Guy Ritchie banned for texting at the wheel

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Carlton green
Posts: 775
Joined: 22 Jun 2019, 12:27pm

Re: Guy Ritchie banned for texting at the wheel

Postby Carlton green » 24 Jul 2020, 11:19am

Cyril Haearn wrote:Carlton you are lenient, not harsh
What compassionate reasons do you have in mind?
I think the word 'compassionate' is wrong here, just as the use of 'hate' has been criticised elsewhere
..
Only a handful have lost their licences thanks to the vigilante, one hopes he can increase his activity


If I were to have to take a woman in labour or a seriously ill person to hospital then in my haste some rules of the road might get broken, likewise if the call on my services was unexpected and I was the only practical helper available. Obviously Ambulances are meant to support those people but in reality the service can not be relied upon. If my child or grand child was stranded somewhere and in some distress then I might feel forced to ‘push the boundaries’ of acceptable behaviour. Additionally ignorance of the law is no defence in the eyes of the law, however whilst the bulk of laws are ‘sort of’ known there’s always going to be an occasion where some unfortunate gets the wrong side of things. Mostly I suspect that the Crown Prosecution Service doesn’t pursue minor infringements, but occasionally such things are bound to happen. So, when the dice of life throws you that one on ten thousand disaster, compassion is appropriate whereas for not clearly abnormal (for the individual) and just plain reckless and antisocial behaviour it is not.

reohn2
Posts: 39667
Joined: 26 Jun 2009, 8:21pm

Re: Guy Ritchie banned for texting at the wheel

Postby reohn2 » 24 Jul 2020, 11:39am

reohn2 wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:.......Take a look at the "Regent's Park Corner" videos and see how many 2-wheeled road users commit an offence without any response from Mikey whilst he is waiting for the next 4-wheeled offender to commit an identical offence. That makes me uncomfortable.


I'll check out his videos :wink:

He's a man on a mission alright.
I watched a few and only saw one lad on an illegal motorised skateboard who TBF wasn't causing anyone any harm and was using the cycle lane anyway

Watching his videos made me think what if there were an army of Mikey's?
The roads would a safer place IMO :wink:
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

pwa
Posts: 12480
Joined: 2 Oct 2011, 8:55pm

Re: Guy Ritchie banned for texting at the wheel

Postby pwa » 24 Jul 2020, 11:59am

reohn2 wrote:[
........
As an aside,there's a small parade of shops on the edge the estate where I live with a chippy and newsagents that provide people with ready made litter which is evenly spread about the immediate aera.
There's a lady who lives four houses away from the shops and takes it on herself to pick up the litter on a daily basis to keep the place tidy and litter free.
When I've have a chatted with her it's apparent she's angry about the problem,some people may say she's a bit Cuckoo and needs to 'get a life'.
Personally I admire her for her tenacity on not giving up on a job that she sees as needing doing,because both the people dropping the litter(with two bins close by)and the LA for not doing the job for her when she's paid her council tax,and I've no doubt she's complained to the shop owners and the LA.


I do a bit of litter picking in our street, especially on recycling collection day, but I would not want anyone I care for to devote all their spare time to putting the world to rights. The odd hour or two, now and again, perhaps, but not a huge chunk of their life if it is not adding to their contentment. And I doubt repeated confrontation makes anyone contented.

There used to be an old lady in an urban village near Bridgend who stood outside a sex shop with a placard saying something like "Stop this filth", which always amused me but at the same time I wondered if she could be happy being that way. This is the place...
https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/3385261
Sadly, she is long gone.

whoof
Posts: 2364
Joined: 29 Apr 2014, 2:13pm

Re: Guy Ritchie banned for texting at the wheel

Postby whoof » 24 Jul 2020, 12:12pm

I think that these are very important points in this case.

"Bromley Magistrates Court banned Richie for six months on Tuesday after he admitted the offence, earning six points on his licence. It triggered a ban because it took him over 12, due to him already having nine from previous driving breaches"

If there were no case to answer or any mitigating circumstances they could have been put before the court and it would be for them to take these into consideration. How the case came before the court has no bearing on what actions the court took.

Any argument that there are others getting away with offences then you shouldn't be reported or prosecuted is very thin. There are plenty that get away with everything from road traffic offences to murder but because 100% of offenders are not reported and dealt with then you shouldn't deal with me is just wrong. Perfection should not be the enemy of the good.

reohn2
Posts: 39667
Joined: 26 Jun 2009, 8:21pm

Re: Guy Ritchie banned for texting at the wheel

Postby reohn2 » 24 Jul 2020, 12:17pm

pwa wrote:I do a bit of litter picking in our street, especially on recycling collection day, but I would not want anyone I care for to devote all their spare time to putting the world to rights. The odd hour or two, now and again, perhaps, but not a huge chunk of their life if it is not adding to their contentment. And I doubt repeated confrontation makes anyone contented.

There used to be an old lady in an urban village near Bridgend who stood outside a sex shop with a placard saying something like "Stop this filth", which always amused me but at the same time I wondered if she could be happy being that way.


I do understand what you're saying but,we don't know Mikey or the background to his 'mission',for all we know something in his past has triggered his devotion to doing what he does and the end of each day he may get some satisfaction in doing what he does.
If going to bed each night you think "well that's another few nailed" it can offer some satisfaction,but I take your point it must be stressful.
Having watched a few of his videos he seems a very calm individual in the face of adversity,not easily flustered by the confrontation he inevitably encounters,which takes a certain temperament facing what can lead to physical violence by people who feel justified in breaking the law.

FWIW one can't help but womder if the lady proresror outside the sex shop would've been keennon protesting outside a gun shop
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

reohn2
Posts: 39667
Joined: 26 Jun 2009, 8:21pm

Re: Guy Ritchie banned for texting at the wheel

Postby reohn2 » 24 Jul 2020, 12:20pm

whoof wrote:I think that these are very important points in this case.

"Bromley Magistrates Court banned Richie for six months on Tuesday after he admitted the offence, earning six points on his licence. It triggered a ban because it took him over 12, due to him already having nine from previous driving breaches"

If there were no case to answer or any mitigating circumstances they could have been put before the court and it would be for them to take these into consideration. How the case came before the court has no bearing on what actions the court took.

Any argument that there are others getting away with offences then you shouldn't be reported or prosecuted is very thin. There are plenty that get away with everything from road traffic offences to murder but because 100% of offenders are not reported and dealt with then you shouldn't deal with me is just wrong. Perfection should not be the enemy of the good.


+1.
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

Jdsk
Posts: 1242
Joined: 5 Mar 2019, 5:42pm

Re: Guy Ritchie banned for texting at the wheel

Postby Jdsk » 24 Jul 2020, 12:32pm

whoof wrote:Any argument that there are others getting away with offences then you shouldn't be reported or prosecuted is very thin. There are plenty that get away with everything from road traffic offences to murder but because 100% of offenders are not reported and dealt with then you shouldn't deal with me is just wrong. Perfection should not be the enemy of the good.

Yes. The choice by the police of how to use their limited resources should be matter of public scrutiny and accountability. But that doesn't apply to what a private individual does.

reohn2 wrote:Having watched a few of his videos he seems a very calm individual in the face of adversity,not easily flustered by the confrontation he inevitably encounters,which takes a certain temperament facing what can lead to physical violence by people who feel justified in breaking the law.

That's what I take from the videos too.

Jonathan

thirdcrank
Posts: 29041
Joined: 9 Jan 2007, 2:44pm

Re: Guy Ritchie banned for texting at the wheel

Postby thirdcrank » 24 Jul 2020, 12:49pm

With the caveat that I've not had time to watch any of the vids, I find it hard to see anything wrong with this cameraman.

He's not getting any bounty or other cash incentive (and he can't even be accused of going for promotion.) So, he's not acting as an agent provocateur, or - on the face of it - fabricating evidence. On the contrary, he's obtaining kosher evidence in the form of video footage, supported by his own testimony if needed.

The rights of his film stars - famous or otherwise - are protected by the fact that his reports are submitted to a police service, reputed on here to be more adept at fobbing people off than taking action, and the police in turn are submitting his reports to the CPS, who are required to use the evidential and public interest tests. Bearing in mind that using a mobile phone at the wheel is nationally classed as one of the so-called "Fatal Four" and the police inspectorate has recently bemoaned a reduction in enforcement of these offences, this must pass the public interest test. Also, the HMI seems to support Operation Snap - the submission of video footage by the public.

The final safeguard is that suspects can fight the cases in court, especially those with deep pockets. As I've posted previously, anybody on a mission is likely to be tested by a defence advocate, hoping to light the blue touch paper. In the absence of reports to the contrary, I'll assume that he has remained calm in court.

It's said that the prevention of offences is better than prosecution and he's certainly made the best use of social media and the dead tree press to publicise his activities. I can't remember the exact wording but IIRC in the Daily Wail interview, he emphasised that there are plenty of riders out there with cameras. Reading some of the comments on that report, I hope there's no retribution by self-righteous drivers

User avatar
Navara
Posts: 67
Joined: 29 Jun 2020, 11:38pm

Re: Guy Ritchie banned for texting at the wheel

Postby Navara » 24 Jul 2020, 1:01pm

I can't read the article due to pop-ups/ad-blocker etc.
From what I gather Mr Ritchie was stationary when the alleged offence took place?
So if I pull over,into a layby for instance,to answer a call or text and do so with the engine running it is an offence?Or if I'm stuck in traffic but stationary it's an offence?Ridiculous.
I can drive along at 70mph and answer a call or text using hands free/siri/cortana etc or I can reach over an change a CD or radio station but I can't text when stationary?
As if that's not daft enough we have some nut-job riding around trying to catch people doing it!?

We have some stupid laws but this one takes first prize.

pwa
Posts: 12480
Joined: 2 Oct 2011, 8:55pm

Re: Guy Ritchie banned for texting at the wheel

Postby pwa » 24 Jul 2020, 1:25pm

reohn2 wrote:FWIW one can't help but wonder if the lady protester outside the sex shop would've been keennon protesting outside a gun shop


:lol:
By pure chance, the local gun shop is across the road and no, she didn't protest outside that.
https://www.google.com/maps/@51.5395711 ... 2?hl=en-GB

thirdcrank
Posts: 29041
Joined: 9 Jan 2007, 2:44pm

Re: Guy Ritchie banned for texting at the wheel

Postby thirdcrank » 24 Jul 2020, 1:37pm

The suggestion that texting etc hands-free is legally ok is wrong, although it's not included in the specific phone use offence.

I've seen plenty of media reports where drivers have been convicted of one of the "bad driving" offences based on evidence of hands-free phone use. Also, IIRC it's an aggravating factor in sentencing.

The pity is that only looking for that sort of evidence after bad crash is IMO too late. Prevention is always better than detection.

Bonefishblues
Posts: 8107
Joined: 7 Jul 2014, 9:45pm
Location: Near Bicester Oxon

Re: Guy Ritchie banned for texting at the wheel

Postby Bonefishblues » 24 Jul 2020, 1:44pm

Navara wrote:I can't read the article due to pop-ups/ad-blocker etc.
From what I gather Mr Ritchie was stationary when the alleged offence took place?
So if I pull over,into a layby for instance,to answer a call or text and do so with the engine running it is an offence?Or if I'm stuck in traffic but stationary it's an offence?Ridiculous.
I can drive along at 70mph and answer a call or text using hands free/siri/cortana etc or I can reach over an change a CD or radio station but I can't text when stationary?
As if that's not daft enough we have some nut-job riding around trying to catch people doing it!?

We have some stupid laws but this one takes first prize.

It's a whole area of law which needs cleaning up, I think, including sentencing guidelines

Bonefishblues
Posts: 8107
Joined: 7 Jul 2014, 9:45pm
Location: Near Bicester Oxon

Re: Guy Ritchie banned for texting at the wheel

Postby Bonefishblues » 24 Jul 2020, 1:47pm

whoof wrote:I think that these are very important points in this case.

"Bromley Magistrates Court banned Richie for six months on Tuesday after he admitted the offence, earning six points on his licence. It triggered a ban because it took him over 12, due to him already having nine from previous driving breaches"

If there were no case to answer or any mitigating circumstances they could have been put before the court and it would be for them to take these into consideration. How the case came before the court has no bearing on what actions the court took.

Any argument that there are others getting away with offences then you shouldn't be reported or prosecuted is very thin. There are plenty that get away with everything from road traffic offences to murder but because 100% of offenders are not reported and dealt with then you shouldn't deal with me is just wrong. Perfection should not be the enemy of the good.

Nobody has sought to make that latter argument, nor would it be justified. Your previous point I think I made in post 2 of the thread.

pwa
Posts: 12480
Joined: 2 Oct 2011, 8:55pm

Re: Guy Ritchie banned for texting at the wheel

Postby pwa » 24 Jul 2020, 3:14pm

Bonefishblues wrote:
Navara wrote:I can't read the article due to pop-ups/ad-blocker etc.
From what I gather Mr Ritchie was stationary when the alleged offence took place?
So if I pull over,into a layby for instance,to answer a call or text and do so with the engine running it is an offence?Or if I'm stuck in traffic but stationary it's an offence?Ridiculous.
I can drive along at 70mph and answer a call or text using hands free/siri/cortana etc or I can reach over an change a CD or radio station but I can't text when stationary?
As if that's not daft enough we have some nut-job riding around trying to catch people doing it!?

We have some stupid laws but this one takes first prize.

It's a whole area of law which needs cleaning up, I think, including sentencing guidelines

I think we would all agree that texting while moving is inherently more dangerous than texting while waiting at the lights, but the latter is still illegal and it does still entail some risk because it is a distraction that could contribute to the driver moving off when they ought not to. But I agree that hands-free phone use is also a risk and I wish people wouldn't do it.

Cyril Haearn
Posts: 13737
Joined: 30 Nov 2013, 11:26am
Location: Leafy suburbia

Re: Guy Ritchie banned for texting at the wheel

Postby Cyril Haearn » 24 Jul 2020, 3:59pm

Navara wrote:I can't read the article due to pop-ups/ad-blocker etc.
From what I gather Mr Ritchie was stationary when the alleged offence took place?
So if I pull over,into a layby for instance,to answer a call or text and do so with the engine running it is an offence?Or if I'm stuck in traffic but stationary it's an offence?Ridiculous.
I can drive along at 70mph and answer a call or text using hands free/siri/cortana etc or I can reach over an change a CD or radio station but I can't text when stationary?
As if that's not daft enough we have some nut-job riding around trying to catch people doing it!?

We have some stupid laws but this one takes first prize.

Seems a very good law to me, requirement to turn off the engine creates a distance from using the phone when moving

Running the engine unnecessarily is an offence even without using a phone: noise, pollution energy use
..
Perhaps the ffp fairly famous person could have been booked for idling the engine too, more points

There seems to be an media obsession with fairly famous people, could the cops target/victimise them to get more headlines?
Entertainer, intellectual, idealist, PoB, 60097
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies