Getting fed up with pedestrians and dogs on "shared" paths

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
PLodon

Getting fed up with pedestrians and dogs on "shared" paths

Postby PLodon » 25 Jul 2020, 3:10pm

Last Thursday I cycled 13 miles home along part of cycle route 15 in Kent. It runs around the coast, and is a paved and mostly off road, appx 8 feet wide "shared" path. In reality you often have pedestrians, sometimes walking four abreast, usually ignoring any warning bells. Then there are all of the dogs, some off the lead and some on those awful extending leads, running all over the place. I've decided that, certainly in the summer, I'd rather take my chances on the road. When I came to one part of the route two women with pushchairs were completely blocking the path whilst having a chat, they didn't react at all to my polite, warning bell so I slowed right down and passed and shook my head. A chap, who I presume was related to them, said "Excuse me, why the shake of the head ?", I replied "It's a shared path", he stated "that's right and they're pedestrians, what do you expect", I replied "A little awareness", and cycled on. The whole trip was exhausting, not the cycling but the concentration required to negotiate unpredictable dogs and even more unpredictable people. :(
Still plodding on.... :D

Bonefishblues

Re: Getting fed up with pedestrians and dogs on "shared" paths

Postby Bonefishblues » 25 Jul 2020, 3:17pm

I agree, better to be on the road.

peetee

Postby peetee » 25 Jul 2020, 4:02pm

It’s a sad fact that even with accessible open land that is suitable for pet dogs most owners persist in walking them along paved surfaces which is not beneficial for paws or joints. Sad also that many of these dogs would, for want of a bit of training, enjoy a far better life and fitness if they were allowed off their leads for a bit of freedom running around on softer ground.
Riverside Park in Southampton is a case in point. Many dog owners walk along the shared cycle path from one end to the other and completely ignore acres of grass field either side while their leashed dogs swing from one side of the tarmac to the other sniffing around for something to relieve the monotony.
Current status report:
Back on two wheels in deepest Pastyland and loving every minute. Mission: to enjoy big, bad hills again.

Bonzo Banana

Postby Bonzo Banana » 25 Jul 2020, 5:59pm

Bonefishblues wrote:I agree, better to be on the road.

Possibly but then you are sucking down all those toxic fumes from vehicles. Some people are just morons they have no consideration for others and will quite happily block a path. Before this covid situation I would see the same in supermarkets where people would block aisles talking to each other you get those type of people everywhere but I feel at least where I am they are the exception. I would still use the shared paths and wait for them to move.

Vantage

Postby Vantage » 25 Jul 2020, 6:48pm

Pedestrians have right of way over cyclists.
Your bell is to warn others that you are there, not to make others move out of your way. Most people do, but if they don't, simply say "excuse me, may I pass you?" or some other polite request to pass.
As for dogs, walking them on paved surfaces helps wear down their nails. Many owners cannot control their dogs as they haven't been trained and so the best place for them is on a lead. The extendible ones allow the dog a degree of freedom without the risk of them running off.

We (dog owners) can do no right.
If the dogs are on leads, cyclists moan because they're blind and can't see them (failure to look on their part) and if they're off the lead, we get moaned at because cyclists keep hitting them. It seems many cyclists don't know what a brake is or how to use it.
I don't understand the difficulty in slowing down and manoeuvring around dogs and pedestrians in a safe manner. It completely mystifies me.
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.

simonineaston

Postby simonineaston » 25 Jul 2020, 6:51pm

I gotta great idea! Let's slim down the number of humans we got to share the place with! Genius! Wadd'ya think??
ttfn, Simon in Easton
(currently enjoying a Moulton TSR & a nano Brompton...)

Bonefishblues

Postby Bonefishblues » 25 Jul 2020, 7:03pm

simonineaston wrote:I gotta great idea! Let's slim down the number of humans we got to share the place with! Genius! Wadd'ya think??

We're going to build more paths to ensure all the shared use groups can use theirs unhindered by sharers who won't share nicely, shirley?

And squishy ones for Fido so their owners can't damage them by walking them on hard surfaces.

Solved the problem is. Well, along with the Dear Leader who's going to slim the people too.

axel_knutt

Postby axel_knutt » 25 Jul 2020, 7:19pm

Vantage wrote:The extendible ones allow the dog a degree of freedom without the risk of them running off.

I came across someone walking on one side of the road with the dog on the other side, and the lead extended all the way across the road like a cheesewire.
“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche

axel_knutt

Postby axel_knutt » 25 Jul 2020, 7:25pm

PLodon wrote:what do you expect", I replied "A little awareness"

IME when a group of pedestrians are blocking the path and talking, one will look up, see you coming, then carry on talking. Happens when I'm walking, as well as cycling.
“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche

landsurfer

Postby landsurfer » 25 Jul 2020, 7:33pm

Just share the path ... say hello , be nice to people .... or ... if you don't like sharing paths ride somewhere else ... like roads ...especially tarmaced for cyclists ... not cars ...
The Road Goes On Forever

thirdcrank

Postby thirdcrank » 25 Jul 2020, 7:39pm

I think it's fair to say that pedestrians should have priority (not right of way which means something else.)

OTOH, animals such as dogs are not human beings and should not enjoy any sort of priority over people. Obviously, guide dogs are a separate issue.

Cyril Haearn

Postby Cyril Haearn » 25 Jul 2020, 8:01pm

'Goodness me, that is a fine dog you have, what is his name, may I stroke him? Does he bite?'
One could spend a few minutes chatting with the dogperson, ones opponent/enemy, and win them as a partner

Heard a dog concert today, Barking Mad. An Irish Wolfhound was involved, one of my favourite breeds :wink:
Last edited by Cyril Haearn on 26 Jul 2020, 9:43am, edited 1 time in total.
Entertainer, intellectual, idealist, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we dislike mortons

Pebble

Postby Pebble » 25 Jul 2020, 8:19pm

as a pedestrian and dog walker I get fed up with the ignorance and uncaring riding of some cyclists who speed past at 20+ mph, they are no better than the moron car drivers who have no patience or care towards us cyclists.

If you are a cyclist on a shared path slow down to near walking space when passing pedestrians and any other living creature you may encounter. The ability to go faster than others does not give you any extra priority or importance.

Bonefishblues

Postby Bonefishblues » 25 Jul 2020, 8:31pm

Pebble wrote:as a pedestrian and dog walker I get fed up with the ignorance and uncaring riding of some cyclists who speed past at 20+ mph, they are no better than the moron car drivers who have no patience or care towards us cyclist.

A perceptive comment. I'm reminded of:

So, naturalists observe, a flea
Has smaller fleas that on him prey;
And these have smaller still to bite 'em;
And so proceed ad infinitum.

Pete Owens

Postby Pete Owens » 25 Jul 2020, 8:49pm

Just tweek a few of the words of the OPs anti pedestrian post slightly and you would end up with a standard anti-cyclist rant fit for a Daily Mail editorial.