Antisocial cyclists

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
reohn2
Posts: 39667
Joined: 26 Jun 2009, 8:21pm

Re: Antisocial cyclists

Postby reohn2 » 4 Jul 2020, 11:42pm

DaveReading wrote:When I go out for 20-30 miles in cycling shorts/jersey/helmet/gloves/cycle shoes, then I'm doing what cyclists do, so I gues that makes me one.

When I jump on the bike for to ride to the shops, pub or my volunteer job in jeans/t-shirt/windcheater/whatever, then I'm a person on a bike, and perfectly happy to be described as such.

YMMV

Why aren't you doing what a cyclist does in both instances?
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

DaveReading
Posts: 143
Joined: 24 Feb 2019, 5:37pm

Re: Antisocial cyclists

Postby DaveReading » 5 Jul 2020, 8:20am

reohn2 wrote:
DaveReading wrote:When I go out for 20-30 miles in cycling shorts/jersey/helmet/gloves/cycle shoes, then I'm doing what cyclists do, so I gues that makes me one.

When I jump on the bike for to ride to the shops, pub or my volunteer job in jeans/t-shirt/windcheater/whatever, then I'm a person on a bike, and perfectly happy to be described as such.

YMMV

Why aren't you doing what a cyclist does in both instances?

If you mean do I pedal in both circumstances, well then obviously I do.

Just like I put one foot in front of the other whether I'm hiking or strolling.

Oldjohnw
Posts: 4666
Joined: 16 Oct 2018, 4:23am
Location: Northumberland

Re: Antisocial cyclists

Postby Oldjohnw » 5 Jul 2020, 8:43am

DaveReading wrote:
reohn2 wrote:
DaveReading wrote:When I go out for 20-30 miles in cycling shorts/jersey/helmet/gloves/cycle shoes, then I'm doing what cyclists do, so I gues that makes me one.

When I jump on the bike for to ride to the shops, pub or my volunteer job in jeans/t-shirt/windcheater/whatever, then I'm a person on a bike, and perfectly happy to be described as such.

YMMV

Why aren't you doing what a cyclist does in both instances?

If you mean do I pedal in both circumstances, well then obviously I do.

Just like I put one foot in front of the other whether I'm hiking or strolling.


If that were the case it wouldn't be a problem. But unfortunately the term PoB is used, on these pages at least, to designate some cyclists as a bit inferior. So we have people who cannot change a chain. Or earlier, people who have electric assist called PoBs.

To show how ludicrous this is imagine a group of cyclists doing a run together. Only some can change a chain and some have power assist. But they are all mates, in the same club and doing the same trip at the same time. But only some can be called cyclists.

Which is why I say it is not so much offensive as divisive. It is also both unnecessary and pointless.
John

Cyril Haearn
Posts: 13737
Joined: 30 Nov 2013, 11:26am
Location: Leafy suburbia

Re: Antisocial cyclists

Postby Cyril Haearn » 5 Jul 2020, 8:52am

Please to stop bleating and trying to tell others what they think/mean
Only those who use the word have 'Deutungshoheit', only they know what they mean

I shall not restrict myself to using only the word 'cyclist', any more than I shall use only the word 'animal' for anything that creeps, flies, swims, bleats, moos, barks etc
Last edited by Cyril Haearn on 5 Jul 2020, 1:31pm, edited 1 time in total.
Entertainer, intellectual, idealist, PoB, 60097
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies

tatanab
Posts: 4126
Joined: 8 Feb 2007, 12:37pm

Re: Antisocial cyclists

Postby tatanab » 5 Jul 2020, 9:00am

Oldjohnw wrote:To show how ludicrous this is imagine a group of cyclists doing a run together. Only some can change a chain and some have power assist. But they are all mates, in the same club and doing the same trip at the same time. But only some can be called cyclists.
Now there is something we agree on.

e.g some years ago I was on a mountain pass around lake Annecy. I had seen a group of riders (careful choice of words, except of course they were not riding at the time) in the cafe at the top. On the descent I saw one at the side of the road with a flat tyre. He had no pump, and when I offered mine he had no idea how to use it. I would not describe him as a PoB, but probably "all the gear, no idea".

PoB to me defines the strictly utility rider with no interest in cycling except as a means of getting a mile or so on a generally very poorly maintained machine.

reohn2
Posts: 39667
Joined: 26 Jun 2009, 8:21pm

Re: Antisocial cyclists

Postby reohn2 » 5 Jul 2020, 9:01am

DaveReading wrote:
reohn2 wrote:
DaveReading wrote:When I go out for 20-30 miles in cycling shorts/jersey/helmet/gloves/cycle shoes, then I'm doing what cyclists do, so I gues that makes me one.

When I jump on the bike for to ride to the shops, pub or my volunteer job in jeans/t-shirt/windcheater/whatever, then I'm a person on a bike, and perfectly happy to be described as such.

YMMV

Why aren't you doing what a cyclist does in both instances?

If you mean do I pedal in both circumstances, well then obviously I do.

Just like I put one foot in front of the other whether I'm hiking or strolling.

But what's the difference,you're cycling in both instances therefore you're cycling in both instances IYSWIM
Walking is walking,using the terms hiking,rambling,strolling or walking isn't in any instance a derogatory term.
Whereas,as has been expressed by many on the forum PoB to describe a cyclist is is used by some as a derogatory term to describe some who isn't a 'real' or 'proper' cyclist.
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

reohn2
Posts: 39667
Joined: 26 Jun 2009, 8:21pm

Re: Antisocial cyclists

Postby reohn2 » 5 Jul 2020, 9:12am

tatanab wrote:PoB to me defines the strictly utility rider with no interest in cycling except as a means of getting a mile or so on a generally very poorly maintained machine.

Ask any random person on the street to describe someone anyone riding by on a bicycle and they'll describe them as a cyclist,man/woman/kid/child,etc riding a bike however well or badly maintained their machine may be.
I'll guarantee no one will use the abreviated term PoB as no one would deprescribe someone driving a car as a motron or moton.
These terms are used generally as derogatory terms on cycling forums IME.
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

reohn2
Posts: 39667
Joined: 26 Jun 2009, 8:21pm

Re: Antisocial cyclists

Postby reohn2 » 5 Jul 2020, 9:28am

Cyril Haearn wrote:Please stop bleating and trying to tell others what they think/mean
Only those who use the word have 'Deutungshoheit', only they know what they mean

I shall not restrict myself to using only the word 'cyclist', any more than I shall use only the word 'animal' for anything that creeps, flies, swims, bleats, moos, barks etc

Stop bleating in German to describe your precious 'sovereignty of interpretation',when many forum users don't speak German and regard your interpretation as derogatory.
No one's complaining about describing a cyclist by prefixing it with the word roadie/MTBer/touring/etc.
But when the majority recognise the term PoB or Motron to be derisory terms,it seems to me you use these terms to be deliberately contrary for the sake it,as I posted earlier up thread to wind people up for no reason other than your own entertainment,the last two words in the first line of your sig says it all.
In short stop being an arris!
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

Cyril Haearn
Posts: 13737
Joined: 30 Nov 2013, 11:26am
Location: Leafy suburbia

Re: Antisocial cyclists

Postby Cyril Haearn » 5 Jul 2020, 9:33am

Deutungshoheit = authority to interpret

Still waiting for evidence that many find 'PoB' derogatory

Only I know what I mean, but comments by others have got me thinking, wondering about changing my signature too :wink:
Entertainer, intellectual, idealist, PoB, 60097
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies

User avatar
Syd
Posts: 523
Joined: 23 Sep 2018, 2:27pm

Re: Antisocial cyclists

Postby Syd » 5 Jul 2020, 11:57am

Cyril Haearn wrote:Deutungshoheit = authority to interpret

Still waiting for evidence that many find 'PoB' derogatory

Only I know what I mean, but comments by others have got me thinking, wondering about changing my signature too :wink:

There is technically nothing wrong in referring to a person on a bike as a person on a bike.

Unfortunately PoB has been highjacked by those who use it predominantly in a derogatory manner and, as such, it’s use for its original intended purpose now causes annoyance and its falling out of favour.

We all know what you may be intending to say with the use of the phrase but it so commonly used in a demeaning manner that it is very easy to interpret it, and the person using it, rather differently.

User avatar
RickH
Posts: 5079
Joined: 5 Mar 2012, 6:39pm
Location: Horwich, Lancs.

Re: Antisocial cyclists

Postby RickH » 5 Jul 2020, 12:28pm

The Dutch seem to cope well enough with 2 words. "Fietser ", for someone just getting around on any bike (PoB equivalent) & "wielrenner" (literally ‘wheel runner’) for someone a bit keener. Maybe we could just adopt theirs? (link)

DaveBeck
Posts: 30
Joined: 10 Aug 2019, 10:07am

Re: Antisocial cyclists

Postby DaveBeck » 5 Jul 2020, 1:35pm

Cyril Haearn wrote:Deutungshoheit = authority to interpret

Still waiting for evidence that many find 'PoB' derogatory

Only I know what I mean, but comments by others have got me thinking, wondering about changing my signature too :wink:


Well here's one! I find it derogatory to describe people who haven't yet got the ability to repair or service their bikes as POB's in the way you mean, likewise those who ride e-bikes. Some of those people you chose to insult are my friends.

I also find it insulting and derogatory to chose to insult me by referring to me as a morton because I drive a car/van. I think it says more about you really.

Cyril Haearn
Posts: 13737
Joined: 30 Nov 2013, 11:26am
Location: Leafy suburbia

Re: Antisocial cyclists

Postby Cyril Haearn » 5 Jul 2020, 1:45pm

DaveBeck wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:Deutungshoheit = authority to interpret

Still waiting for evidence that many find 'PoB' derogatory

Only I know what I mean, but comments by others have got me thinking, wondering about changing my signature too :wink:


Well here's one! I find it derogatory to describe people who haven't yet got the ability to repair or service their bikes as POB's in the way you mean, likewise those who ride e-bikes. Some of those people you chose to insult are my friends.

I also find it insulting and derogatory to chose to insult me by referring to me as a morton because I drive a car/van. I think it says more about you really.

Did I refer to you directly as a morton? Fact is, most drivers routinely break the law and are mortons
I am a PoB myself, nearly given up driving, I am a lucky %@€#*
And I chose to live where there are few hills = no ebike needed
Entertainer, intellectual, idealist, PoB, 60097
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies

DaveBeck
Posts: 30
Joined: 10 Aug 2019, 10:07am

Re: Antisocial cyclists

Postby DaveBeck » 5 Jul 2020, 2:25pm

Cyril Haearn wrote:
DaveBeck wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:Deutungshoheit = authority to interpret

Still waiting for evidence that many find 'PoB' derogatory

Only I know what I mean, but comments by others have got me thinking, wondering about changing my signature too :wink:


Well here's one! I find it derogatory to describe people who haven't yet got the ability to repair or service their bikes as POB's in the way you mean, likewise those who ride e-bikes. Some of those people you chose to insult are my friends.

I also find it insulting and derogatory to chose to insult me by referring to me as a morton because I drive a car/van. I think it says more about you really.

Did I refer to you directly as a morton? Fact is, most drivers routinely break the law and are mortons
I am a PoB myself, nearly given up driving, I am a lucky %@€#*
And I chose to live where there are few hills = no ebike needed


Yes you did, and you are doing it again now.

You are indeed lucky to be able to have nearly given up driving and have been able to chose to move to a place which enables you to do this AND which has very few hills. Most of us don't have that luxury of choice. For example, I live in Cornwall, which is rather hilly. My job, which no longer exists at the moment, is 26 miles away from me, and although I commute there by bike, (Luckily for me I don't use an e-bike to do that, otherwise you'd be criticising me for doing that too.) sometimes I have to take my van because I need equipment there which I cannot possibly carry on the bike.

Cyril Haearn
Posts: 13737
Joined: 30 Nov 2013, 11:26am
Location: Leafy suburbia

Re: Antisocial cyclists

Postby Cyril Haearn » 5 Jul 2020, 2:40pm

Please to show where I made the alleged accusation against you
I certainly did not 'repeat' it here!
Stating the fact that most drivers routinely break the law could not be interpreted thus, unless you see yourself as a member of the group 'normal motorist'/morton

One hopes that cyclists who drive are not "mortons", but obey the law

26 m is far too far, it should not be attractive/feasible to live so far from work

I have been lucky, but I have made my luck too
Entertainer, intellectual, idealist, PoB, 60097
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies