Antisocial cyclists

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
simonineaston

Re: They snub my greeting - Is it just me?

Postby simonineaston » 15 May 2020, 10:03am

Perhaps its my grizzled appearance and garb consisting of a white helmet, polar top, flourescent yellow tabard, jeans, cycle clips and hush puppies?
...and there's me thinking it was my baggy trousers, knee socks, orange Brompton and grizzled apperance... !
It's always been thus. Back when I drove motorcycles, there were no end of different "clubs" who would deign to wave cheerily - or not - at other bikers. Drive a BMW, like I did, and you were doomed to be acknowledged only by other BMW riders. These days, I accept that the following will not respond to my cheery nod:
* anyone on the drops, working hard - reasonable
* anyone in lycra & wrap-round shades
* anyone under 30
* anyone on a fatbike
* anyone on a 'leccy bike, which is odd 'cos my Brompton is (discretely) 'leccy
Other than that, I'd say it was 50/50 - I try not to take it personally! :lol:
I drive an orange mini cooper and am dim-witted enough to wave at any other on-coming orange mini driver - thus far, not a flicker...
ttfn, Simon in Easton
(currently enjoying a Moulton TSR & a nano Brompton...)

PH

Postby PH » 15 May 2020, 10:32am

I think it's the Hush Puppies, I consider myself a friendly sort of chap, but there are limits.
We've done this subject hundreds of time, maybe we should have a competition for the earliest complaint. People acknowledge those they feel they have affinity with, that will vary with time and place, it often won't be given much thought, and it's hardly surprising that sometimes it isn't reciprocal.
I used to live out in the sticks and sometimes catch the twice weekly bus into town, Saturday and market day, often with the same people on it. I'd nod to them as I got on and maybe exchange a few words at the stop waiting for the return. Now I live in a city with a choice of six buses an hour, I don't make any such greeting.
al_yrpal wrote:In middle claarse areas people are generally much more polite... Down ere less so.Al

Could that be an example of the above? That those you believe to be middle class are recognising you as one of their own?

Cyril Haearn

Postby Cyril Haearn » 15 May 2020, 10:48am

Bis drivers always greet their chums going the other way
That should be forbidden by law
Entertainer, kidult, curmudgeon
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies

pwa

Postby pwa » 15 May 2020, 10:54am

delete
Last edited by pwa on 15 May 2020, 10:55am, edited 1 time in total.

pwa

Postby pwa » 15 May 2020, 10:55am

Cyril Haearn wrote:Bus drivers always greet their chums going the other way

Why? That is the German coming out in you, rather than the Welsh :lol:

Cyril Haearn

Postby Cyril Haearn » 15 May 2020, 10:59am

pwa wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:Bus drivers always greet their chums going the other way

Why? That is the German coming out in you, rather than the Welsh :lol:

Half Welsh, half German and and half English, in that order, if you please :wink:
The UK law already requires one to keep both hands on the bars/wheel at all times, except..
Entertainer, kidult, curmudgeon
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies

al_yrpal

Postby al_yrpal » 15 May 2020, 11:39am

Let me explain... I used to ride with SPDs, particularly on the MTB but as the years wore on I have eschewed them. Why? Because I increasingly had falling over incidents failing to unclip and decided that they were too dangerous for me. The Hush Puppies are slip ons, no fiddly laces, comfy and its easy to adjust the foot position on flat pedals, they are great for gardening too. I also decided that padded shorts were a waste of time too, jeans were much more practical and I have an old pair with the legs cut off as shorts too. As far as the top goes I hate close fitting tops and love loose fitting tee shirts which the wind can circulate in cooling my sweaty torso. So, my cycling garb is eminently practical and I dont end up looking like a beliesha beacon.
Yesterday on a long ride I had a nod or two from the rare roadies one encounters in the very hilly hinterland on my way cross country to Crediton. There I happened upon a couple of grizzled folk clad in faded garb touting drop handlebarred tourers, the types one sees on CTC sunday mornings runs.. They totally blanked me. I suppose it was the electric bike that convinced them I wasnt really one of them :D :(

Al
Touring on a bicycle is a great way to explore and appreciate the countryside and towns you pass through. Make a difference...

PH

Postby PH » 15 May 2020, 11:46am

al_yrpal wrote:I happened upon a couple of grizzled folk clad in faded garb touting drop handlebarred tourers, the types one sees on CTC sunday mornings runs.. They totally blanked me. I suppose it was the electric bike that convinced them I wasnt really one of them :D :(
Al

I'm still convinced it's the Hush Puppies, the most grizzled* of folk in my CTC group are on electric bikes so I doubt it's that.
Could this attitude be a part of it?
I dont end up looking like a beliesha beacon.

* Though it's not a requirement, all welcome.

CyberKnight

Postby CyberKnight » 15 May 2020, 12:05pm

John Wayne: "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on... I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."

al_yrpal

Postby al_yrpal » 15 May 2020, 12:19pm

PH wrote:
al_yrpal wrote:I happened upon a couple of grizzled folk clad in faded garb touting drop handlebarred tourers, the types one sees on CTC sunday mornings runs.. They totally blanked me. I suppose it was the electric bike that convinced them I wasnt really one of them :D :(
Al

I'm still convinced it's the Hush Puppies, the most grizzled* of folk in my CTC group are on electric bikes so I doubt it's that.
Could this attitude be a part of it?
I dont end up looking like a beliesha beacon.

* Though it's not a requirement, all welcome.

I dont think so, I always greet other cyclists in a cheery fashion regardless of anything. Perhaps it is the footware, but a lot of people think electric bikes are cheating? However you hardly ever see any other cyclists on the hills around here, its just too hilly.

Al
Touring on a bicycle is a great way to explore and appreciate the countryside and towns you pass through. Make a difference...

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 15 May 2020, 12:37pm

al_yrpal wrote:Let me explain... I used to ride with SPDs, particularly on the MTB but as the years wore on I have eschewed them. Why? Because I increasingly had falling over incidents failing to unclip and decided that they were too dangerous for me. The Hush Puppies are slip ons, no fiddly laces, comfy and its easy to adjust the foot position on flat pedals, they are great for gardening too. I also decided that padded shorts were a waste of time too, jeans were much more practical and I have an old pair with the legs cut off as shorts too. As far as the top goes I hate close fitting tops and love loose fitting tee shirts which the wind can circulate in cooling my sweaty torso. So, my cycling garb is eminently practical and I dont end up looking like a beliesha beacon.
Yesterday on a long ride I had a nod or two from the rare roadies one encounters in the very hilly hinterland on my way cross country to Crediton. There I happened upon a couple of grizzled folk clad in faded garb touting drop handlebarred tourers, the types one sees on CTC sunday mornings runs.. They totally blanked me. I suppose it was the electric bike that convinced them I wasnt really one of them :D :(

Al

OTOH,I wear lycra bib shorts,usually hi viz cycling specific top complete with three rear pockets,Specialized SPD MTB shoes with the in vogue 21ct black socks,topped off with either a beanie hat,casqette or buff as headgear,whether on the Vaya,Vagabond or Longitude,there will be an elememt of other cyclists who'll blank even my most overt HI,HELLO or HOW DO.
I could think there's something wrong with me,but prefer to think that in modern society some people are just ignorant gits :)
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

PH

Postby PH » 15 May 2020, 12:38pm

al_yrpal wrote: a lot of people think electric bikes are cheating?Al

More fool them.
I think it just goes back to the original point I made about affinity, you either greet everyone or those with who you feel some commonality. If someone sees themselves as an athlete out improving their performance, they may not recognise themselves as having much in common with the bloke in Hush Puppies on an electric bike. I wouldn't take it as a snub, it's probably more on a natural action than a thought through philosophy.

PH

Postby PH » 15 May 2020, 12:39pm

reohn2 wrote:I could think there's something wrong with me,but prefer to think that in modern society some people are just ignorant gits :)

How modern? I'll bet such behavior is older than the bicycle.

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 15 May 2020, 12:44pm

PH wrote:
reohn2 wrote:I could think there's something wrong with me,but prefer to think that in modern society some people are just ignorant gits :)

How modern? I'll bet such behavior is older than the bicycle.

You're right of course though it does seem more prevalent these days,and I couldn't categorise them by age gender or style of rider.
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

al_yrpal

Postby al_yrpal » 15 May 2020, 12:57pm

I dont take being blanked as a snub, I think Graham or Vorpal has taken it upon themselves to alter the thread title from "is it just me" which is what I wrote, supposedly to add clarity. I am much more laid back. I am just puzzled if its because what I look like thats all? Ken Clarke is famous for his Hush Puppies, perhaps they think I'm a Tory! The truth is I dress like this because of what I wrote above and ride an e bike because I am getting old and cant tackle the very hilly countryside around here without a bit of assistance. :)

Al