Antisocial cyclists

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
User avatar
Velocio
Posts: 264
Joined: 12 Jan 2007, 4:22pm
Location: Southsea
Contact:

Re: Antisocial cyclists

Postby Velocio » 6 Sep 2020, 1:44pm

Syd wrote:
Jdsk wrote:Where does control come into it when other people stop for a chat?

Jonathan

When a person completely unknown to you asks inappropriate questions then it becomes necessary.


Perhaps they're just being friendly ...and not a nuisance...! :)
...ever cycle ...ever CTC

User avatar
Syd
Posts: 631
Joined: 23 Sep 2018, 2:27pm

Re: Antisocial cyclists

Postby Syd » 6 Sep 2020, 1:49pm

Velocio wrote:
Syd wrote:
Jdsk wrote:Where does control come into it when other people stop for a chat?

Jonathan

When a person completely unknown to you asks inappropriate questions then it becomes necessary.


Perhaps they're just being friendly ...and not a nuisance...! :)

If a complete stranger’s first question to me was to ask where I was from the word ‘friendly’ would not be top of my list.

Jdsk
Posts: 2499
Joined: 5 Mar 2019, 5:42pm

Re: Antisocial cyclists

Postby Jdsk » 6 Sep 2020, 2:08pm

Why is it "necessary"? What's the bad thing that you have to avoid?

Thanks

Jonathan

mumbojumbo
Posts: 417
Joined: 1 Aug 2018, 8:18pm

Re: Antisocial cyclists

Postby mumbojumbo » 6 Sep 2020, 5:18pm

If a complete stranger’s first question to me was to ask where I was from the word ‘friendly’ would not be top of my list.


Is n't life a struggle?Did you run out of vouchers for charm school?

User avatar
Syd
Posts: 631
Joined: 23 Sep 2018, 2:27pm

Antisocial cyclists

Postby Syd » 6 Sep 2020, 5:24pm

mumbojumbo wrote:
If a complete stranger’s first question to me was to ask where I was from the word ‘friendly’ would not be top of my list.


Is n't life a struggle?Did you run out of vouchers for charm school?

One thing I can never be accused of is having charm.

Live need not be a struggle I am perfectly happy with life and follow some basic rules; simply ignore those that annoy you and tell them to go forth and multiply if they persist.

mumbojumbo
Posts: 417
Joined: 1 Aug 2018, 8:18pm

Re: Antisocial cyclists

Postby mumbojumbo » 6 Sep 2020, 6:24pm

Understood?Where are you from-I am guessing Telford or M Keynes?

User avatar
Syd
Posts: 631
Joined: 23 Sep 2018, 2:27pm

Antisocial cyclists

Postby Syd » 6 Sep 2020, 6:29pm

mumbojumbo wrote:Understood?Where are you from-I am guessing Telford or M Keynes?

Neither. Originally from the West coast of Scotland with typical West of Scotland, working class, parentage which explains a lot.

cycle tramp
Posts: 846
Joined: 5 Aug 2009, 7:22pm

Re: Antisocial cyclists

Postby cycle tramp » 6 Sep 2020, 8:31pm

Cyril Haearn wrote:
De Sisti wrote:I'm always anti-social* to other riders when they cycle up to me and ask me where I'm from.

*I respond by asking them to introduce themselves to me. They become very uneasy, because I have taken control
of the conversation and watch as they squirm, wanting to make a quick exit.
:)

Is that the usual opening gambit? Any idea why? I should not be surprised to be asked how fast I ride, and how many miles I have done
Plus One for taking control of the conversation


Only on this thread it appears, and if its not the first question then the it's the sixth.
However may I take this opportunity to ask, do you really cycle on a fixed wheel with 49" gear? And do you think mumbojumbo watches Derren Brown at all?

Cyril Haearn
Posts: 14180
Joined: 30 Nov 2013, 11:26am
Location: Leafy suburbia

Re: Antisocial cyclists

Postby Cyril Haearn » 6 Sep 2020, 8:44pm

cycle tramp wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:
De Sisti wrote:I'm always anti-social* to other riders when they cycle up to me and ask me where I'm from.

*I respond by asking them to introduce themselves to me. They become very uneasy, because I have taken control
of the conversation and watch as they squirm, wanting to make a quick exit.
:)

Is that the usual opening gambit? Any idea why? I should not be surprised to be asked how fast I ride, and how many miles I have done
Plus One for taking control of the conversation


Only on this thread it appears, and if its not the first question then the it's the sixth.
However may I take this opportunity to ask, do you really cycle on a fixed wheel with 49" gear? And do you think mumbojumbo watches Derren Brown at all?

Yes I really do ride a 49" fixed, at 100 rpm I reach 15 mph, that is plenty, longest day so far 82 km
Rode my geared cycle today

The second question, I do not understand, sorry
Entertainer, intellectual, idealist, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies

cycle tramp
Posts: 846
Joined: 5 Aug 2009, 7:22pm

Re: Antisocial cyclists

Postby cycle tramp » 6 Sep 2020, 8:50pm

Cyril Haearn wrote:
cycle tramp wrote:Yes I really do ride a 49" fixed, at 100 rpm I reach 15 mph, that is plenty, longest day so far 82 km
Rode my geared cycle today

The second question, I do not understand, sorry


Thanks for the reply, i'm very much impressed! (as for the second question I'll leave it for Mumbojumbo to answer)