Cycle lift

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
whoof

Cycle lift

Post by whoof »

If it wasn't July rather than April and the thing didn't already exist in and Norway I would have thought it was made up.

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bris ... ke-4303224
Postboxer

Re: Cycle lift

Post by Postboxer »

Interesting to see if this progresses. There must be other places in the UK where one could be useful, any nominations?
Redvee

Post by Redvee »

Sounds good on paper but the left hand side of the road where I assume the lift will be has three side roads though I'd imagine the lift would stop at the junction with the last side road, don't think there are such issues with the lift in Norway. In the past when I've had to go to the top of Park Street I've ridden up through Trenchard Street muti-storey car park, I was younger then.
The last time I rode up Park Street was after drinks in the Naval Vounteer and two of the party had to go to Clifton and Henleaze so the race was between myself on a single speed road bike, a similarly aged guy on a CX bike, another guy on a MTB and a young lady on a hybrid. I held the lead till the last 30 yards when the CX bike came past and I conceded defeat.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Postboxer wrote:There must be other places in the UK where one could be useful, any nominations?

Headington in Oxford.

Jonathan

PS: But I'm not convinced... what is the experience in Norway?
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

I thought it was April 1st again!
Jon Lucas

Post by Jon Lucas »

A cycle lift up Park Street has been discussed for at least 20 years. The problem, as has been identified, is that there are side road junctions, two of which cannot be accessed easily from anywhere else, so they would be difficult to close off.

Park Street isn't actually that steep - even I have cycled up it many times, though it is probably a bit beyond me now. But it is very heavily used by cyclists, and I expect the main beneficiary of a cycle lift would be motorists who currently have lots of cyclists to try and pass on their way up. There are much better options for the road that could benefit cyclists.

Bristol has many steeper roads that are also well used by cyclists, and where a lift really would be a benefit. Ninetree Hill is an obvious example, or one of the roads up to Totterdown.
Pete Owens

Post by Pete Owens »

whoof wrote:I...l and the thing didn't already exist in and Norway ...

The fact that the thing (singular) was built in Norway more than a quarter of a century ago and is still the only example in the world probably indicates that it is not such a good idea in practice.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

One would need to learn how to 'mount' the thing, how many footsteps would there be, do they stop for a moment so one can hop on? Bet there would be some mishaps to start, not to mention drunken antics
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Jon Lucas wrote:Bristol has many steeper roads that are also well used by cyclists, and where a lift really would be a benefit. Ninetree Hill is an obvious example, or one of the roads up to Totterdown.

Ninetree Hill is significantly steeper but it's also much shorter. Easy to walk up, though a lot of people who "aren't cyclists" do manage to ride up it. It also isn't anywhere near as busy as Park Street.

Anyway, seeing as the announced closures of Corn Street and St Nicholas Street, let alone the busier Baldwin Street and Bristol Bridge, have been put back "to August," I really don't expect anything to come of this.
Redvee

Post by Redvee »

IF it does go ahead I can see people racing against those using the lift though the speed quoted will make it an easy win for some.
marquis26

Post by marquis26 »

Bmblbzzz wrote:
Jon Lucas wrote:Bristol has many steeper roads that are also well used by cyclists, and where a lift really would be a benefit. Ninetree Hill is an obvious example, or one of the roads up to Totterdown.

Ninetree Hill is significantly steeper but it's also much shorter. Easy to walk up, though a lot of people who "aren't cyclists" do manage to ride up it. It also isn't anywhere near as busy as Park Street.

Anyway, seeing as the announced closures of Corn Street and St Nicholas Street, let alone the busier Baldwin Street and Bristol Bridge, have been put back "to August," I really don't expect anything to come of this.

You mean "put back to Never", surely?
marquis26

Post by marquis26 »

Redvee wrote:Sounds good on paper but the left hand side of the road where I assume the lift will be has three side roads though I'd imagine the lift would stop at the junction with the last side road, don't think there are such issues with the lift in Norway. In the past when I've had to go to the top of Park Street I've ridden up through Trenchard Street muti-storey car park, I was younger then.
The last time I rode up Park Street was after drinks in the Naval Vounteer and two of the party had to go to Clifton and Henleaze so the race was between myself on a single speed road bike, a similarly aged guy on a CX bike, another guy on a MTB and a young lady on a hybrid. I held the lead till the last 30 yards when the CX bike came past and I conceded defeat.

It would make more sense to just allow cyclists (or anyone who isn't actually parked in there, since it's council owned!) to use the lifts in Trenchard Street Car Park to go up from Trenchard Street to Park Row...
Redvee

Post by Redvee »

marquis26 wrote:It would make more sense to just allow cyclists (or anyone who isn't actually parked in there, since it's council owned!) to use the lifts in Trenchard Street Car Park to go up from Trenchard Street to Park Row...

I used to ride up through the car park when I had to go from central Bristol back to my Mum's place near the top of Whiteladies Road, can't do that now without the security guards trying to catch you and If I need to get to the top of Park Street now I'll ride up past the BRI.