Rosie Swales Pope MBE

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Mick F
Spambuster

Rosie Swales Pope MBE

Post by Mick F »

Met her today - twice.
What a woman! :shock:
https://rosieswalepope.co.uk
https://www.facebook.com/rosieswalepope/

She's walking from LE to JOG pulling a "pod" behind her that she sleeps/eats/lives in.
Met her whilst I was riding up out of the valley into Devon on the A390. She was having a breather and sorting stuff out, and I saw the "pod" in a layby declaring Land's End to John O'Groats. Her pod has all creature comforts inside, and a solar panel on the roof.
She interviewed me on her 'phone, and was going to upload it to her page.

She's a very chatty lady in her mid 70s, and it was difficult getting word in edgeways, but we chatted for 15mins or more. At that point, I didn't know who she was particularly, but after getting back on my way and considering it all, I had a good idea who she was.
Quite a "racey" lady as I remember from the 1970's appearing in Fiesta magazine. Her and her husband sailed from Oz to UK via Cape Horn. Lots of nude photos too. :oops:

On my way back, who should I see, but Rosie again!
Another chat, and then I was off home for lunch.

She was heading for Tavistock for supplies, and I asked her where her next stop for the night was, and how she's going to get back from JOG etc etc ............... answer?
She has no idea where's she's stopping each day/night other than she'll find somewhere quiet - but not too quiet - and settle down.
She's keeping a blog going and a FB page, but I can't seem to find much online about this walk/trek.

Maybe you lot out there in CUK land, can find her up-to-date pages.
Like a fool, I forgot to ask.
Mick F. Cornwall
reohn2

Re: Rosie Swales Pope MBE

Post by reohn2 »

Incredible woman! :shock:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

Just watched the video Mick F!
She don't look bad for 72 does she? Funny she asking about your small wheeled bike. Fancy telling her you can get up a cliff face on it though!! Ooooh you forgot to mention to her you were once in the navy!!!!
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

philvantwo wrote:Just watched the video Mick F!
She don't look bad for 72 does she? Funny she asking about your small wheeled bike. Fancy telling her you can get up a cliff face on it though!! Ooooh you forgot to mention to her you were once in the navy!!!!
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Link please...I can’t find it :cry:
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

No, I don't know how to find it either. Link please.
She's 74 in October BTW and quite a looker.

We were chatting ......... or should I say I was trying to get a word in edgeways .......... and she pointed her camera at me and I expect a quick photo, but she was filming. I wasn't prepared and just said the first things to enter my head.

She'd already marvelled at my Moulton and saw the extra gearing and stuff, so that's where that subject came from on the movie.

Her pod is heavy. She was telling me that the other one she has has an alu frame, but the one she had was heavy square-section steel and weighed a ton! She got me to try and lift on corner!
Inside the pod, she has all she needs. Bed, electrics, computer, cooking, lighting, water, rubbish sacks.

It appears that she was only a mile up the road before Gunnislake village on Saturday as people had seen her passing through, so I don't know where she stayed that night - railway station car park?

It was about 09:45 when I saw her a couple of miles out of Gunny on the Tavistock road, and two hours later as I was heading home, she was only 400yds further on! She told me she does a lot of writing and networking, so that's why she keeps stopping.

Where she is now, I have no real idea as she was very vague about her route or timescales. Perhaps on the Tavistock/Okehampton road.
Mick F. Cornwall
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

PS:
I took this photo just to capture her name, expecting everything else to be followed via Google and FB.
IMG_0017.jpg
Mick F. Cornwall
pedalsheep

Post by pedalsheep »

A few years ago she ran round the world with a similar set up!! Spent months if not years crossing Russia. Her book 'Just a Little Run Around the World' is a great read.
'Why cycling for joy is not the most popular pastime on earth is still a mystery to me.'
Frank J Urry, Salute to Cycling, 1956.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Mick F wrote:PS:
I took this photo just to capture her name, expecting everything else to be followed via Google and FB.IMG_0017.jpg

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_ ... 1047734463

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

That's me then! :oops:

What a lady eh?

I was hearing Neil Diamond earlier this afternoon, singing Crackling Rose ................

Look up the lyric, and think of her. :wink:
Mick F. Cornwall
rjb

Post by rjb »

Looks like she is hauling it up Pork hill and Merrivale enroute to Princetown. Hats off, Chapeau.
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

rjb wrote:Looks like she is hauling it up Pork hill and Merrivale enroute to Princetown. Hats off, Chapeau.
How do you know?

Please post a link.

Well done for even thinking about Pork Hill. Maybe the hardest climb on the roads in UK anywhere, despite what people might say about other hills Up North.
Mick F. Cornwall
rjb

Post by rjb »

Mick F wrote:
rjb wrote:Looks like she is hauling it up Pork hill and Merrivale enroute to Princetown. Hats off, Chapeau.
How do you know?

Please post a link.

Well done for even thinking about Pork Hill. Maybe the hardest climb on the roads in UK anywhere, despite what people might say about other hills Up North.

Theres a map on her facebook page on the link posted by al. https://m.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1047734463
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I don't have and do not want, a FaceBook identity.
Al's link is different to yours insomuch that Al's link brings up photos and my interview.
Your link want's me to log in .............. that I will not do.

Link please, that doesn't need a login or a subscription to FB.
Mick F. Cornwall
RickH

Post by RickH »

Mick F wrote:Well done for even thinking about Pork Hill. Maybe the hardest climb on the roads in UK anywhere, despite what people might say about other hills Up North.

We went that way on LEJOG in 2009. Its a bit of a long drag but it definitely wasn't the worst climb on the route (which was a particluarly hilly one).

I could think of plenty worse than Pork Hill if I set my mind to it.

I agree with others previously that Rosie's book of her 5 year trip round the world is a good read
DSC_3297.JPG
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Mick F wrote:I don't have and do not want, a FaceBook identity.
Al's link is different to yours insomuch that Al's link brings up photos and my interview.
Your link want's me to log in .............. that I will not do.

Link please, that doesn't need a login or a subscription to FB.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_ ... SSyuEvEs0O

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......