London to Brighton - advice for a newbie

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Food4thought

London to Brighton - advice for a newbie

Postby Food4thought » 8 Aug 2020, 10:08am

hello folks,
i've just started cycling a month ago and i;ve signed up to the london to brighton ride in september.
i can do about 50k at the moment.
any suggestions to improve this to 80k for the ride?
Any advice would be appreciated, like what i need to take, glasses, gel gloves, what to wear etc?
Trainers or do i need to get bike shoes?
i also need to find out what to buy to oil my bike and to maintain it :-)

thanks, and looking forward to some advice.

F4T.

nosmarbaj

Re: London to Brighton - advice for a newbie

Postby nosmarbaj » 8 Aug 2020, 11:27am

If you can do 50km reasonably comfortably now, you should be OK to do a one-off 80-90km in mid September. Just do a couple of longer rides in the next few weeks, and take it fairly easy for a week or so before the event

Regarding clothing, most but not all cyclists would use cycling shoes, padded mitts and glasses of some description for a ride of that length. Many would also wear padded cycling shorts. If you are comfortable without these items, that's fine. Personally I wouldn't be happy without eye protection and gloves of some kind. You can easily get insects or road grit in your eyes; and if you're unlucky enough to fall off, gloves/mitts give some protection to your naked skin - you'll instinctively put a hand out to break the fall.

Regarding general maintenance, you'll find lots of advice online, and can ask specific questions here. As for oil, anything is better than nothing, but any bike shop will advise you on what's best for your bike and style of riding. (I tend to use Finish Line wet lube, but there are lots of different opinions.)

Vorpal

Postby Vorpal » 8 Aug 2020, 1:10pm

You don't need bike shoes. You should wear whatever is comfortable for you.

https://www.wokinghambikeathon.co.uk/royce/ is for a different event, but the advice about what to check is good. If you find something that needs repair or adjustment, you can try Park Tools' or Sheldon Brown's sites for how to, or ask on here.

I've known people to do such events with no training whatsoever. The reason to train is to do it *comfortably*. The best way to extend your capability is to increase gradually. Keep riding reguarly, and take a slightly longer, long ride at least once per week.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

Food4thought

Postby Food4thought » 9 Aug 2020, 12:37am

thank you, i will get some gloves. and i use my normal sunglasses as they have my prescription already in there. i;m just worried about getting a puncture so will carry a spare inner tube :-)
i'm going to practice 60k tomoorrow :-)

Panarin

Postby Panarin » 9 Aug 2020, 10:40am

Apologies to also participate in the topic, I was checking the route on Komoot, and I am not sure it is 100% doable with a road bike with 25mm (Continental Grand Prix 5000 / Attack 25 mm)?

I am planning to do it back and forth, is the way back on the same exact path / is it enjoyable? Plan is morning to Brighton, break fish and chips with a friend then we relax a bit then we head back.

Graham

Postby Graham » 9 Aug 2020, 11:15am

Panarin wrote:I was checking the route on Komoot, and I am not sure it is 100% doable with a road bike with 25mm (Continental Grand Prix 5000 / Attack 25 mm)?

It's all on-road as far as I'm aware. Could you be more specific about the part(s) that you are worried about ?

Panarin wrote:I am planning to do it back and forth, is the way back on the same exact path / is it enjoyable? Plan is morning to Brighton, break fish and chips with a friend then we relax a bit then we head back.

I assume that you are referring to the mass-participation event ( with ten thousand + riders ) ?
If you are capable of riding there and back I would suggest that :-
- This is probably not an event for a capable / experienced / rider. i.e. it is more a big, slow chaotic party on wheels - with a high number of beginners & inexperienced riders.
- Trying to ride back on the same route, against the residual flow will not be practical. The flow of slow riders will continue long into the afternoon. They will be all over the road. You would likely be forced to divert away.

Panarin

Postby Panarin » 9 Aug 2020, 11:21am

Graham wrote:It's all on-road as far as I'm aware. Could you be more specific about the part(s) that you are worried about ?

I was just checking Komoot and there was a warning I think it is just due to the 200m of "path" ... but it seems to be mostly road I wanted a "real" opinion rather than just trusting the app! Thanks for that.

Graham wrote:I assume that you are referring to the mass-participation event ( with ten thousand + riders ) ?
If you are capable of riding there and back I would suggest that :-
- This is probably not an event for a capable / experienced / rider. i.e. it is more a big, slow chaotic party on wheels - with a high number of beginners & inexperienced riders.
- Trying to ride back on the same route, against the residual flow will not be practical. The flow of slow riders will continue long into the afternoon. They will be all over the road. You would likely be forced to divert away.

Ah my bad, I was not planning to take part in the event, I will do it with a friend on a different date to be more comfortable, even during week-days. Your first point reassure me as my friend is a "beginner" but used to several 50km ride and runs a lot but it seems to be something doable for someone like him.

Thank you Graham