Rosie Swales Pope MBE

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
philvantwo

Re: Rosie Swales Pope MBE

Post by philvantwo »

Mick F was right............

There's nobody about!
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Traditionally is was always Land's End to JOG, but the place is boring and empty, plus your friends and relations would object to going all the way up there to meet and greet you.

Do it the other way! JOG to LE - as when you finish there's always someone there and any folk wanting to meet and greet will find it easy to be there too.
Mick F. Cornwall
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Mick F wrote:Traditionally is was always Land's End to JOG, but the place is boring and empty, plus your friends and relations would object to going all the way up there to meet and greet you.

Do it the other way! JOG to LE - as when you finish there's always someone there and any folk wanting to meet and greet will find it easy to be there too.

I think you offer that opinion because you are south Britain oriented.
Imagine your friends and family living closer to JoG will reverse your decision. I’m a little over the half way point and if I wanted family at the end of the ride would choose JoG simply because it’s less congested driving there.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

Having read mick f's on-line blog about his ride, all of his welcoming party were waiting for him back at the boozer down the lane from his abode!
I've also read that the photographer at lands end takes the arms off the signpost home with him when he finishes work.......is that just out of spite?
roberts8

Post by roberts8 »

Was at LE a couple of years ago and was surprised that you could not walk up to the famous signpost as of old without payment as the area is a not very nice themed area. We drove so no effort involved. When did they start charging or is my memory of it being free playing tricks on me?
rjb

Post by rjb »

How difficult would it be to take a photo out of hours and Photoshop the sign in there with your own name. :wink:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Three answers here.

If you lived in Scotland or the far north of England, it would indeed make a difference to your End2End direction, and it's obvious.
By far the majority of the population live in the south, so I was generalising for the benefit of the majority.
Half-way between JOG and LE is just south of Carlisle.
It's easier to travel from the half-way point to LE than it is to JOG.

Been to LE a few times over the years, and never need to pay a penny for the car park. It's free if you're only picking up or dropping off. Out of season, there's no charge at all IME
Alternatively, park at the First and Last Inn and have a beer and a meal. Short walk/cycle to LE.
Massive carpark.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.07077 ... 312!8i6656

Anyone can walk to the signpost.
It's on the SW Coastal Path, for one thing, so it must be free.

Edited to add Google link for the First and Last Inn.
Mick F. Cornwall
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Mick F wrote:
Been to LE a few times over the years, and never need to pay a penny for the car park. It's free if you're only picking up or dropping off. Out of season, there's no charge at all IME
Alternatively, park at the First and Last Inn and have a beer and a meal. Short walk/cycle to LE.

Anyone can walk to the signpost.
It's on the SW Coastal Path, for one thing, so it must be free.

The latter's the same as Blenheim Palace, I expect - pay through the proverbial to get through the main gate, pay nothing to come in on one of the several public footpaths that cross the estate.
cycle tramp

Post by cycle tramp »

Mick F wrote:Traditionally is was always Land's End to JOG, but the place is boring and empty, plus your friends and relations would object to going all the way up there to meet and greet you.

....the main reason given for riding from Land's End to John O'Groats was the route was mostly traveling north-north-west or north-west-west, and as such if you travel in this direction you are most likely to encounter favourable winds. When you look at the cycling records held for this journey, you'll most often find that the wind played a particular role in helping the organisationers to decide when to make the journey.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Try it over the last week eh?
Strong constant northerly winds.
Not nice though. Cold, frosty, snowy! :lol:
Mick F. Cornwall
philsknees

Post by philsknees »

For those interested in her activities, I've just received this as part of a PHD newsletter:
"Running unsupported from Sussex to Kathmandu when the coronavirus pandemic struck, Rosie Swale-Pope had no choice but to fly back from Turkey in June 2020. Unable to continue with her original plan, in July she set off to run from Land’s End to John O’Groats, and, on Christmas day, become the oldest person to complete the trip unsupported on foot. The 74-year-old adventurer now intends to reach Kathmandu via Russia, and PHD kit, including our new Denali Jacket, will be with her."
Followed by this link - which explains what she's up to next :
https://www.phdesigns.co.uk/thelowdown/ ... -and-huge/
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Not quite true regarding running from LE to JOG.
She was walking, and towing a big trailer/caravan.
Mick F. Cornwall
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

£1,384 for a sleeping bag??
£947 for a jacket??
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

philvantwo wrote:£1,384 for a sleeping bag??
£947 for a jacket??
Astronomical pricing eh? :shock:

I bet she didn't pay it, but is being supplied for the stuff for publicity.
Mick F. Cornwall
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

She's pulling that trailer you saw her with in Devon to Kathmandu via Russia Mick F!!
How long do you reckon its going to take her? :roll: