Antisocial cyclists

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Lilyf

Re: Antisocial cyclists

Postby Lilyf » 29 Jun 2020, 10:24am

I experience antisocial cyclists a lot (and almost started the same topic the other day after being ignored more than ever!).
Some come up behind me and fly past, not a word, some come in the opposite direction and look through me without a word.
Is it because I am a woman, tootling along at my own speed or is it because I have my little carradice saddlebag on the back?
Does it make them think that ‘she’s not a real cyclist’ - when, in fact, I’ve been cycling longer than a lot of them have been alive (old enough to be their parent and in some cases their grandparent).
However, it won’t stop me saying hello or giving a friendly wave or smile, or pass the time of day with everyone I meet on my travels. That could be a 3yr old with stabilisers, a person out training, a club group, or the person (that can include me) who is pushing their bike up that nasty little hill.
We’re all on our bikes for the same reason. We love life and we want to stay as fit and healthy as possible.
Thank you, though, to all those who do acknowledge that I am there and even those who make me jump out of my skin as they greet me as they fly past from behind.
So, in my case, to all those out in the Cheshire Lanes and the hills of Derbyshire/Staffordshire - if you don’t do already then say hello to your fellow cyclists.

NUKe

Postby NUKe » 29 Jun 2020, 10:51am

This comes up time and time again. I do tend to acknowledge people most of the time its reciprocated. I don't really care if its not. But just to put the alternative point of view.
1. you may be missing their nod or raised hand.
2. sometimes Cyclists in pairs are wrapped up in conversation so you might not register.
3. People may be in the zone so are concentrating on their own cycling not yours
4. They might just be wrapped up in their own lives and problem that they don't want to interact with the Outside world.

Even if, its just they see themselves as being Superior, it really doesn't matter it wont change your life one Iota. So don't get angry carry waving
you might just lift someone's spirits and make their day a little happier
NUKe

tatanab

Postby tatanab » 29 Jun 2020, 11:07am

Wow. It has been a month since this subject was last raised. It reached 5 pages then. What is the record? Is there anything new to say?

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=137459&hilit=nodding

Cyril Haearn

Postby Cyril Haearn » 29 Jun 2020, 11:28am

Best to keep both hands on the bars at all times, best not to communicate with stangers

Perhaps the numerous similar threads could be merged
Entertainer, kidult, curmudgeon
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies

Oldjohnw

Postby Oldjohnw » 29 Jun 2020, 11:30am

Best to keep both hands on the bars at all times, best not to communicate with stangers

Presumably said in jest :(
John

peetee

Postby peetee » 29 Jun 2020, 11:42am

In my experience it is nowhere near as bad as it used to be- but then I have moved and most everyone here exchanges greetings, walkers, horse riders, cyclists. It may well be different where you are.
Thirty years ago, living in the South east, I would struggle to get a word out of a fellow time-trialist at an evening meeting, but maybe that’s the nature of the thing. When you think about it choosing a sport that involves burying your nose into a handlebar for a solo, max effort ride against the clock is bound to attract a large proportion of insular people. And as Strava is the new, digital ‘Best All-Rounder’ title I think you have your answer.
Last edited by peetee on 29 Jun 2020, 11:46am, edited 1 time in total.
Current status report:
Back on two wheels in deepest Pastyland and loving every minute. Mission: to enjoy big, bad hills again.

Cyril Haearn

Postby Cyril Haearn » 29 Jun 2020, 11:43am

Oldjohnw wrote:

Presumably said in jest :(

Certainly not!
Entertainer, kidult, curmudgeon
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies

De Sisti

Postby De Sisti » 29 Jun 2020, 11:48am

Cycling the opposite way to a sportive that's taking place. Is one expected to every rider that approaches you, especially
if they're in large groups? :lol:

[Yes, I have been in that situation]

An antisocial cyclist is one that rides past you, within a handful of inches of your elbow, and becomes hostile after you've
politely asked them not to ride so close to you. :roll:

mjr

Postby mjr » 29 Jun 2020, 11:52am

De Sisti wrote:Cycling the opposite way to a sportive that's taking place. Is one expected to every rider that approaches you, especially
if they're in large groups? :lol:

[Yes, I have been in that situation]

Yes. I believe the custom is to shout "you're going the wrong way". ;)
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.

hamster

Postby hamster » 29 Jun 2020, 12:32pm

When I am driving I wave to everyone else in a Toyota. Rarely do they wave back. Is this symptomatic of a bigger problem? :lol:

ChrisButch

Postby ChrisButch » 29 Jun 2020, 1:11pm

I think there's a fundamental distinction between failing to respond to a greeting when passing, and being unwilling to enter into conversation with another rider going the same way. The first is simple discourtesy. The latter I've always found embarrassing and distracting, however friendly or well meant. Partly this is because my hearing isn't too good, and it's a strain. Partly it's because I've never been comfortable cycling and talking at the same time, even with, for instance, my tandem partner. The same is true when hillwalking. I've never understood the custom of couples or groups who keep up a constant chatter (often heard from a long way off) rather than taking in the surroundings.

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 29 Jun 2020, 1:15pm

hamster wrote:When I am driving I wave to everyone else in a Toyota. Rarely do they wave back. Is this symptomatic of a bigger problem? :lol:

It could be if you're driving a VW :? :wink:
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

Postboxer

Postby Postboxer » 29 Jun 2020, 1:24pm

Loud music in pubs isn't allowed when they reopen, as it's believed shouting may spread the virus more than just talking, which seems like it may make sense. Perhaps in the current climate some people are keeping themselves to themselves more, as they don't want to add to any risk of spreading the virus. Nothing wrong with a wave or a nod of the head though, but perhaps these are easy to miss?

Manc33

Postby Manc33 » 29 Jun 2020, 1:29pm

Postboxer wrote:...it's believed shouting may spread the virus more than just talking...

Comedy gold. :lol:
When two cyclists get married, they should throw anodized cable crimps instead of confetti.

Lakelander

Postby Lakelander » 29 Jun 2020, 1:45pm

Some acknowledge,some don’t.
I wouldn’t say it’s antisocial as such.