustn't of had any spare watts for a nod.

Wednesday 37 mile. No other cyclists today, can't really blame them in this weather, only eejits out in today's cold drizzle

sum up - mid week, 2-1 to the good

Another 51 mile on Thursday and yet another encounter with a cyclist. This time it was a teenager, I wasn't going to bother wasting my energy and lo and behold he waved and spoke first.

so that is now 3 - 1 to the good

only 28 to do the day, and in this rain I doubt I will see any (cyclist are a fair weather bunch) so this week could be a victory for the social.

Oldjohnw

Postby Oldjohnw » 3 Jul 2020, 9:47am

Out of about a dozen only one ignored me. But he was on his drops and clearly trying to set the world landspeed record. So disturbing him would not be wise.
John

thirdcrank

Postby thirdcrank » 3 Jul 2020, 11:00am

IMO Baron Blunkett of Brightside - as he is now styled - hardened the meaning of antisocial when he introduced ASBOs and various enactments trying to deal with "antisocial" behaviour.

IMO not deigning to acknowledge another rider may be unsociable, but nothing more.

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 3 Jul 2020, 11:12am

thirdcrank wrote: ......IMO not deigning to acknowledge another rider may be unsociable, but nothing more.

I think that sums it up in one sentence.
I cycle therefore I am.

Oldjohnw

Postby Oldjohnw » 3 Jul 2020, 11:14am

thirdcrank wrote:IMO Baron Blunkett of Brightside - as he is now styled - hardened the meaning of antisocial when he introduced ASBOs and various enactments trying to deal with "antisocial" behaviour.

IMO not deigning to acknowledge another rider may be unsociable, but nothing more.

Good point.

Useful to see the difference between unsociable and anti-social.

Unsociable might mean grumpy or not interested or too busy. Anti-social might mean dumping your litter or worse, leaving gates open etc.
John

Syd

Postby Syd » 3 Jul 2020, 11:31am

Oldjohnw wrote:
thirdcrank wrote:IMO Baron Blunkett of Brightside - as he is now styled - hardened the meaning of antisocial when he introduced ASBOs and various enactments trying to deal with "antisocial" behaviour.

Good point.

Unsociable might mean grumpy or not interested or too busy. Anti-social might mean dumping your litter or worse, leaving gates open etc.

https://wikidiff.com/unsocial/antisocial

From that I fit best with

anti-social= “Unwilling or unable to associate normally with other people”

Oldjohnw

Postby Oldjohnw » 3 Jul 2020, 11:50am

Syd wrote:
Oldjohnw wrote:

Good point.

If your avatar looks anything like..... :D

I vary between being quite nice to as you describe.
John

marquis26

Postby marquis26 » 3 Jul 2020, 3:05pm

Oldjohnw wrote:
Syd wrote:
Oldjohnw wrote:
Good point.

I do wonder whether Syd ever managed to kill the Baudelaire orphans...

Syd

Postby Syd » 3 Jul 2020, 8:22pm

marquis26 wrote:
Oldjohnw wrote:
Syd wrote:

I do wonder whether Syd ever managed to kill the Baudelaire orphans...

Now why would I incriminate myself?

MikeF

Postby MikeF » 4 Jul 2020, 2:01pm

Indeed. The heading puzzled me.
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master