Out-and-back or circuit?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.

Out-and-back or circular for long day rides?

Out-and-back
1
3%
Circular
25
74%
Neither
1
3%
Both
7
21%
My navi does the thinking
0
No votes
 
Total votes: 34

User avatar
Mick F
Spambuster
Posts: 49437
Joined: 7 Jan 2007, 11:24am
Location: Tamar Valley, Cornwall

Re: Out-and-back or circuit?

Postby Mick F » 27 Jul 2020, 10:56am

Here I am, and you can see the Chaddlewood.
Not a pleasant walk at the best of times.



---------------------------------------
Edited to add the link that I should have done, but the WiFi at Toyota didn't let me.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Sno ... d-4.022252
Mick F. Cornwall

sjs
Posts: 820
Joined: 24 Jan 2010, 10:08pm
Location: Hitchin

Re: Out-and-back or circuit?

Postby sjs » 27 Jul 2020, 1:20pm

al_yrpal wrote:Getting bored? I must admit being bored after more than 40 years with Oxfordshire but have now realised that Devon is much more boring in comparison. Part of my reason for moving was to throw the jigsaw in the air to see where the pieces landed. Perhaps that is what Mick needs to do.
I think the disruption caused by the Covid situation has caused many of us to rexamine everything. A lot of people I know are very depressed and wondering whats next...

Al


Genuine question: why do you say Devon is much more boring than Oxon? Much tougher cycling for sure, but that's not the same thing.

User avatar
al_yrpal
Posts: 8735
Joined: 25 Jul 2007, 9:47pm
Location: Cully
Contact:

Re: Out-and-back or circuit?

Postby al_yrpal » 27 Jul 2020, 2:08pm

sjs wrote:
Genuine question: why do you say Devon is much more boring than Oxon? Much tougher cycling for sure, but that's not the same thing.


I lived in South Oxfordshire near the Berkshire border and Reading surrounded by many miles of natural accessible woodland. Devon is a footpath and bridleway desert in comparison. I miss The Thames and its nice Market towns. Few things like Concert Halls Theatres, Museums and Galleries here in Devon. Not many nice restaurants nearby. Perhaps I should have said "living in Oxfordshire" because London and its airports were so accessible in South Oxon. You could be in London using public transport in less than an hour. The coast where I used to keep a boat was an hours drive. The high hedges in Devon make cycling the lanes much less interesting.
My wife and I always resisted the requests for us to move to Devon because she thought we would be existing in a backwater. I think she was correct. Lots of people like the Devon coast, beaches and moorland here which is very nice. Its relatively early days for me here so Devon may grow on me.

Al
Touring on a bicycle is a great way to explore and appreciate the countryside and towns you pass through. Make a difference...

Marcus Aurelius
Posts: 1552
Joined: 1 Feb 2018, 10:20am

Re: Out-and-back or circuit?

Postby Marcus Aurelius » 27 Jul 2020, 2:10pm

It depends how pushed I am for time. Out and backs are less prone to time costly nav errors, but they are more of a mental drudge, as you see the same stuff out, and back. With a circular route, there’s no repetition, which helps if you’re going long.

Cyril Haearn
Posts: 13766
Joined: 30 Nov 2013, 11:26am
Location: Leafy suburbia

Re: Out-and-back or circuit?

Postby Cyril Haearn » 27 Jul 2020, 5:09pm

Used to do a hundred miles, 50+ out to a little chef, return retrace
Psychologically easier I thought, views are quite different in the other direction, I knew the roads were clear from obstructions, works, hedgeclippings etc

Complicated route on yellow roads in rural Herefordshire, had it all in my head

Retracing, the second half seems easier and faster
Entertainer, intellectual, idealist, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we dislike mortons

User avatar
NATURAL ANKLING
Posts: 11924
Joined: 24 Oct 2012, 10:43pm
Location: English Riviera

Re: Out-and-back or circuit?

Postby NATURAL ANKLING » 27 Jul 2020, 5:20pm

Hi,
al_yrpal wrote:
sjs wrote:
Genuine question: why do you say Devon is much more boring than Oxon? Much tougher cycling for sure, but that's not the same thing.


I lived in South Oxfordshire near the Berkshire border and Reading surrounded by many miles of natural accessible woodland. Devon is a footpath and bridleway desert in comparison. I miss The Thames and its nice Market towns. Few things like Concert Halls Theatres, Museums and Galleries here in Devon. Not many nice restaurants nearby. Perhaps I should have said "living in Oxfordshire" because London and its airports were so accessible in South Oxon. You could be in London using public transport in less than an hour. The coast where I used to keep a boat was an hours drive. The high hedges in Devon make cycling the lanes much less interesting.
My wife and I always resisted the requests for us to move to Devon because she thought we would be existing in a backwater. I think she was correct. Lots of people like the Devon coast, beaches and moorland here which is very nice. Its relatively early days for me here so Devon may grow on me.

Al

If you don't change your opinion of Devon then I feel you are lost.
Devon has everything, you just need to look.
I am sure it may well be the area you are in at the moment.............."Backwater" that probably depends on how you might like to socialise?
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.

User avatar
NATURAL ANKLING
Posts: 11924
Joined: 24 Oct 2012, 10:43pm
Location: English Riviera

Re: Out-and-back or circuit?

Postby NATURAL ANKLING » 27 Jul 2020, 5:23pm

Hi,
On rides circuits etc.
Long rides day etc will be loop.
Any type of training will probably include out and back with some small loop, unless its pure off road, unless its over fifty miles.
Out and back mainly for training as I can include more non traffic stuff :)
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.

User avatar
mjr
Posts: 15821
Joined: 20 Jun 2011, 7:06pm
Location: Norfolk or Somerset, mostly
Contact:

Re: Out-and-back or circuit?

Postby mjr » 27 Jul 2020, 5:42pm

Cyril Haearn wrote:Complicated route on yellow roads in rural Herefordshire, had it all in my head

I prefer circuits but I also prefer signposted routes, even if the signposts are a stream of village names rather than cycle route waymarks. It saves space in the head compared to following yellow bits on OS maps.

Even now, I can rattle off a route (not quite the best one) from central London to my home without looking at a map: C6 to Mount Pleasant Sorting Office, Q2 to CS1/C1 towards Tottenham and Enfield to NCN 12 to NCN 1 to NCN 61 to Ware, then old A10 (Baldock Street) to Puckeridge to B road to Harston, A10 to Cambridge, Guided Busway to the station, onwards to the river and over it, then Milton, Landbeach, Cottenham, Wilburton, Witchford, Ely, Littleport, Ten Mile Bank, Denver, NCN 11, Watlington, King's Lynn.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.

User avatar
Mick F
Spambuster
Posts: 49437
Joined: 7 Jan 2007, 11:24am
Location: Tamar Valley, Cornwall

Re: Out-and-back or circuit?

Postby Mick F » 27 Jul 2020, 5:58pm

Mick F wrote:Here I am, and you can see the Chaddlewood.
Not a pleasant walk at the best of times.



---------------------------------------
Edited to add the link that I should have done, but the WiFi at Toyota didn't let me.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Sno ... d-4.022252





Home now. :D
Sunshine ish, but the horizontal rain has gone and finished.
Mick F. Cornwall

User avatar
foxyrider
Posts: 4998
Joined: 29 Aug 2011, 10:25am
Location: Sheffield, South Yorkshire

Re: Out-and-back or circuit?

Postby foxyrider » 28 Jul 2020, 12:12am

Out is good, circuit is good, even commuting i'd try to use a different route on the return! i wouldn't claim to never re use road on a ride, its sometimes the only way without silly long diversions but its a rare thing even when i'm going to the shops on foot!

Obe big advantage of a curcuit/loop is that you are never going too far in any one direction which means you are less wind affected, i often do circuits that never go directly into the wind, so okay i don't get long lengths of help either but i'd rather not have a say, thirty mile tail wind followed by thirty of headwind, doesn't sound like fun to me.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!

Clouded Leopard
Posts: 22
Joined: 2 May 2020, 1:08pm
Location: East Lancashire Moors

Re: Out-and-back or circuit?

Postby Clouded Leopard » 28 Jul 2020, 8:43am

Normally Circular (prefer anti-clockwise) or figure of eight routes. However I always plan routes to enable a quick escape route back to the start if necessary.
When the earth becomes sick the animals will begin to die. When that happens The Warriors of the Rainbow will come to save them.

keyboardmonkey
Posts: 737
Joined: 1 Dec 2009, 5:05pm
Location: Yorkshire

Re: Out-and-back or circuit?

Postby keyboardmonkey » 28 Jul 2020, 8:52am

Cyril Haearn wrote:Figure-of-eight, +1, done some of those too
..
If one prefers circuits, does one try to do new ones, or does one repeat familiar ones?

Learned some more here already, +2


I live on the pan flat Holderness Plain to the east of Hull and since lockdown I've made use of the city's (pre-Covid) shared use bike lanes to go north to lumpier scenery rather than west in order to avoid busier places for traffic (Cottingham and Beverley for those who know the area). That means a bit of out and back to get me to a place called Cherry Burton and on to recognised NCN territory and quieter country roads.

From Cherry Burton there are almost limitless loop options on the Yorkshire Wolds and beyond. "Does one repeat familiar ones?" Here's my last ride: a skinny figure 8 route (with the out and back tail at the bottom) that I hadn't ridden before and might never do again...

Snainton skinny figure 8 Garmin Connect.jpg
Skinny figure 8 through the Holderness Plain, Yorkshire Wolds and Vale of Pickering

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/5262368837

(The crossover point of the figure 8 is Sledmere House, where I knew I could get refreshments from the farm shop if I needed them.)

I have a couple of favourite loops, but in the area I ride, mainly the Yorkshire Wolds, we are spoilt for choice. There are numerous route options and a choice of flattish or hilly courses to suit the mood and wind direction. Oh, and lovely cafes. :)

Oldjohnw
Posts: 4674
Joined: 16 Oct 2018, 4:23am
Location: Northumberland

Re: Out-and-back or circuit?

Postby Oldjohnw » 28 Jul 2020, 10:02am

keyboardmonkey wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:Figure-of-eight, +1, done some of those too
..
If one prefers circuits, does one try to do new ones, or does one repeat familiar ones?

Learned some more here already, +2


I live on the pan flat Holderness Plain to the east of Hull and since lockdown I've made use of the city's (pre-Covid) shared use bike lanes to go north to lumpier scenery rather than west in order to avoid busier places for traffic (Cottingham and Beverley for those who know the area). That means a bit of out and back to get me to a place called Cherry Burton and on to recognised NCN territory and quieter country roads.

From Cherry Burton there are almost limitless loop options on the Yorkshire Wolds and beyond. "Does one repeat familiar ones?" Here's my last ride: a skinny figure 8 route (with the out and back tail at the bottom) that I hadn't ridden before and might never do again...

Snainton skinny figure 8 Garmin Connect.jpg
https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/5262368837

(The crossover point of the figure 8 is Sledmere House, where I knew I could get refreshments from the farm shop if I needed them.)

I have a couple of favourite loops, but in the area I ride, mainly the Yorkshire Wolds, we are spoilt for choice. There are numerous route options and a choice of flattish or hilly courses to suit the mood and wind direction. Oh, and lovely cafes. :)


I loved my time cycling in the Wolds last year. I also had lunch at Sledmore House. Was planning a return visit his year but it isn't going to happen.
John

keyboardmonkey
Posts: 737
Joined: 1 Dec 2009, 5:05pm
Location: Yorkshire

Re: Out-and-back or circuit?

Postby keyboardmonkey » 28 Jul 2020, 3:20pm

Oldjohnw wrote:I loved my time cycling in the Wolds last year. I also had lunch at Sledmore House. Was planning a return visit his year but it isn't going to happen.

Do come back! Actually, the Coach House cafe in the grounds of Sledmere House is undergoing a major refurbishment - it is scheduled for completion in October - so will be even better if you return next year :)

whoof
Posts: 2365
Joined: 29 Apr 2014, 2:13pm

Re: Out-and-back or circuit?

Postby whoof » 28 Jul 2020, 3:35pm

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
al_yrpal wrote:
sjs wrote:
Genuine question: why do you say Devon is much more boring than Oxon? Much tougher cycling for sure, but that's not the same thing.


I lived in South Oxfordshire near the Berkshire border and Reading surrounded by many miles of natural accessible woodland. Devon is a footpath and bridleway desert in comparison. I miss The Thames and its nice Market towns. Few things like Concert Halls Theatres, Museums and Galleries here in Devon. Not many nice restaurants nearby. Perhaps I should have said "living in Oxfordshire" because London and its airports were so accessible in South Oxon. You could be in London using public transport in less than an hour. The coast where I used to keep a boat was an hours drive. The high hedges in Devon make cycling the lanes much less interesting.
My wife and I always resisted the requests for us to move to Devon because she thought we would be existing in a backwater. I think she was correct. Lots of people like the Devon coast, beaches and moorland here which is very nice. Its relatively early days for me here so Devon may grow on me.

Al

If you don't change your opinion of Devon then I feel you are lost.
Devon has everything, you just need to look.
I am sure it may well be the area you are in at the moment.............."Backwater" that probably depends on how you might like to socialise?

My in-laws said that Cornwall had nothing in comparison to London. I then pointed out that Cornwall has an Owl Sanctuary and London didn't!

It depends on what you want and like. I've lived in Devon and Cornwall and now 'Bristol'. The best things about being in Bristol are; I'm on the edge and don't need to go into it but I can ride in rural Wales, Cotswolds etc. I do sometimes ride through Bristol if I'm heading South West but other than a meeting the January before last I can't remember the last time I went into Bristol to do anything. You can have a job and that will pay a lot more.
Waiting to stop work and move back to Cornwall as there's so much more to do.