Antisocial cyclists

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Jdsk
Posts: 2497
Joined: 5 Mar 2019, 5:42pm

Re: Antisocial cyclists

Postby Jdsk » 14 Aug 2020, 9:13am

DaveGos wrote:I generally acknowledge other cyclists, but do not get wound up if they dont acknowledge me. I think always epeting to be acknowledges is passive aggressive.

Sounds right to me.

Jonathan

parmos
Posts: 2
Joined: 19 Aug 2020, 11:28am

Re: Antisocial cyclists

Postby parmos » 31 Aug 2020, 1:29pm

i find it funny when i commute to work if i'm on my MTB and i get ignored by all the roadies but if i'm on my hybrid or my road bike i get the nod of approval but the funny thing is it's the same guys all the time, you would think that we ride the same commute so no matter what bike i'm on i should get the nod of approval :lol:

User avatar
Syd
Posts: 631
Joined: 23 Sep 2018, 2:27pm

Re: Antisocial cyclists

Postby Syd » 31 Aug 2020, 1:38pm

I’m not biased in any way Parmos, you (or indeed anyone else) wouldn’t get a nod of approval from me regardless of the bike you are on.

Tangled Metal
Posts: 7025
Joined: 13 Feb 2015, 8:32pm

Re: Antisocial cyclists

Postby Tangled Metal » 31 Aug 2020, 3:45pm

For me the real antisocial cyclists aren't those who ignore your greetings but those who suddenly appear from round the bend of a country road at the start of a village without warning and too fast to stop in the distance the can see. All the while maintaining their full tuck as they pass by pedestrians so close the hairs on their necks can feel the air being pushed out of their way as they pass by. I bet the guy, always male cyclists IME, then tells his mates about those stupid pedestrians not getting out of his way and how their dog wasn't under control neither. :evil:

Peter F
Posts: 143
Joined: 25 May 2020, 8:16am

Re: Antisocial cyclists

Postby Peter F » 4 Sep 2020, 11:19am

Tangled Metal wrote:For me the real antisocial cyclists aren't those who ignore your greetings but those who suddenly appear from round the bend of a country road at the start of a village without warning and too fast to stop in the distance the can see. All the while maintaining their full tuck as they pass by pedestrians so close the hairs on their necks can feel the air being pushed out of their way as they pass by. I bet the guy, always male cyclists IME, then tells his mates about those stupid pedestrians not getting out of his way and how their dog wasn't under control neither. :evil:


This.

Most cyclists smile, nod or say hello. Sometimes if you're on a bit of a mission it's all you can do to muster half a smile anyway.
The behaviour I dislike is flying round blind bends at top speed and expecting everyone else to leap out of the way. This is a much bigger problem off road though, as at least on road pedestrians are typically on the pavement and they are looking out for cars.
I'm not sure there is an accepted etiquette, some people are friendly, some people aren't, some people are working hard some people aren't.

User avatar
Velocio
Posts: 264
Joined: 12 Jan 2007, 4:22pm
Location: Southsea
Contact:

Re: They snub my greeting - Is it just me?

Postby Velocio » 4 Sep 2020, 7:39pm

al_yrpal wrote:Perhaps its my grizzled appearance and garb consisting of a white helmet, polar top, flourescent yellow tabard, jeans, cycle clips and hush puppies?
Al?


It's a 'club' thing. When I wear what they wear I get acknowledged with a passing 'hello' or a nod of the head. When I'm wearing t-shirt, shorts, and sandals whilst cycling (as I most often do) I too get ignored ...if my 'hello' doesn't get a response I mutter under my breath 'stuff 'em!' ...or something similar...!!
...ever cycle ...ever CTC

User avatar
foxyrider
Posts: 5084
Joined: 29 Aug 2011, 10:25am
Location: Sheffield, South Yorkshire

Re: They snub my greeting - Is it just me?

Postby foxyrider » 4 Sep 2020, 9:14pm

Velocio wrote:
al_yrpal wrote:Perhaps its my grizzled appearance and garb consisting of a white helmet, polar top, flourescent yellow tabard, jeans, cycle clips and hush puppies?
Al?


It's a 'club' thing. When I wear what they wear I get acknowledged with a passing 'hello' or a nod of the head. When I'm wearing t-shirt, shorts, and sandals whilst cycling (as I most often do) I too get ignored ...if my 'hello' doesn't get a response I mutter under my breath 'stuff 'em!' ...or something similar...!!


I pointed this out much further up the thread. ATM i get acknowledged by just about every roady but not so many 'touring' riders - my bike is a heap (the aero brake levers impersonate Campag Ergos nicely :lol: ) but i'm in my summer gear of bibs, jersey and race style shoes. I wave, nod or say hi to most people i see out on the road and get some sort of response from most of them. TBH, the least likely to respond are young women and old curmudgeons on elderly touring bikes (older ladies usually do respond).

Sometimes of course it may not be appropriate to expect a response, if they are concentrating on traffic/road surface etc, i find waving or nodding when i'm grinding up a hill or dodging potholes to be quite a challenge myself! It matters not one jot to me whether they reply in kind or not, its nice to get a response from horseriders or walkers that i come across - especially as the latter never seem to have the time of day for even their companions, trudging along in morose silence! :lol:

Thing is, dyed in the wool bikies are mostly a friendly bunch, new converts don't have the lingo, they are just not used to the concept of people offering a greeting without being in a controlled environment. Everyone would think you were a bit strange if you greeted every complete stranger you met in the supermarket, you only do so to those you know in some way. So really its more a case that cyclists are more social than most of society :D
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!

User avatar
pedalsheep
Posts: 1127
Joined: 11 Aug 2009, 7:57pm

Re: Antisocial cyclists

Postby pedalsheep » 5 Sep 2020, 3:19pm

There were lots of groups of club cyclists riding round the Isle of Wight today. I had to stop to fix a puncture and was pleasantly surprised when every group that past stopped to ask if I was alright or if I needed any help. Fair restored my faith in my fellow cyclists it did! :D
'Why cycling for joy is not the most popular pastime on earth is still a mystery to me.'
Frank J Urry, Salute to Cycling, 1956.

Jdsk
Posts: 2497
Joined: 5 Mar 2019, 5:42pm

Re: Antisocial cyclists

Postby Jdsk » 5 Sep 2020, 4:14pm

Just had a week with grandchildren in Pembrey on NCN 4 "Celtic Way" and the Coastal Path.

Enormous range of types of riders and machines. And pedestrians and dogs and horses and mobility scooters.

Overwhelmingly friendly, lots of waves and bells and horns and encouragement to the children.

Which was precisely what I expected.

Jonathan

User avatar
Syd
Posts: 631
Joined: 23 Sep 2018, 2:27pm

Re: Antisocial cyclists

Postby Syd » 5 Sep 2020, 7:26pm

pedalsheep wrote:There were lots of groups of club cyclists riding round the Isle of Wight today. I had to stop to fix a puncture and was pleasantly surprised when every group that past stopped to ask if I was alright or if I needed any help. Fair restored my faith in my fellow cyclists it did! :D

The only time I converse with other cyclists is if I see them struggling with something at the side of the road / path. If they seem to be handling things I ride on.

De Sisti
Posts: 986
Joined: 17 Jun 2007, 6:03pm

Re: Antisocial cyclists

Postby De Sisti » 5 Sep 2020, 7:31pm

I'm always anti-social* to other riders when they cycle up to me and ask me where I'm from.

*I respond by asking them to introduce themselves to me. They become very uneasy, because I have taken control
of the conversation and watch as they squirm, wanting to make a quick exit.
:)

mumbojumbo
Posts: 417
Joined: 1 Aug 2018, 8:18pm

Re: Antisocial cyclists

Postby mumbojumbo » 5 Sep 2020, 7:56pm

Hate to imagine their real reason for leaving-possibly "Did nt realise Richard Wilson rode a bike,wearing a top with a large union flag,and a pink hi-viz rainproof" or similar.

Cyril Haearn
Posts: 14180
Joined: 30 Nov 2013, 11:26am
Location: Leafy suburbia

Re: Antisocial cyclists

Postby Cyril Haearn » 5 Sep 2020, 8:02pm

De Sisti wrote:I'm always anti-social* to other riders when they cycle up to me and ask me where I'm from.

*I respond by asking them to introduce themselves to me. They become very uneasy, because I have taken control
of the conversation and watch as they squirm, wanting to make a quick exit.
:)

Is that the usual opening gambit? Any idea why? I should not be surprised to be asked how fast I ride, and how many miles I have done
Plus One for taking control of the conversation
Entertainer, intellectual, idealist, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies

Jdsk
Posts: 2497
Joined: 5 Mar 2019, 5:42pm

Re: Antisocial cyclists

Postby Jdsk » 5 Sep 2020, 9:51pm

Where does control come into it when other people stop for a chat?

Jonathan

User avatar
Syd
Posts: 631
Joined: 23 Sep 2018, 2:27pm

Re: Antisocial cyclists

Postby Syd » 6 Sep 2020, 12:42pm

Jdsk wrote:Where does control come into it when other people stop for a chat?

Jonathan

When a person completely unknown to you asks inappropriate questions then it becomes necessary.