Antisocial cyclists

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
reohn2

Re: They snub my greeting - Is it just me?

Postby reohn2 » 15 May 2020, 1:13pm

PH wrote:
al_yrpal wrote: a lot of people think electric bikes are cheating?Al

More fool them.
I think it just goes back to the original point I made about affinity, you either greet everyone or those with who you feel some commonality. If someone sees themselves as an athlete out improving their performance, they may not recognise themselves as having much in common with the bloke in Hush Puppies on an electric bike. I wouldn't take it as a snub, it's probably more on a natural action than a thought through philosophy.

But it's not just a certain section of cycling society though.
I've had people riding full sus MTBs or out and out roadies ask about my bike in an enquiring and freindly way whilst others will blank me deliberately.
I'm reminded of a post on the forum from a couple of years ago when someone out for a ride on their touring MTB was passed by a roadie group who he spoke to as they went by without response,the last one going through said "we don't speak to scum".
There seems to be an element of that with some people .
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

PH

Postby PH » 15 May 2020, 1:26pm

reohn2 wrote:But it's not just a certain section of cycling society though.

I didn't think it was, any more than I thought Hush Puppies and electric bikes were defining factors, I just gave them as examples.
If you try defining why people feel that commonality you'll go round and round in circles, it can't be done. As an example - if you're out somewhere in the wilds where you hardly see anyone else, you are likely to feel something in common with whoever you come across and greet them. Pass the same person in a busy street among hundreds of others and it's unlikely you will.

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 15 May 2020, 2:02pm

PH wrote:
reohn2 wrote:But it's not just a certain section of cycling society though.

I didn't think it was, any more than I thought Hush Puppies and electric bikes were defining factors, I just gave them as examples.
If you try defining why people feel that commonality you'll go round and round in circles, it can't be done. As an example - if you're out somewhere in the wilds where you hardly see anyone else, you are likely to feel something in common with whoever you come across and greet them. Pass the same person in a busy street among hundreds of others and it's unlikely you will.

Oh I agree,though there has been occasion on lonely moors when walking I've be blanked by 'fellow' walkers and similarly so when cycling by other cyclists :)
What was that saying,"the more I look at people the more I like me dog" :wink:
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

mercalia

Postby mercalia » 15 May 2020, 5:04pm

B.O?

djnotts

Postby djnotts » 15 May 2020, 9:45pm

Current etiquette seems to be a slightly raised hand - as long as i am riding drop bars (carbon road or steel 26" tourer). Less acknowledgement with retro Kona Fire Mountain.

Mike Sales

Postby Mike Sales » 15 May 2020, 9:49pm

When I can get out on my bike I will say hello to every other cyclist who is fortunate enough to be awheel.
In the village I expect most of them will nod back.

al_yrpal

Postby al_yrpal » 15 May 2020, 9:54pm

mercalia wrote:B.O?

Nah, I use Lifebuoy :lol:

Al

Wright's Coal Tar actually, it leaves no mess...
Touring on a bicycle is a great way to explore and appreciate the countryside and towns you pass through. Make a difference...

llayercake

Postby llayercake » 15 May 2020, 11:03pm

Roadies have been like that forever. They used to have a name for sociable non-roadie clones, I think that it was 'Nodders'.

Found it. Second definition down. Didn't know the reason behind it until today though.

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=nodder

Stradageek

Antisocial cyclists

Postby Stradageek » 29 Jun 2020, 8:52am

Having abandoned group cycling to avoid COVID, I find myself longing for a passing word and/or friendly brief (distanced) chat with any other cyclist I might meet on the road. There being so many more cyclists on the road these days I assumed this would be a general need.

So what is it with the average 'roadie'?

Yesterdays greetings were met with, in sequence: No response, no response, no response, - you get the picture. Then one guy hunted me down for a mile or so and passed me saying only "you need a light or a flag on that, you're too hard to see" despite me being on a recumbent high-racer and he having spotted me from about half a mile distant! He ignored my reply which was, "I've never had any problems, I think it's because I look so unusual that I'm easily spotted" so I retaliated in what seemed the only suitable fashion, I sat in his slipstream for the next mile until my turn off.

I'm sure this topic has been raised many and oft, so apologies for the rant

I would however proffer one possible explanation, a lot of these guys seem to cycling 'on the limit' either while struggling to keep up with the faster guy (in the typical group of three) or individually at the mercy of a Strava target. Perhaps this leaves little breath for conversation.

I intend to keep trying and meanwhile continue to enjoy the sights, smells and sounds of the countryside - no idea how far or how fast I cycled yesterday but the views in the Cotswold foothills were magnificent.

freeflow

Re: Antisocial cyclists

Postby freeflow » 29 Jun 2020, 9:06am

An alterative explanation is that they are enjoying being in the zone on their bike and the last thing they want is interruption by an unknown stranger.

eileithyia

Postby eileithyia » 29 Jun 2020, 9:15am

Day out on the High Peak and Tissington trails, last week, Everyone was friendly and greeted us on the HPT, while TT was totally opposite???????????
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells

Oldjohnw

Postby Oldjohnw » 29 Jun 2020, 9:32am

Riding round north Northumberland I mainly get the most friendly of greetings. Occasionally someone appears to be concentrating on making a world speed record and doesn't notice.

Interestingly, I see the same dozen or so people all over the place within 40 miles range, either side of the border. We know each other by sight and a nice friendly exchange takes place. All ages and both (dare I say that) genders.
Last edited by Oldjohnw on 29 Jun 2020, 5:00pm, edited 1 time in total.
John

hamster

Postby hamster » 29 Jun 2020, 9:49am

I don't share your experience - normally a nod or raised fingers on the bars. It's rare not to get one, even if I'm on my MTB.

flat tyre

Postby flat tyre » 29 Jun 2020, 9:59am

I haven't seen one of these threads for a while!

mjr

Postby mjr » 29 Jun 2020, 10:22am

flat tyre wrote:I haven't seen one of these threads for a while!

So why aren't you waving at it, you antisocial ****? ;)
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.