Getting fed up with pedestrians and dogs on "shared" paths

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
sjs

Re: Getting fed up with pedestrians and dogs on "shared" paths

Postby sjs » 25 Jul 2020, 8:58pm

Pete Owens wrote:Just tweek a few of the words of the OPs anti pedestrian post slightly and you would end up with a standard anti-cyclist rant fit for a Daily Mail editorial.

Yep. Or +1 or something. Couldn't agree more, anyway.

martinn

Postby martinn » 25 Jul 2020, 9:44pm

Shared paths are just as the name implies a path that is shared equally by all parties that use it.
some of those parties will be able to share better than other parties.
The individuals perception of what is meant by that sharing action will vary from individual to individual.
Rules are then required because each of our perceptions of what it means to share is different.
Rules fall down due to ability/ will/ perception of how to enforce them.
The fall back position when you consider an action, should always be, to protect the most vulnerable user of that path, annoying and possibly irritating as it is sometimes, when you "know" that the other party is not willing to share nicely.
Martin

Tangled Metal

Postby Tangled Metal » 25 Jul 2020, 10:31pm

You slowed me down. You should not be in my way. Bl**dy cyclists! Sorry I mean pedestrians, sorry I meant dogs.

We can all blame those further down the hierarchy but who's right? The motorist, the cyclist, the runner, the pedestrians or the dogs?

chris_suffolk

Postby chris_suffolk » 25 Jul 2020, 10:50pm

So what about 'so called' shared paths, where there is a line down the middle? One side for pedestrians, the other for cyclists. But still perdestrians (in my experience at least) insist on using both sides and refusing to move. They don't walk down the road, with buggy or dog, but the cyclist half of a dual use 'path' seems to be fair game.

[XAP]Bob

Postby [XAP]Bob » 25 Jul 2020, 10:51pm

It’s is - it’s only cyclists that are restricted to one half.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.

chris_suffolk

Postby chris_suffolk » 25 Jul 2020, 10:53pm

They are usually clearly marked, with a pedestiran symbol on one side, a cyclist on the other, so why do you feel cyclists are restricted to one half whilst pedestrians are not?

Jdsk

Postby Jdsk » 25 Jul 2020, 10:54pm

martinn wrote:The fall back position when you consider an action, should always be, to protect the most vulnerable user of that path, annoying and possibly irritating as it is sometimes, when you "know" that the other party is not willing to share nicely.

Well said.

Jonathan

chris_suffolk

Postby chris_suffolk » 25 Jul 2020, 10:56pm

martinn wrote:The fall back position when you consider an action, should always be, to protect the most vulnerable user of that path, annoying and possibly irritating as it is sometimes, when you "know" that the other party is not willing to share nicely.

Which, by extension applies to bikes on the road - NOT!

Tangled Metal

Postby Tangled Metal » 25 Jul 2020, 10:58pm

There's a lot of them in Stockton where I visit regularly. There's nobody sticking to their side whether cyclists or pedestrians. The best such mixed use path behaviour I've seen over there was when all path users kept to the left in their direction just like in the roads. That's despite there being separated sides for pedestrians and cyclists. It probably worked better that way TBH.

Can any mixed path user get things right? Right according to the markings on the path and right according to each others expectations?

mjr

Postby mjr » 25 Jul 2020, 11:08pm

chris_suffolk wrote:They are usually clearly marked, with a pedestiran symbol on one side, a cyclist on the other, so why do you feel cyclists are restricted to one half whilst pedestrians are not?

We've seen the law and traffic orders. The only thing allowing cyclists to ride on the pedestrian side even when necessary has been the CPS deciding prosecuting it wasn't in the public interest! https://www.cyclinguk.org/news/20150204 ... -continues

Anyway, getting back to a previous point, while pedestrians have priority, they still shouldn't obstruct the highway unnecessarily, same as how cyclists aren't meant to ride five abreast on carriageways. And dogs should be kept on short leads, as stated in the Highway Code.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.

Pete Owens

Postby Pete Owens » 25 Jul 2020, 11:13pm

chris_suffolk wrote:They are usually clearly marked, with a pedestiran symbol on one side, a cyclist on the other, so why do you feel cyclists are restricted to one half whilst pedestrians are not?

Which is of course exactly the complaint of Daily Mail reading motorists when cyclists ride on the carriageway rather than use a cycle lane.

chris_suffolk

Postby chris_suffolk » 25 Jul 2020, 11:16pm

Pete Owens wrote:

Which is of course exactly the complaint of Daily Mail reading motorists when cyclists ride on the carriageway rather than use a cycle lane.

Except that many cycle lanes are not fit for purpose (parked cars, disappear at traffic islands, too narrow) whilst all dual use paths I have seen are split 50:50 down the middle. Now, if a cycle lane was half the road......

mjr

Postby mjr » 25 Jul 2020, 11:20pm

chris_suffolk wrote:
Pete Owens wrote:

Except that many cycle lanes are not fit for purpose (parked cars, disappear at traffic islands, too narrow) whilst all dual use paths I have seen are split 50:50 down the middle. Now, if a cycle lane was half the road......

No, I know of several in Lynn and Weston-super-Mare that were split majority in favour of walkers. The worst examples were as much as 7m walking to 2m cycling but I think they've all been desegregated now, which is good for cycling because the walkers used to walk in the 2m anyway.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 25 Jul 2020, 11:39pm

Tangled Metal wrote:.......We can all blame those further down the hierarchy but who's right?..........

The the problem is that there is a 'hierachy'. Instead of all being equals that treat each other with respect.

PS,we're agreeing again :wink:
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

Bonefishblues

Postby Bonefishblues » 26 Jul 2020, 7:56am

reohn2 wrote:
Tangled Metal wrote:.......We can all blame those further down the hierarchy but who's right?..........

The the problem is that there is a 'hierachy'. Instead of all being equals that treat each other with respect.

PS,we're agreeing again :wink:

Aren't we describing the human condition more generally, and their mode of travel is yet one more way in which they seek, consciously or unconsciously, to segregate and differentiate themselves from each other?