Public Footpaths - cycling?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
philvantwo

Re: Public Footpaths - cycling?

Post by philvantwo »

I'd pedal up there no problem, but then why would I want to go to gunnislake?
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

If you were to follow my posts properly ...................

................... you'd know that the river path is level and not "up".
In fact, from the bridge, the path goes down to river level.

Also, many people pass through Gunnislake, including many cyclists, but you know that because you're following me on this whole forum.

Give it a rest, or come down here and we can share a beer or two.
Mick F. Cornwall
RickH

Post by RickH »

No unauthorised vehicles is a sign that, I think, only applies to motor vehicles. Much like cul-de-sac signs on a road that may be filtered to allow through passage of pedestrians & cyclists into an adjoining road. It does not in itself prohibit cycling. Rectangular blue signs are advisory anyway.

In other news I noticed some new signs on the United Utilities road/footpath suggesting cycling & horseriding are officially OK (with United Utilities, Chorley Council & Lancashire CC logos)

Combined sign
Combined sign

Please respect other users...
Please respect other users...

Lots of different people use this route...
Lots of different people use this route...

The individual signs are repeated alternately along the route
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Quite a useful sign.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Latest one I saw today.
IMG_0082.jpg
Mick F. Cornwall
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Mick F wrote:If you were to follow my posts properly ....

And if you were to have followed mine and others' over some years, you would not have written your OP on this thread.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Yes TC.

If a public footpath goes across or along your land, you can dictate what uses it. Footpath, is for feet ......... or it would be if it were my land.

Google Streetview vehicle didn't go down Bakers Lane where me and the doggie - Sailor - walked down this afternoon, so I can't show the road or the driveway past the bungalow and into their woods as a public footpath.

Here's a satellite view instead. The public footpath is their driveway (heading south off the lane).
It's ripe for cycling on an MTB or trotting with a horse off-road.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.51142 ... a=!3m1!1e3
Mick F. Cornwall
sirmy

Post by sirmy »

rareposter wrote:
Mick F wrote:Walking the doggie yesterday and came out of the river path to cross the main road at Gunnislake Bridge.
Looking back to the track, and took this photo.

There are four or five houses along the track and they need access, but no-one else does, hence this sign.

What does it "legally" mean?
Can cyclists use it legally ............. or morally?
Would YOU cycle along that path?

Well the sign is an attempt to tell people that it's an access road, not a through road. However there is no definition of "authorised" or "unauthorised". So pretty much anyone driving up there could claim authorisation. Emergency services (obviously...). Deliveries. Services like utilities, plumber etc. Friends / visitors.

I mean, there's no-one sitting there with a clipboard ticking people off against an "authorised" list so if it's open to cars then, short of an official bylaw active for that road to prevent it, it's by default open to horses and bikes too.

As to the question of whether I would cycle along it, you can probably guess my answer! ;-)

Afraid your reasoning is a little flawed there. Authorised vehicles are those you listed, they've effectively been given permission to use the track by the landowner. However if Joe Public decided to drive along the track and park up they'd not only be trespassing but comitting an offence, can't remember the section but its an offence to drive a mechanically propelled vehicle other than on a highway without the landowners permission. To claim that not listing all authorised users makes it available to all is incorrect. You should also bear in mind that if you ride a bike along a PFP and have an accident any claim you tried to bring against the landowner would be severely weakened.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

sirmy wrote:However if Joe Public decided to drive along the track and park up they'd not only be trespassing but comitting an offence, can't remember the section but its an offence to drive a mechanically propelled vehicle other than on a highway without the landowners permission.

s34:
https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1988/52/section/34

Jonathan
rareposter

Post by rareposter »

I rode a FP yesterday with the full knowledge and permission of the landowner.

Was out on a road ride and the bridge out of the village to the road on the other side of the river was closed for repairs (completely closed, absolutely no way past). To get to the road on the other side would have meant 8 miles back to the main road, a few miles north across the only other bridge then pick up the opposite road and 8 miles back - all to get to a point about 200m away. Because I'd come into the village on very minor roads I'd probably missed whatever road signage had been in place for drivers using the main route saying that the village was essentially a cul-de-sac now.

Anyway, looking at the map there seemed to be a crossing of some description about 1 mile or so downstream so I rode off and accessed a track through a farmers field that had been opened for car parking. The guy there assured me that I could follow the track to the farmyard, out the other side and a FP would lead me to a little footbridge where I could cross the river and pick up the intended road.

Got to the farmyard and the farmer was there fixing up a tractor so I asked him where this FP was, explaining about the bridge closure in the village. He pointed me off to the end of the yard and gave me detailed instructions about the fields to cross, the landmarks I'd see and where to aim for. Asked him if it was OK to ride and he looked at the road bike and said cheerfully "ooh, might be a bit slippy on that but it's mostly OK!"

That wasn't really what I meant - I was asking him permission to ride a bike along it! Anyway, he said it was absolutely fine to do so, wished me a pleasant ride and off I went. However it did get me thinking as I rode along the FP that I had permission from the landowner (or tenant farmer, whatever he was) to be there on a bike but that any member of the public seeing me wouldn't know that. And then I thought of this thread!

As it happened I didn't see a soul - crossed the wonky little footbridge and was back on route with only a 3 mile diversion rather than a 20 mile one! Friendly farmers and footpaths for the win! :-)