Poor Driving Standards

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
iandusud

Poor Driving Standards

Postby iandusud » 25 Jul 2020, 7:58am

My wife and I are spending a couple of days with our tandem in the Lake District. Having dropped off two of our children at a campsite in Buttermere we parked our car and did a 20 mile circular route taking in Winlatter and Newlands Pass. Coming down Newlands towards Buttermere we twice had oncoming vehicles pull out to drive around a row of parked cars where there clearly wasn't enough room to safely pass us. The second one actually overtook the vehicle in front who had stopped to allow us to pass. These were the two most dangerous incidents but we witnessed more bad driving in 20 miles than we would ever encounter in much longer rides in the Dales where we normally ride. Is this typical of the Lake District or is it just usual numpty tourist/weekend drivers?

BTW the ride up Newlands Pass was beautiful. Well worth it if you are in the area.

Paulatic

Re: Poor Driving Standards

Postby Paulatic » 25 Jul 2020, 9:13am

Numpties seem to be everywhere at the moment and I’d always avoid the Lakes in summer.
Also don’t forget
. Give way to road users coming uphill whenever you can
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/

simonineaston

Postby simonineaston » 25 Jul 2020, 9:17am

That's what you get when you make it so easy, by the medium of cheap credit, for ordinary, poorly educated people, fuelled by a constant drip feed of film & video game fast-driving fantasies, readily available drugs and a culture of speed, ownership and false entitlement, to get hold of cars whose performance would make a competition car from a couple of decades ago, look sleepy... dial in the notion of survivable crashes, where the crashee emerges from a fluffy pillow of spent air-bags, laughing, high on adrenaline and what have you got? Hell on earth for cyclists, that's what! Highway Code, anyone??
ttfn, Simon in Easton
(currently enjoying a Moulton TSR & a nano Brompton...)

Cyril Haearn

Postby Cyril Haearn » 25 Jul 2020, 9:18am

Wait OPPOSITE a passing place if it is on the other side
AKA 'drive on the left' :?
Entertainer, intellectual, idealist, PoB, 60097
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies

Oldjohnw

Postby Oldjohnw » 25 Jul 2020, 9:24am

The Lake District, delightful though it is, is not somewhere I venture in the summer months. I guess this year is worse than ever because of people holidaying in UK. Many have never driven in the hills or on mountain passes or narrow roads before.
John

Jdsk

Postby Jdsk » 25 Jul 2020, 9:28am

iandusud wrote:My wife and I are spending a couple of days with our tandem in the Lake District. Having dropped off two of our children at a campsite in Buttermere we parked our car and did a 20 mile circular route taking in Winlatter and Newlands Pass. Coming down Newlands towards Buttermere we twice had oncoming vehicles pull out to drive around a row of parked cars where there clearly wasn't enough room to safely pass us. The second one actually overtook the vehicle in front who had stopped to allow us to pass. These were the two most dangerous incidents but we witnessed more bad driving in 20 miles than we would ever encounter in much longer rides in the Dales where we normally ride. Is this typical of the Lake District or is it just usual numpty tourist/weekend drivers?

In my experience it's about the same everywhere.

Beautiful country.

Jonathan

PS: Congratulations on not throwing in a casual "nowadays" or "modern" or "young people" which so often turns an observation into an unevidenced rant.

simonineaston

Postby simonineaston » 25 Jul 2020, 10:08am

so often turns an observation into an unevidenced rant
Wait one cotton-picking minute... wot's the blinkin' forum for, if not a place to deposit my irrational, opinionated, unevidenced, illogical & ultimately pointless rants??
ttfn, Simon in Easton
(currently enjoying a Moulton TSR & a nano Brompton...)

iandusud

Postby iandusud » 25 Jul 2020, 11:48am

Paulatic wrote:Numpties seem to be everywhere at the moment and I’d always avoid the Lakes in summer.
Also don’t forget
. Give way to road users coming uphill whenever you can

Your point about giving way to uphill traffic is correct and one that I adhere to, but in both instances yesterday I was engaged on the section of road made narrow by parked cars on the opposite side before any oncoming traffic was in view. In other the cars in question approached a section of narrow road which was made even narrower by cars parked on their side and then, presumably seeing us coming towards them decided to proceed despite their not being anything like enough room to make a safe pass.

iandusud

Postby iandusud » 25 Jul 2020, 11:51am

Jdsk wrote:
iandusud wrote:My wife and I are spending a couple of days with our tandem in the Lake District. Having dropped off two of our children at a campsite in Buttermere we parked our car and did a 20 mile circular route taking in Winlatter and Newlands Pass. Coming down Newlands towards Buttermere we twice had oncoming vehicles pull out to drive around a row of parked cars where there clearly wasn't enough room to safely pass us. The second one actually overtook the vehicle in front who had stopped to allow us to pass. These were the two most dangerous incidents but we witnessed more bad driving in 20 miles than we would ever encounter in much longer rides in the Dales where we normally ride. Is this typical of the Lake District or is it just usual numpty tourist/weekend drivers?

In my experience it's about the same everywhere.

Whilst I agree that the standard of some people's driving is poor everywhere this was worse than my usual experience. However it is fair to say that the amount of road traffic was also higher than usual. Nonetheless worryingly poor.

Jdsk

Postby Jdsk » 25 Jul 2020, 12:45pm

iandusud wrote:Whilst I agree that the standard of some people's driving is poor everywhere this was worse than my usual experience. However it is fair to say that the amount of road traffic was also higher than usual. Nonetheless worryingly poor.

There's a widespread related trope about the emmets having lower driving standards than the locals. But of course that's confounded by the associated higher traffic density.

Jonathan